Arena

slu72

i agree with rich on this one. 3k seats isnt going to affect the program. in fact i contend that if we sell out 13k vs 10k that only helps the program more. those of you advocating less are truly thinking that the program doesnt have the potential to sell more consistently. i contend that if we did it before (93-2000) we can do it again.

as to the fear of getting screwed with reseating, the switch to the old arena was crazy. it got better coming to savvis, and i would hope it will be even better going to the biondi dome. surely the program grows smarter.

i contend the people that will get downgraded, are those that are not real boosters anyway. they either have seats that arent even in their names, they dont contribute to the billiken club, etc. these people are going to get pushed back and those of us that have faithfully supported the team for the last 10+ years have accumulated the needed "points" to take their seats.

there of course will be deep pocket guys that will buy their way to the front of the line, but i contend those will be few and far between and will be less than the fake half court fans that havent been contributing the last 10 years and are going to go the other way in the line.

What I am saying is that fundamentally the students are most important. I actually even have sympathy for the Blue Hairs too. People age, and shouldn't be discriminated against for that. The old people need seats where they can see etc...One day I will be old and you guys too.

I am not advocating giving seats away if they won't be used either. What I am advocating is making student attendance THE top priority of the school. And, if/when they do come and SLU looks less like a commuter school atmosphere at basketball games, ...that alums and or older season tix holders become part of the solution too...

Hearing talk about having to shift a little bit in location and seats seems way down on the list of priorities to me.

If students go to games and it means seat adjustment for some people, I would favor doing whatever it took to get students to games.

A whole other thread could be started (and has previously) about how to do it, and what it takes...to get the students.

SLU shouldn't have this wild disconnect from blue hairs to middle age alums to students....I left out young adults because I don't see any at SLU games. The stand offish nature of the different types of fans at SLU games. When I go to games in other places...there isn't this disconnect among age demographics...part is on the blue hairs too, the students, the middle aged alums etc...

I would hope that everyone on this board would have a goal or hope that at some point SLU would have a college like atmosphere at games. I actually think some or possibly many here don't really care as long as they get their seats, with a small minority of exceptions. This something I can't agree with.

was to your whining throughout this thread. You said EVERYBODY would be upset by the move which seems nearly impossible since, in general, the seats will be getting better, not worse. You aren't just against 10,000, you are against any move, right?

The difference between a 10,000 seat and a 13,000 seat arena is 3,000 upper deck seats. Why do you think you'll be better or worse off with 3,000 extra seats above you? I don't get it.

Why are you so afraid that your seats are going to get that much worse? Are you a member of the Billiken Club? If not, join at the starter level and guarantee yourself priority. Do you donate so little to the program that you know your current seats far outweigh your contributions?

All I know is my current seats can't get any better, yet I'd much rather move a few rows back or get stuck in a corner to see a big time winner than sit in the front row with 3,000 of my closest friends and 17,000 empty seats. I guess we just have different views of what we want from this program.

what does slu not do now to NOT make the student a priority? other than the athletic dept not financially helping the blue crew with billiken madness and a couple of games where there were bus problems, what else do you know of they havent done?

would hope that everyone on this board would have a goal or hope that at some point SLU would have a college like atmosphere at games. I actually think some or possibly many here don't really care as long as they get their seats, with a small minority of exceptions. This something I can't agree with.

I'm sorry but what the hell is a "college like atmosphere?" How does one achieve it? "College like" students?????? everyone is convinced that getting more students to the games will give us an edge, a bigger home court advantage, something. I've never seen any evidence of that but fine. If we go to a 10,000 seat arena, leave a thou or two for students, which current season ticket holders are you comfortable kicking out???? I'm sure we could raise ticket prices to the point it won't be a problem. Is that what we want???

>was to your whining throughout this thread. You said

>EVERYBODY would be upset by the move which seems nearly

>impossible since, in general, the seats will be getting

>better, not worse. You aren't just against 10,000, you are

>against any move, right?

