Brad mentioned as a candidate for the Iowa State job

lefty

It's on the front page of their Rivals website. It mentions the Pollard connection, modest success at SLU and as a Dick Bennett protege a slow and deliberate style of play.It also mentions other potential candidates - Ron Jeter at UW-M, Tom Moore, Ass't at UCONN, and Mark Turgeon at Wichita State.

Okay....let's see here...this btw is also on the other board in different thread fyi....

Some folks in Iowa were also throwing out some Valley coaches. ...N. Iowa, Creighton, SIU...on top of the above, Tom Moore, Rob Jeter, etc....

First I will take the last...no, BS wwouldn't leave SLU for UWM. I believe Rob Jeter makes 300k not including extras ...i.e. radio/tv...shoe deal etc...camps...It is Jeter's first year, after playing D-III and coacing D-III with wild success inder UW's Bo Ryan, Jeter was asst at UWM and Marquette, ....he has never left Wisconsin. He is however connected to Pollard. Iowa St. is better job than UWM. So with the connection I can see the possibility...but Jeter has one year of head coaching experience...despite a lot of assistant success everywhere he has been. Jeter would take it if he was comfortable with Pollard and no scandals there etc...and he was willing to leave WI.....Jeter would be a top candidate for the UW Madison job down the road when Bo Ryan hangs it up....Ryan is still only 58, so that will be a while. But Jeter would be a likely top choice, and he would likely take it.

Altman didn't have interest 3 years ago...so why would he have interest now? ...if convinced the school is getting cleaned up...new AD etc...but I don't see that one.

N. Iowa...I can see him taking it...if offered. Doesn't have to leave state, and gets to move into Big 12 with more $$...challenege etc...Definitely can see that one...

Lowery at SIU...possible...but with the other connections already in place, don't see him being considered over the above two guys.

BS? Hasn't shown the sucess yet at SLU. The Catholic school stuff is BS. That is nice and all....but BS would be more than happy to coach a state school too. Coming from the guy who still isn't "over" his dream job at Wisconsin. Can't see him being considered too strongly.

Moore...Conn has produced assistant coaches with success, Leitao, Hobbs etc....in head coaching jobs.

They will most likely hire a guy with ties to Pollard.....or a regional coach imo. .....

BS, I don't think would get serious consideration...if he did......not sure what his interest level would be...having coached and lived in Iowa....being more of a rural guy....with the resources, fan support etc....it is the kind of place that would fit BS. I don't think the hire will appease ISU fans...no offense to BS. ....so it is moot to me...with plenty of candidates out there. Bs is not likely to ever coach one of the four D-I schools in WI...so a return there is unlikely. ....SLU is a better job than UWM.

Depends on what type of coach/person Pollard wants.

Brad is Catholic. I've heard him say before that one of the reasons he feels most comfortable with coaching at SLU is that it is a Catholic school. As a result, that might be a factor in a decision on Brad's part.

That being said, I don't think Brad will have to make that decision anyway. He is right around .500 in four seasons at SLU, and his best seasons are two early NIT exits. While I think that he has built a good foundation at SLU, I really don't think at this time he is a very attractive coaching candidate for another school.

I would agree that he won't be strongly considered, and I would agree he feels comfortable at SLU.

Brad's dream job was/is the Univeristy of Wisconsin. A 50,000 public school. Why woudln't his dream job have been Marquette or whomever else???

Let's not be naive. If Brad had greater first few year success...and if SLU wasn't building new arena ...etc...don't kid yourself.

I don't know anything about his connection to Pollard, but would doubt his hire would have ISU fans jumping for joy. You look who gets hired for the biggies, he doesn't fit the bill....yet. Not a proven great recruiter, no NCAA invites in 4 years, two years with no post season invites, has a rep for playing Bennet ball. Assume SLU were looking for a new HC and we bought in a guy with his resume? Would there be a buzz of excitement on the board? I think not.

Look at all the names that come up in the Post for the Mizzou job that are no way applicable to Mizzou. Not saying BS is a candidate....because I don't think he would be one....just saying...just because something is or isn't in a newspaper doesn't make it true. Did it come from Pollard's mouth? Or is it some newspaper guy speculating or hoping....etc..

And yes, Soderberg attends Mass almost daily at SLU. Sometimes more than once a day even.....

I believe they have churches in Iowa, Wisconsin with altars and everything.

For better or for worse BS isn't going anywhere anytime soon. That is good or bad based on your opinion of him as SLU's coach.

1. I wouldn't put much stock in the Brad / Jamie Pollard connection. Jamie was Alvarez and Richter's guy. Richter was the one that let Brad go.

2. I would agree that Brad's relative success or lack of would not have him as a candidate for No. Iowa's job. However, Bball coaches like schools with football programs. It adds name recognition and helps in recruiting and campus visits.

3. Brad is catholic (as has been mentioned.) He is also what I would call a charismatic catholic who used to be (maybe still is) active in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

4. Is UW-M a better job than SLU? Maybe doesn't pay as much, but MUCH easier to get kids into school and keep them eligible.

