Player predictions

slufanskip

Just for conversation ... I'd like to hear everyones predictions for players and there stats

I'll start

TF ... 9 pts, 7 reb.

CS ... 10 pts, 5 reb.

IO ... 12 pts, 4 reb.

RB ... 14 pts, 2 reb, 2 asst.

JF ... 7 pts, 3 reb, 4 asst.

AD ... 8 pts, 3 reb, 4 asst.

IV ... 5 pts, 3 reb.

DC ... 4 pts, 2 reb, 2 asst.

JJ ... 3 pts, 2 reb.

Tot ... 72 pts, 31 reb, 12 asst.

That is not easy to do ... when I first put down the starters I had about 60 pts. for them alone ... had to rethink that.

>Word on the street is that Ross Varner will get more PT than

>JJ. Otherwise, your numbers are all reasonable.

Yikes! That's scary and disappointing if true. I had fairly modest expectations for JJ. At least hoped he'd be better than Varner. It'd be nice to have somebody with a little leaping ability who can play on the frontline.

The point projections seemed pretty realistic, although I don't see Frerichs getting 9 points per game. I think he only got 10-11 in juco. Fisher and Drejaj could be a little higher. Good job with the projections overall.

Ross playing over JJ isn't scary if you understand how Brad intends to divide the minutes this season.

Brad would like to go with an eight man rotation. We can assume that Izik, Tom, Sloan, Fisher, and Bryant will start. Clarke and Drejaj make seven, and, when eligible, Ian makes eight. Essentially, JJ and Ross are fighting over some decent minutes during the first ten games and very few minutes the remainder of the season.

Fisher...8 ppg, 5 apg, 3 rpg

Bryant...13 ppg, 2 apg

Izik...16 ppg, 5 rpg, 3 apg

Sloan...11 ppg, 4 rbg,

Frericks...6 ppg, 5 ppg

Drejaj...9 ppg, 4 apg

Clarke...5 ppg

Varner...2 ppg

Vouyoukas...7 ppg, 3 rbg, 2 apg

JJ...4 ppg

>Ross playing over JJ isn't scary if you understand how Brad

>intends to divide the minutes this season.

>

>Brad would like to go with an eight man rotation. We can

>assume that Izik, Tom, Sloan, Fisher, and Bryant will start.

> Clarke and Drejaj make seven, and, when eligible, Ian makes

>eight. Essentially, JJ and Ross are fighting over some

>decent minutes during the first ten games and very few

>minutes the remainder of the season.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray ... or some guy steps up and shows the coaches that their notions going into the season were offbase--either positively or negatively. With so many new faces, the game minutes are certainly not set in stone at this point.

Torch ... thats 81 pts a game ... that is what I did at first. Then had to reconsider.

Amazing ... I could have gorgotten about Ross. I know I may be of the minority here ... but I hope he gets very few minutes ... to me his play is lackluster. He could use CS intensity.

If you are in the minority, then I am as well as I would be okay if Varner got very little playing time. The scoring looks very balanced the way you all have it, but I don't see it happening that way. I hope that is the case though. I don't know what I would say though. The only other thing I would add is that I think Fisher will be in the double figures like 10 or 11 ppg. I don't know why I feel that way, but I do. I think without Marque, he will want to put up some points night in and night out.

why dont we give ross a chance before closing the book on his season before it even starts. plenty of players have risen to the task to be contributors their senior season. what ross lacks in athleticism he might be able to offset with grit and smarts. i say let's get off his case until we see what shakes out.

Good Point Roy but I am rather surprised that you would mention that...A few short months ago you kept posting about the 3 "big stiffs" that we have coming in this year without ever seeing them play.

I agree completely, we should give Varner and EVERYBODY else a chance before we write ANYBODY off.