Wrong

>

>The difference between a 10,000 seat and a 13,000 seat arena

>is 3,000 upper deck seats. Why do you think you'll be better

>or worse off with 3,000 extra seats above you? I don't get

>it.

I fear they will not be above me. Also looking at where my current seats translated into sitting at the family arena (admittedly NOT a basketball friendly building) is worrying

>Why are you so afraid that your seats are going to get that

>much worse? Are you a member of the Billiken Club? If not,

>join at the starter level and guarantee yourself priority.

>Do you donate so little to the program that you know your

>current seats far outweigh your contributions?

Yes

>All I know is my current seats can't get any better, yet I'd

>much rather move a few rows back or get stuck in a corner to

>see a big time winner than sit in the front row with 3,000

>of my closest friends and 17,000 empty seats. I guess we

>just have different views of what we want from this program.

Must be nice for you. My seats could be a whole lot better. They could also be much worse. I hope you can afford seats in the new building. Speaking as a family man with a wife who is working at raising a kid rather than a higher paying career, I worry about such things.

We can have both a winner and a 13-15000 seat arena. It seems counter productive to go smaller than you have to.

Current average A-10 attendence figures.

1) Dayton 12250

2) Xavier 9801

3) SLU 9011

4) Charlotte 6936

5) St. Joe’s 5295

6) Temple 4902

7) UMASS 4887

8) Rhode Island 4701

9) Richmond 4513

10) St. Bon. 4503

11) GW 3379

12) LaSalle 2598

13) Fordham 2354

14) Duquesne 1584

Everyone here knows my feelings on this issue. I'm an AIM HIGH kind of guy. If we can have 12,000+ season ticket holders at one time, we can do it again.

Everyone is reacting to a Brad Soderberg comment of "about 10,000" seats, and I think we're overreacting. Remember the Billiken Club meeting a month back? What did Cheryl say, 13000 seats. Until I hear from one of the higher ups (such as Cheryl or a Provost) I assume that figure is still the accurate one. (Remember, Brad even mentioned last night that he didnt know the upcoming opponents following Dayton.)

Rich, we both know that at least 1-2k of our season ticket holders will be deceased by the time this thing gets built. :)

Seriously though, I agree with Courtside's sentiments. This arena is a major undertaking, and as such, we need to get it right the first time, building a facility that is comfy for the fat cats and blue hairs, and yet designed to create an atmosphere that is imposing for visiting teams. Doing so requires a delicate balance - we don't want to build a replica of St. Joe's raucous alumni fieldhouse, but we don't want a super-luxurious facility like American Airlines Center that will cause everyone to sit back in their cushy chairs and doze off.

Personally, I think that we're on the right track in creating such a facility, but 13,000 seats is simply too large as far as creating the right atmosphere goes. Unless we are making NCAA tournament appearances every year, look forward to hearing the Dayton fans making more noise than our own fans when we play the Flyers.

3379 average attendance at GW is truly pathetic. The other interesting aspect of the attendance figures is that the three westernmost schools cream all the easterners figures. I'm sure they would say that it's because we have nothing else to do. Billikens will win the A-10 in 06-07 and move into a 12,000 seat facility in November 2008. (That's if we can all step up and buy a brick)

i have an ncaa link for previous seasons, but i dont have anything for current. i'd like to have that for future use.

with everything in life change will ruffle some feathers. the building, larry please put a shovel in the ground, will benefit the program/university and that is the intended purpose.

also, not to piss people off, there is gonna be, if not annually, perodic donations required to sit in certain sections in the new building. the best seats are going to require financial obligations, that being most of the lower bowl.

>Courtside - this is why you need a 13,000 seat arena. Then

>the students will get their 2000 seats in a good location

>for them and all the current ticket holders will be

>accomodated with about 2000 or so seats for sale to the

>general public - this will make SLU a hot ticket.

good post. and keep the students on the baseline.