Zero heart

VTIME

I dont want to hear anymore about how Soderberg coaches defense and heart and desire. I'm tired of the Varner's, Frerick's, and Drejaj's. Get a local coach in here so he can recruit the area and get a team will get up and down the court and run. This team played with zero heart and the only guys who should be back for next season are Polk, Liddell, Lisch, Voyoukas, Brown, and Ikeakor.

>I dont want to hear anymore about how Soderberg coaches

>defense and heart and desire. I'm tired of the Varner's,

>Frerick's, and Drejaj's. Get a local coach in here so he

>can recruit the area and get a team will get up and down the

>court and run. This team played with zero heart and the

>only guys who should be back for next season are Polk,

>Liddell, Lisch, Voyoukas, Brown, and Ikeakor.

What big time local coach do you have in mind?

VTime, we already hired one Vashon coach for Saint Louis. He had no heart, no organization, and no coaching ability.

He lasted one year and was done.

Saint Louis will not hire a coach who has pulled his team off the floor during a game on multiple occasions, at a high school and professional level. Irons is fine where he is, but he is not big time.

Then we should go back and look at how many "Soderberg is GOD" posts we had after we beat Charlotte. After 4 years now we are one game under .500 with Brad. Not reason to fire him but not reason for praise either. Next year should and needs to be NCAA caliber. If not, Brad hasn't done his job.

Chuck...not sure where that came from. I responded to a ridiculous statement by VTIME (my first mistake), but don't begin to imply that Brad is all there is to SLU ball. Just prepared for the usual reactionary comments after a game like this.

These last three games are pretty troubling fare. We NEED some forwards. If the refs are going to swallow their whistles we will never compete at a high level in this league with Luke as a forward. No offense to luke but didn't he used to have an ugly but accurate jump shot. We are way too limited on offense when only three guys can shoot at all.......

I'm going to go into hibernation for the soccer season. Wake me up if we get into the NIT.....

PS I'll say Dump Brad if we are not an NCAA team next year. This year gets Brad nothing. No Kudos. No animosity either.

Do you believe there is any merit to the "usual reactionary comments"?

I try to be fairly consistent in my critique of brad, it doesn't seem that he is a very good bench coach. He seems unable to adapt as the game is unfolding. And i agree with many of the other posters, he has yet to prove to be a very savvy offensive coach.

Our game plan this season seemed to rely heavily on our players' abilities to hit the outside shot. This wasn't a very prolific jump-shooting team, why not change it up?

why not try periods of full court, 3/4 or half court pressure? why not try the twin towers more? Why rely on your weakest attribute?

Please note, these comments are derived from what has been posted on this board most of the year. I admit that i have only watched a half of Billiken bball on tv because the bills aren't on in denver much.

Well you can not say Brad gets nothing for this year - he almost doubled his win totals and may get us into the NIT - big steps forward from last year. The problem is he has to get his players to be more consistent game in and game out. If we go into next year with Luke playing PF then we are no better than we are today - I know TL and KL will be a year older but really, we can not continue to play 3 against 5 and expect to win.

>Should we start keeping count now on how many ridiculous

>DUMP SODERBERG comments we hear today and tomorrow? Grow up

>kids.

What is so ridiculous about saying that? I'm not quite sure. He has been the definition of mediocre, right around .500. If you wanna stay with that, fine. I'd like to see some NCAA tournament berths. If we have to go to the NIT, I want to see deep runs into the NIT. Not so ridiculous for people to say they want more. Plenty of coaches have done much better jobs in less time. Brad will obviously be back for next year, but after that...who knows?

You don't think it is ridiculous to say that NOW??? The guy has had three winning seasons out of four, and one bad one where the two top seniors basically became non-factors.

I think it is fair for me to say that perspective is lost in the minutes following a sour game like this. Overall, don't you see the program moving in the direction it should be going? We all, properly, have higher expectations for next year. But how would SLU benefit by dumping Soderberg today? And what has he done to deserve that? It makes ZERO sense.

It is amazing to me to hear so many jump off the bandwagon so quick. You have to look at the entire body of work and not just one or a three-game stretch. This team played better than about everyone expected this season and return a great core of very talented players for next season. We should be excited about the future - not trying to run the coach out of town after a bad stretch of games.

Much like the telecast - I think the Billikens got tired here at the end of the season. Remember, a lot of freshmen played huge minutes all season long. I'm not trying to make excuses for the team, but college basketball is an adjustment. A good offseason of work should make for a stronger finish to next season.

I think everyone needs to just chill out - you could be rooting for Mizzou.

>You don't think it is ridiculous to say that NOW??? The guy

>has had three winning seasons out of four, and one bad one

>where the two top seniors basically became non-factors.

>

>I think it is fair for me to say that perspective is lost in

>the minutes following a sour game like this. Overall, don't

>you see the program moving in the direction it should be

>going? We all, properly, have higher expectations for next

>year. But how would SLU benefit by dumping Soderberg today?

> And what has he done to deserve that? It makes ZERO sense.

But what have those winning seasons led to? 2 NIT berths, maybe a 3rd. The first 2 NIT berths resulted in being embarassed by Minnesota, and a 1-1 run.