Fish 9 ppg

Bryant 14 ppg

Ohanon 11 ppg

Sloan 9 ppg

Frericks 7 ppg

Drejaj 8 ppg

Clarke 4 ppg

Vouyoukas 4 ppg

JJ 2 ppg

Varner 2 ppg

Total 70 ppg

I think Varner and JJ will fight it out for most of the season for that 9th spot in the rotation. JJ is athletic but he can't really get his own shot. He'll be more effective in the coming years once he learns to either a) take his man off the dribble or B) score with his back to basket. This year he'll probably be limited to putbacks and finishing after the guards penetrate and draw his defender.

my comments were wrong to make. my comments were in response to people posting comments about how good all three would be immediately and how all three were upgrades to kenny brown. i questioned that thinking and always based my thoughts on what had been written about the three, and constantly have said we shouldnt make assumptions one way or the other about immediate contributions until december. that is what i am still saying.

since bryce is all but sure to be redshirted, and coach has already told us that ian is still 18 and dealing with growing into his potential, it appears my comments were probably closer to being truths than sour grapes about our young inside players. still it amazes me that people remember things out of context in the wrong light. again, my comments were responses to what seemed to me to be overzealous expectations about immediate contributions the three will make.

i want nothing better than all three of our incoming bigs to be big time contributors. and brad has sold me that ian will be a player down the road, but i am expecting little this year from all three outside of huge efforts. one thing we know about brad soderberg players now, they play 100%. that is all we can ask. it has been proven by past performances, that many times effort can go a long long way. what doesnt work is half hearted play with marginal talent.

"my comments were wrong to make. my comments were in response to people posting comments about how good all three would be immediately and how all three were upgrades to kenny brown."

Roy, maybe my memory is faulty but I don't remember any of the regulars saying that Husak would be good immediately or that he would be an upgrade to Kenny Brown. The board consensus has been "project" ever since he verballed -- an intriguing project but a project nonetheless.

Roy ... I'm not really on Ross's case ... I'm just basing my opinions on what I have seen from him in the past. That is simply enough ... I think he plays without passion and intensity. When I said I would be in the minority ... I meant it in regards to his intensity.

I guess when Romar was first talking about Ross ... he made it sound like we had this physical, hard working, blue collar player... kind of like what I hear Matt Shaw is ... I just don't see it.

The reason I would like him to play few minutes ... is I would like for JJ to be that much better than him.

i think ross regressed in his two years at slu so far. a lot of that might be unreasonable expectations that coach romar saddled him with. i too was expecting the next jeff harris. we havent seen that. but ross might be a good example of a player who's level of confidence has been diminished and it has affected his play.

great point about loss of confidence...I might agree with that

as far as getting off Ross' case - forget it. I honestly wouldn't say I am on his case anyway. I don't want to see him get any minutes - period. That is my opinion. I am entitled to that. To me, he represents so many past Billiken players that I would like to forget about as they caused much frustration to me as a fan. I think it's great to be optimistic - I really do. But, it's not like the Billikens are in the NCAA tournament year after year. We've had to deal with a lot of sub par years, sub par coaches, and sub par players. Ross is a senior now. It's not like he's an incoming freshman. Has he not had his chance to prove himself? I think he's a good kid and I like his intensity. But, I'd still rather not see him get minutes. It's nothing personal against Ross.

I think this program is headed in the right direction and I'm sure there will be bumps in the road in the future. I will be a fan if they win 4 games or 24 games, but I will always be hard on players I don't think will ever contribute much to this team. Now, if I am wrong and Ross does get the minutes and plays well, then I will apologize and admit I was wrong about him.

Good point Roy ... Maybe we will see a different Ross under Brad. Maybe Romar saddled him with such praise that when he didn't live up to it ... he lost confidence in himself.

With that said JJ is part of our future ... Ross our past. I am hoping JJ is good enough to keep Ross on the bench.

I know Ross is a good young man ... and different to a lot of guys I think when we have a solid 12 deep roster, there is always room for someone like Ross as long as he works hard on the court. He is a guy who will always represent your program well. He just needs to be the 11th -12th guy not the 7-9th guy.

i understand your logic. just remember that sometimes it is better for the team to play the less talented player that does everything right and puts out the effort than the more "gifted" athlete that plays half hearted and disregards the team and/or the game plan.

We are dealing with the 2003-04 season. Coach Soderberg will have (what he thinks is) his most productive practice and game players on the court. If that is RV, the senior, or JJ, the redshirt freshman, so be it. The player that produces and adds value to the other four players on the court will get the minutes. Imo, RV is not the player that the coaching staff is worried about "working hard on the court"! Time will tell, it should be interesting to watch!