Personally, I don't think he's going anywhere, but not necessarily because he wants to stay at SLU, rather that there is not a lot of interest in him in places he'd consider a step up.

Fun to speculate!

UWM pays Jeter $300,000 base salary. Not included are tv, radio, shoe, camps, etc....money....which would bump that up a bit.

Kids still have to qualify to go to UWM like anywhere else. Even Duke has the Sociology of Basketball degreee.

While it is tougher to keep kids eligible at SLU than some other places....there are plenty of places with tougher academics than SLU doing quite well in hoops.

Yes this comparison made was to UWM academics v SLU, and yes UWM will take more at risk but eligible kids. But imo the academics with SLU are overplayed at times on here. If a kid is a decent student, he can get by at most schools if he hoops. Jucos as well are welcome at SLU and other places too.

As far as programs go....UWM had I believe NEVER had a winning season...before Bo Ryan's two years there at .500 level ball, slightly higher...then Bruce Pearl's run...now Jeter....not exactly storied history. Commuter school with most of their kids coming from Milwaukee, the rest of Wisconsin and Chicago...they do have other strong sports teams men's and women....and perhaps will step up their exposure and commitments some time....their highly successful soccer coach who goes to NCAA's each year...just went cross town to Marquette in a big time eye opening move, for a lot more cash. In role reversla he left the soccer power and went cross town to start a power at the higher profile school.

Hoops, for now, sure...it is on par with SLU.......play-wise.....venue-wise, off campus...As recently as a few years ago they played their games in their own, nicer version of Wespine gym....until Bruce Pearl said enough of that, we will play in 11k seat Mecca downtown. And to the amazement of many.....Pearl drew fans and won games.....extraordinary accomplishments.....love hime or hate him... Bo Ryan started the foundation though. Pearl advanced it a lot....this is all within the past ten years or less....the reason they are playing at similar level is the hiring of two excellent basketball coaches, and a promising 3rd coach.

And, UWM frankly is one bad coach away from being a mid-major dormant team again.....that is unlikely, and it won't be happening with Jeter. ...but if Jeter left..and the next coach faltered a bit....and the next one flatered....think UMSL at D-I level...or Chicago St. again...it won't happen any time soon...but you get the point.

UWM has a hard enough time with their school name. People still don't call it Milwaukee Panthers up there. They still say UWM. And that doesn't help make the school anything more than local, regional.

UWM is basically the same as UIC....much bigger schools than you think, large portion commuter, local, ...Butler.....etc...perfect conference for them right now. Very like minded schools and teams.

SLU has much greater potential....albeit potential than that. But sure, if UWM keeps racking up NCAA resumes....and winning in the tourney...wouldn't take too long to be at SLU's level or surpass it....if SLU doesn't pick it up. Which of course we all expect them to do with good young recruits, new arena, etc...

Hoops, for now, sure...it is on par with SLU.......play-wise.....venue-wise, off campus...

2 NCAA tourneys in 2 years and they're "on par" with SLU?

Look at how quickly UW-M was able to turn itself around, if perhaps only temporary. Why hasn't SLU been able to do that with LR and BS? I'm not ready to put them in with the big boys, but if I'm a kid looking to commit to a program, I have to rate them higher right now in terms of basketball than SLU. Remember, these are 18 year old kids with pretty short memories.

Also, not to be argumentative, but it's much easier to keep a borderline kid eligible at UW-M than SLU.

UWM's progress has been six years in the making. And, they have made the tourney more than twice in that time....and yes they have had better basketball teams than SLU during that time. It took a few years with Bo Ryan, and Bruce Pearl. Part of the reason it went relatively quickly was the level of their league. The bieggest reason for their turnaround by far was the hiring of Bo Ryan, and then Bruce Pearl. They got local athletic kids, Chicago kids, and some transfers.

If SLU doesn't build an arena, and doesn't increase athletic budget, and doesn't do anything to boost theri program, then fine, UWM would be a better job based on current success.

Jeter is already in on some good players...but he will lose a ton of Pearl's seniors. UWM will be rebuilding next year. And while it is rare a coach leaves after one year....how often is Jeter going to get the opportunity to go to a Big 12 conference, and coach a solid basketabll school? If UWM falls back next year, and for whatever reasons....Jeter can't match the recent success(wasn't hard to win with this year's returning talent).....he gets to double his base salary at Iowa St. He gets to immeditaely jump up into a big conference situation.....knows the AD.....he's worked in rural towns before so that shouldn't be a concern....I am sure he has Bo Ryan on speed dial on this one. Eventually some day, Jeter is likely to coach the Badgers, regardless of where he is at the time. Wouldn't shock me either way if Jeter left or stayed to prove himself and stay in WI where he likes it....that would be two coaches in two years at UWM.

And no, Soderberg wouldn't really be seriously considered for this job.