Adam Knollmeyer

Nate Latsch

>I saw that he verballed early to Mizzou. What is the reason

>why the relationship cooled. Is it as simple as Quin and

>the mess down there? I just did not know if there is a

>problem especially considering how pathetic Mizzou's bigs

>are ....

Heard that they tried to talk Knollmeyer into going to prep school as Quin wished to give his scholarship to another recruit.

I don't think there is any problem with Knollmeyer being qualified academically. I think what happened is with the loss of a scholarship or so that Missouri had, they were trying to get him to go to a prep school for a year to get someone else in. This sounds kind of like Lawrence, wasn't he originally going to get a scholarship, but when the probation happened he agreed to go as a walkon to help the school. Not sure if Lawrence was promised a scholarship down the line or not. Knollmeyer maybe saw this and realized he didn't want to be paying for school. He sounds like he would be a good get for us.

pretty Q thought he had a local boy that would do whatever he told him and Quinny felt the pressure to recruit "national" players to pump up his recruiting class in order to save his job. Knollmeyer basically told Q to take a hike.

Unfortunately for us, rumor has it Missouri State has been on him from the beginning and we were a little late to the party. Doesn't mean we can't get him but it is an uphill climb.

I'm sorry and I don't want to offend our MVC friends, but if you could choose between SWMSt which plays in Omaha, Cedar Rapids, Peoria, Wichita, Carbondale, Terre Haute and Normal or SLU which plays teams with national reputations in Philly, Mass.,Rhode Island, NYC, Charlotte, Richmond, D.C. and Pittsburgh, just to name a few; and, also schedules teams like UNC and Gonzaga; and, has a superior academic reputation you would select SWMSt, why?

Maybe it would be geography-how close to Spfd. is Linn?

Sorry to start a possible MVC vs. A10 debate because I like the MVC, but inspite of the distorted RPIs this year for some of the Valley teams they just don't have nat. rep teams like GW, Temple, St Joe, UMass, Charlotte, Xavier and Dayton. Even some of the other teams have either some rich basketball tradition (Lasalle, URI, Richmond, St Bon., and Duq.) or at least a national rep as a major university, (Fordham).

Other than immediate playing time, geography or family ties, we should never lose a kid we want to a Valley school.

but by the same token how can SLU expect to recruit kids good enough to go to the Big East, Big 10, Big 12 or ACC? Sometimes if you get in on them early enough and show the love you can beat out a team from a better conference. Hopefully this is not another Matt Shaw in his preference for small towns.

For the same reasons i gave as to why a kid might choose a Valley school over SLU--immediate playing time, geography and/or family ties.

Except for these reasons we are not generally going to get one of the local studs. However, I don't despair. As we get better each year (hopefully) we will be able to attract better and better players.

One thing that would really help is for just ONE player to break with my theory and sign with SLU as someone who can really make an impact on the Hometown Team--a player like Jo Jo White, Chris Carrawell, the big center who went to Georgetown, or Ellis from the East-side. A breakthrough recruit would do wonders for the program-I'm talking about a kid who could go to any college in the country. KL & TL are close to meeting that definition but not quite there, but I'll take all the KLs and TLs that want to come to SLU.

When SLU was in CUSA I think it was a much easier argument, now in the A10 not as much. When you could tell a kid they would play against teams like Cincinnati, Memphis, Louisville and Marquette, that would be a much better selling point than any A10 school.

If I was an MVC coach I guess I would point out that at SLU you would be playing in front of a 2/3 empty homecourt, traveling on the road and playing conference games in front of 2-3000 people and reading about in the sports section on page 10 the next day. In the MVC, your home court is usually 2/3 full and travel on the road playing in front of very large crowds. The writeups will usually be front page in the paper also. Also, the road games are close enough for your family to travel to as well.

As far as the rich tradition of the A10 teams like Duq, LaS, St Bonny, etc, well I would guess most of the kids were not born and maybe not even their parents were born when that nice tradition occured.

By the way I was not offended by what you said, but I just thought I should point out the A10 and the MVC are not that far apart. There are positives to the A10 just like their are positives to the MVC.

Lawrence probably was on academic scholarship if he redshirted. I believe though the NCAA doesn't allow kids to be on academic scholarships if they are playing a sport that provides full scholarships. Otherwise all of the schools would put their smart kids on academic scholarships and open up their athletic scholarships to the not so smart kids.

>pretty Q thought he had a local boy that would do whatever

>he told him and Quinny felt the pressure to recruit

>"national" players to pump up his recruiting class in order

>to save his job. Knollmeyer basically told Q to take a hike.

>

>Unfortunately for us, rumor has it Missouri State has been

>on him from the beginning and we were a little late to the

>party. Doesn't mean we can't get him but it is an uphill

>climb.

This is my take on the situation as well. Knollmeyer would be a great get for SLU this late in the 2006 recruiting cycle. But we really never recuited him prior to the Mizzou screw up. Is it another Shaw situation (i.e., too late to the party)? Hope not but was encouraged to hear Adam was at the Xavier game. Had to pump him up about SLU. A strong finish to our season could be the difference.

i dont recall shaw picking siu because of "the small town". painter convinced matt that he (painter) was the guy that was always there that always wanted him first and foremost while brad only came running after slu was rebuffed by grimes.

you have your theory that our recruitment of Grimes was the main reason. I have my theory that Matt came from a small town in Illinois and simpyl felt more comfortable going to a small town team in Southern Illinois. The truth is likely a blend of it all.