Liddell and Arena

cheeseman

only bernie can accomplish that by freezing tuna out and it is obvious bernie wont do that simply based on the fact he still has him on the air.

Brad should completely ignore comments like that. By acknowledging that a rumor like that exists would simply add fuel to the fire. Brad, or any other coach, wouldn't have time to coach if they had to keep addressing all the rumors that float around out there.

is who should address it. it is his show and eventually it reflects on him. i know i immediately turn his show off when tuna comes on whereas otherwise i have it on from about 7 am until 10 am.

the fact bernie did not include that part of the discussion ow on his post on his message board only proves he knows it is a lie. yet he continues to give him a sounding board. that is wrong.

Multiple issues here:

In no order:

1) If Tuna bothers you, Tuna will be tough to budge. People LOUDLY voiced their opinions on Strickland on BM's show...Strickland's role was reduced in a major way. Basically BM listened. But Stricklans is young, less experienced, Tuna is not. BM needs a big push to shove him out the door. BM is a friend of mine and I have met Tuna several times through him...has always been nice to me, but I don't think anyone understands his loyalty to Tuna. BM is a very very loyal person, and is more prone to the save a guy mentality when he can't be saved. He is aware of Tuna's lack of popularity....imo it is a combo of giving Tuna yet another chance, and also to try to stir up some hot buttons and topics. Tuna is much more capable in a private conversation than on radio. I would never listen to him on a radio program, as his on air credibility is none.

2) BS doesn't need to squash diddly poop. Who cares? I tried to explain it...you din't understand or disagree, that is fine.

3) TL....depends on the program and need....he would have gotten time at most places this year....how much depends on the team and need. He would have started some places,(top 50) and would have come off the bench in other places(top 25)....but would have gotten some time. I have seen comparable players be a role playing starter or regular bench contributor their frosh season. Obviously he has been asked to do more at SLU...but also on the flip side he doesn't have the tealent around him to make life easier for him either....obviously hypothetical estimates.

I would finish with, if Liddell say is a good kid, good team player, a top player on team....etc...gets along with staff and team, no issues...and left SLU say after this year, BS would be in serious trouble. This isn't going to happen because it is rare.

Now, I have seen players in that range of talent...who do not develop, and get bad advice that they should be the man on some solid teams.....and want to be more of a focal point, and clash with the coach and transfer.

It is "possible" for a kid to play somehwere have great success, and transfer up from a smaller program to better one. I would think SLU is good enough as a program, though not strong, to combat this. At SLU Liddell is "the man." He would NOT be the man at a lot of top programs. He would be a good solid contributor.

But I think the underlying topic has merit. Stlye of Play. This is something that has been brought up in past as one of big question marks for Soderberg, and how it would affect attendance and recruiting. Regardless of style of offense, if your team can't score in the upper 60's and 70's most nights, over a multiple year time period, it is an issue. Style of play has been an issue on offense for BS. It is a fair topic. If approached in an informed way, nothing wrong with hearing discussion questioning the offense under BS. Kids don't want to go to a place that scores in the 50's. And fans don't want to go see it either.

I would agree that ultimately Tuna's presence reflects on BM.

I have heard Frank Cusumano speculate and throw out rumors without any fact or merit. It happens. Obviously Cusumano deservedly commands more respect.

I didn't hear the show or comments...if he made comments, and others were present with him in studio on air...I suppose the response would be who did you speak with, can you confirm this....etc...orgee I didn't hear or know that, interesting. Was it said, I spoke iwth Liddell or I spoke with Liddell's folks...or John Doe at John Doe paper is reporting...

Probably not on all of the above, so most intelligent normal people don't care. Do you really think people listen and believe the things Slaten says on air? They listen for laughs, not hard hitting sports information.

You can always get your psorts info elsewhere.

>TL will never get the exposure he deserves unless SLU

>becomes a better than .500 team.

That's nonsense. If you are good enough, the NBA will find you and you will get all the recognition you need. Second of all, SLU is becoming better than a .500 team now and will be even better next year.

the three best players (arguably 7 out of the top 8 players coming back) all coming back is a pretty good platform for the next 3 years that tommie would be here.