I give him a pass on last year. Who knows how they would have been with Tommie on the team last year along with Polk, Frericks healthy, and Reggie being a decent player.

The problem isn't losing perspective for this game. It's the body of the season. The team has been mediocre (wlwlw), good, great, and now bad. I would give him about a B- or C+ on the season. Twice we were beat by St Joes, by almost the exact score, by almost the exact gameplan. I think the reaction wouldn't be as harsh if we had lost this game 80-60. The fact we only scored as much as an average high school team is going to bring a lot of negativity out. I just wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to bring in an "offensive coordinator" to run the offense. Minnesota did something similar a few years ago, bringing in Jim Molinari (a Soderberg type), to run the defense.

Agree with your thoughts on the team wearing down. Ian played a ton of minutes getting banged around all game, every game. TL and KL had to log a ton of time. TL seemed to hold up better (year of prep school probably helped) but KL seemed less effective in these three losses. Luke, who seemed to be the key to the team's hot streak, seemed less of a factor down the closing stretch as well. If Brad had his druthers, I'm sure he would have spread it around more, but he wasn't getting consistent quality minutes from JJ, VN, DP, DB. So he had little choice. Not an excuse for today's performance (or last Saturday's), but it is probably a factor.

The finish to the season was worrysome to say the least. It was if the team regressed back to the begining of the season. That being said, I think Brad has earned the opportunity to gain the benefit of the doubt heading into the off-season and next year. I want to believe that KL and TL can show the type of improvement that IV showed this year and that all this inconsistency was a result of the team learning the system and what it takes to compete in D-1. We need a commitment from the boys to hit the weights, hit the gym and hit the film and a we need Brad and his staff to do their job and supplement the current roster with players that will increase our talent level. I am not happy, but I am looking forward to a 20 win season next year. If that doens't happen, then Brad's job security needs to be addressed.

>Should we start keeping count now on how many ridiculous

>DUMP SODERBERG comments we hear today and tomorrow? Grow up

>kids.

He's been here 4 years and got 1 post-dispatch player of the year and 4 of a possible 20 all-metro 1st team players. He's passed on local talents we knew were worthy like he'd been in Saint Louis for 10 years. He's refused to run, when he has the speed to do so for spurts. After upgrading the athleticism in 2005, he hasnt added any in 2006. He's gotten outrecruited by mid-majors like SIUC and Missouri State, and even SEMO. He's taken a team from a high major conference to a mid-major conference and is still barely over .500. He's no better off than when he started. This season IS a step in the right direction, but he hasnt built on it by bringing in a recruiting class anywhere close to last year's. Lisch and Liddell in the same year are rarities, but we should be able to get contributors every year, and it's march and we haven't done that. Reggie Bryant, a 6th man at Villanova, came in and took over our team. He did not keep the area talent home this year. Kyle Kirk, Bobby Hill, and Mo Smith all got away. Local kids are choosing mid-majors over SLU and that's sad.

recruit Ricky Frazier to come to SLU. That appeared to be a good start to me. Now I heard he came across poorly with boosters and maybe there were some academic issues involved, but you can NEVER judge a coach on one year.

What was the deal with that anyway? Why was he fired so quick?

Was anyone else screaming for Brad to take a TO about a minute and a half into the game? I mean you could feel the game already getting away from us. Brad really mismanaged the game from the sideline early. With a young team, poor officiating and a experienced opponent, I think he needed to calm the troops down early.

we played like the nice guys you'd like to have your sister date;

Drejag did almost swing back once late in the game; without strength training and some commando tactics teams in this league have gotten used to hacking, grabbing, and mauling us an we run back to take up our positions. Blake Ahearne would have helped we need a driving shooter with no conscience. I have liked what I have seen a few times in JJ but today he floated and played like he was afraid to take a shot or break to the basket and he looked slow going after loose balls; not the coach when everyone misses and hurries their shots. I figured they'd win 15 games at most this season and all my friends said, no way. The last two games we did not look good and certainly couldn't catch a break, Even Duke and the fighting Illini lost by quite a bit in certain games. Next year with some improved shooting and rebounding I'd say 18-20 wins is a real goal

Frazier came to SLU as apackage with his coach Mitch Haskins and another player. The other guy was a guard who didn't play much and left.

Ask Randy Albrecht about Coleman as an assistant. The knife Coleman put in his back may still be there.

>HOW MANY TIMES DOES IT HAVE TO BE SAID - SLU OFFERED BOBBY

>AND HE WENT TO ILL ST--SPECULATION IS TO GET IMMEDIATE

>PLAYING TIME AS HE AND HIS FATHER MUST HAVE THOUGHT HE COULD

>NOT GET MINUTES WITH TL AND KL ALREADY AT SLU

In Romar's last year he signed 6'11 Ryan Hollins and 6'8 Nick Kern. Soderberg got JJ to the point where he actually registered a double-double and then yanked him out of the starting lineup for matchup reasons. This guy makes adjustments when there are none to be made and then in a game like today makes no adjustments. He gave up today on the team, the fans, and the season. Biggest game of the year and he folded.