anyone listen to bernie today?

billiken_roy

i had a meeting this morning so i missed most of his show, however right at 8 am before i was going into my meeting, bernie made a comment about how upset slu and the slu fans were with the comments that tuna made last week and that he was going to challenge tuna about them in their round table discussion today. did he? and if so, what did tuna say?

second, he mentioned that tommy liddell sr has requested he get time on the show. did that happen today or did bernie say anything later to say when it would happen?

Thanks!

I was listening this morning as well and they talked about SLU at length later on in their round-table format. He did again mention Tommie's dad wanted to come on the show next week but did not say when. I am assuming he wants to come on and say that Tommie isn't going anywhere.

Tuna, being his usual self, now says there are rumors Dwayne Polk might transfer. He says he isn't used properly in Soderberg's system, and would have been a better fit at SEMO.

I don't see Dwayne going anywhere. He is a great team guy and knows that with AD leaving he will once again be in the mix for a starting spot. Tuna just says these things to create a stir. He realizes that if he isn't controversial, he isn't much.

I don't really have anymore to add but I am sure DP is unhappy with his reduced playing time but Brad gave him every chance to be successful. All DP has to do is improve his shooting and he can be back to bigger minutes. He seems to be making strides the last couple of games in that way. You are correct with AD graduating, DP will have a chance to pick up more minutes but he has to be a more accurate shooter. LM could get some of those minutes from AD but I am not sure about his ball handling skills. I also agree that DP is not transfering - he wanted to stay in St. Louis for his family and wanted to go to a good school. DP knows his life after BB is all about getting a good job. I am not saying he can not do that at SEMO necessarily but the reasons he came to SLU are still valid.

so basically he didnt recant his liddell statements or apologize for lying even though tommie liddell sr is apparently going to come on and tell the world that tuna is nuts. then he proceeds to make up another story saying a kid that is one of the best students on the team and committed to slu supposedly because of academics first is going to transfer to semo now. that makes a lot of sense. semo has long been considered a higher academic institution.

>so basically he didnt recant his liddell statements or

>apologize for lying even though tommie liddell sr is

>apparently going to come on and tell the world that tuna is

>nuts. then he proceeds to make up another story saying a

>kid that is one of the best students on the team and

>committed to slu supposedly because of academics first is

>going to transfer to semo now. that makes a lot of sense.

>semo has long been considered a higher academic institution.

Good points Roy, especially on SEMO. I don't think their graduates are qualified to be insurance salemen.

Look at the results when you ask for them in a positive way.

BM doesn't need me to stick up for him. But if you are persistent and do it in professional way, BM will listen to people and make changes. He is stubborn, but not too stubborn that his show won't be changed. People were relentless about Andy Stricklnad...at first BM will defend his choice and guy...but in the end it is reflection on him and his show. He changed that situation. Tuna is a once week thing...supposed to be light-hearted etc...I am sure BM didn't think Tuna would even be on enough to piss off that many people. He thought wrong. Hold him accounatable. He isn't going to undress Tuna on the air, ...it isn't going to happen...but he could at least challenge sources and accuracy of info. And on this end, e-mail, press box posts etc...

I don't know of too many other in town radio people who would even listen to what people suggested. ...or at least make themselves available for comments etc..

I would be relentless, hold him accoutable, but doing it in a class way will get you further.

He knows the Tuna problem. Be specific, instead of generalizing, bashing etc...and a change will be made. ...even if it is stubborn and reluctant.

there is nothing wrong with semo. my niece is a grad there and now has a wonderful career with monsanto. one of my best friend's daughter went there and has done very well in the business world as well. my comments were not to slam semo as to point out that semo is not slu. and i think most semo grads will agree with that. that isnt bad, it is just a fact that slu is better reputedly than semo academically.

Roy, It is certainly fair to slam SEMO based on their basketball program and its visibility. For DP's future, going to SEMO would effectively eliminate DP from the mind of basketball fans in STL. We complain about our lack of coverage...how many SEMO stories have you seen about the Indians?

If DP wants to play against top flight competition, it isn't going to be at SEMO.

Courtside - I agree with your comments. BM has said more than once since Tuna put out that ridiculous rumor about TL that TL is not going anywhere and that he and his family are satisfied with him being at SLU. He talked on his show about it and wrote about it. When Tuna brought it up again, BM clearly said I disagree and gave the reasons why. I have no complaints about BM regarding this issue. If he still wants to have Tuna on then that is his problem/decision. If he has to spend a lot of time debunking false rumors that Tuna spreads on the show then he will eventually tire of it and Tuna will either change or be gone. The one thing they did bring up which I think is fair is that Brad - a few weeks ago - should not have grabbed TL off the court. They also said that if Brad had to do it over again he would not have done it. Anybody can make a mistake and hopefully Brad learned that you do not treat another human being like that. I understand his anger but you have to be in control.

>there is nothing wrong with semo. my niece is a grad there

>and now has a wonderful career with monsanto. one of my

>best friend's daughter went there and has done very well in

>the business world as well. my comments were not to slam

>semo as to point out that semo is not slu. and i think most

>semo grads will agree with that. that isnt bad, it is just

>a fact that slu is better reputedly than semo academically.

Ah, the classic Mueller spin. Nice try. You took a shot at SEMO and now you're trying to back track. Grow some.

He can drive and dish better than any Billiken in a long while, doesn't have a great outside shot, and rarely turns the ball over.

We don't need Dwayne to be the PG. We need to him to do what he has been doing, coming in and creating havoc. I think he does belong at this level and brings quite a bit to the table.

>I sincerely doubt you are a SLU grad, but if you are, it's

>proof that the institution doesn't make the man.......

Frenchie,

I'm sorry my Jesuit education does not impress you. That's fine by me. I've made a point to be accepting of people from other institutions unlike Roy. I do hope to some day be enough of a success where I can afford to move to Fenton.

Skip - I saw that TL said that but truthfully, it showed that he was mature and smart enough not to get baited in to saying something against his coach - now the coach simply has to realize that he is the adult and needs to set the example. Who knows maybe after the game, Brad sat down with TL and apologized and they had a nice talk about how both were wrong. That would have been the best scenerio.

Before closing the book on Dwayne, people should go check out stats from previous players who struggled as freshman and sophomores and then made significant progress in their junior and senior years. Chris Sloan and Josh Fisher are two that immediately come to mind. If I recall, Sloan averaged around 2 pts per game his freshman year and people, myself included, wrote him off. After his sophomore year, he developed into a pretty solid player and by his senior year was averaging around 10 a game. Erwin Clagget and Scott Highmark hardly played their freshman year and as sophomores, still had a losing record.

I still hold hope for Dwayne and there are other reasons besides playing time as to why players stay or leave. Dwayne has had and will continue to have the opportunity to play. It makes very little sense for him in both basketball and academics terms to transfer to SEMO, no matter what Charlie Tuna says.

claggett and highmark actually were fifth and third in minutes played and 2nd and 3rd in ppg as freshman for the billikens.

The same goes for Husak. Don't write him off yet either. Ian didn't set the world on fire his sophmore year, but was merely a decent backup for Frericks until he was forced into a starters role and began to develop. The few minutes we've seen out of Husak show me that he may just be pretty good in a year or two.

okay, well then they played a lot of minutes for a 5 win team. Point is, rarely do underclassmen do a lot. Kevin and Tommie are rare exceptions.

Hell, I'll throw in Ian this year. His improvement from last year is a perfect example of how players make strides during their college careers. I just hope DP makes his own. That's up to him, not Brad or anybody else.