Courtside - this is not about agreeing with you or not - it is about what is best for this program. I never said how Brad should douse the rumor. A smart coach would simply have a private conversation with TL and/or his family to double check - maybe even have one of his assistants follow up which would be less of an anty. Someone can leak a disclaimer - maybe the family, maybe TL, maybe a news media guy who is given the info Rammer for example. It does not matter how but in the long run not letting a rumor sit and smolder is best at least in my experience. This is not a rumor some guy heard from the janitor at West Pine Gym - it was on the airwaves which immediately raises the anty. Afterall, I was the one who said the fact that BM did not repeat the rumor gave it less crediability. As far as BM and Tuna's relationship goes - that is his business. All of us have friends who on the surface do not look like a fit with us but we still for whatever the reasons keep them as friends. I do agree that Brad will have to deal with this low scoring per game issue. Kids want to fly high and if he does not figure it out he will be the loser in the long run. Even Spoon understood this - his teams played great defense but still were able to score. Perhaps the situation is as simple as Roy has pointed out several times - we need a glass clearly PF to help IV so the guards can sprint down court.

A few points after reading through this thread:

Why do you think so highly of Slaten? He is no where close to 3rd rate!!

KS has called everyone a liar-B. Weber, Quin S., Brad S. and I would imagine in the last week, everyone connected with the MO athletic program. A co-worker listens to him sometimes (even though he can't stand him) and told me this week that Slaten has pushed Mike Anderson (sp?) of UAB for the MO job, since he "offered Troy a scholarship." Ya, I'll buy tickets to that-UAB offering a D1 scholarship to an average D2 player who has no skills except for being an average shooter. Ramsey must need the work real bad to be associated with this clown.

Turned the radio on at about 9:30-45 today and heard the end of a caller discussing TL going to the NBA, but I didn't hear what precipitated the comment. (I now assume The Felon made some comment along these lines also?) I think BM has The Felon on to build street cred, as he calls it. I like BM's show except when he tries to act like someone from the 'hood with his "dude"/"man" stuff-isn't it funny how he never writes that way! Anyway, I didn't know The Felon was on today until at least 10:15 and once Felon said something he was pretty much ignored the rest of the show. Might have been BM's way of distancing himself from The Felon's BS. You gotta give Channel 5 credit for eliminating Felon from its' Sunday night show.

While I agree with most posters regarding our offensive approach-much too slow and too many horizontal passes which results in too many turnovers- I will also point out that we should be able to run the same offense and score 10 more points/game if we could shoot. If we had those extra points we would all feel pretty good about our offense, much like we did a few years back when we ran the same style of "O", but had SH, EC and HW lighting it up from outside.

Cheeseman,

What I am saying is I disagree. We disagree that is all, no big deal. I do not believe it is remotely necessary to in any way shape or form answer random rumors. Coaches have better things to do if in fact they are even informed. Most coaches are oblivious to much more than you think. They worry about coaching tthe team and recruiting. MANY rumors float around all the time all over campuses everywhere, most unfounded. Should Missouri have come out and refuted the Bob Knight rumors of house buying in that areas while Snyder was the coach? A big fat NO.

If this was on everyone's 10pm newscast, all radio stations...constantly....then I would open discussion more with you on it. There would need to be HEAVY CONSTANT coverage.

....as for Slaten....or Tuna...if a show isn't getting ratings, it will disappear or change format. It is all about ratings.

I always find it humorous to hear people say they hate Slaten, but yet still listen. If you want something done about it, don't listen, and he will go away, just like that.

Good gravy, men! How much crap can you listen to and get all overwrought about? If you are listening to sports talk radio for solid information, we're all in trouble. The rumors and innuendo on this message board are just as credible as any statement made during an average day on 590 or 1380. And if you haven't figured it out it's just cloud talk, man. Most dudes are talking crap to hear their heads rattle and in Frank's case the only reason he's so sincere is because there is really very little matter to shake in that simple brain of his. So listen for enjoyment only and let it go in one ear and out the other. By the way, the Grind is the funniest show on the radio and they never talk about sports so you guys wouldn't get your grundies all in a bunch.

the morning grind is the biggest waste of time on radio. they dont talk about sports on a sports station and they are not funny. they remind me of three drunk guys sitting in a bar talking and you come in stone sober.