Whew, that was close

SLU_Nick

... at the four second mark on a defensive rebound? At that point you take the tie on the road and head to overtime. Was it a true foul or did we luck one out there, homerism or not? Then you walk 90 feet and have Ian sink both free throws. I'll say a close one.....

I made some notes during the game. What an improbable game.

DB starts and does VERY well thank you. 4/9 3 pters. But missed his only FT that would have given us the lead at the time.

JJ jumped center. And we win the tap. Would have thought IV would have done that. Hadn't noted that before.

at 15:53 IV runs off the court to the dressing room with the doctor, the trainer stays on the bench. He returns with 11:59 left. BH in that time makes three rebounds, misses two easy inside shots and has 1 TO. I maintain if he had more PT in the non conference portion of the schedule he would have done better, but that's for another time.

JJ has two costly turnovers where the ball goes off his hands in the last 2 minutes of the first half. That being said, JJ did very well tonite, stated by one who stated here that he would not ever produce for us. I stand before you happy to eat crow.

TL and KL have NO pts in the first half, TL doesn't score til 12:54 left in the second half.

The Bonnies are in the bonus at 8:09 of the second half, but do very poorly from the line.

I thought this clearly was a game we would have lost last year. Exciting.

Why did they ever go out of their zone defense?

If we aren't making our shots, need to get some dribble penetration, or set some screens for the better shooters.

Can TL dribble through traffic?

Why didn't we get the ball to IV more during our lull in the second half?

mhg

taj, my view from eight rows up center court....ball side.

with 3-4 seconds left in the game, one the bonnies take about a 10 foot jumper right near the baseline....the ball skims off the rim ..... However, Wms. fouls IV who is attempting to rebound. A foul is call on Williams with about 2.6 seconds left.

We have both seen many a game where that obvious foul by Wms. goes uncalled as the refs have swallowed their whistles in the last five seconds of a game. I'm not sure that same obvious foul is called against North Carolina last month.

DB comes up with this huge game after doing nothing for the last 5 basically. I don't understand him, can't make a shot against Iowa then all of a sudden is Chris Mullen. I still think that one Mr. Luke Meyer should see more playing time. He is the best shooter and if you let him shoot the ball 9 or 10 times like Danny did then he would be the one with 16 points. Polk didnt do much this game as usual.

Actually, I am not sure the ref realized that he called that fould so close to the end of the game. Once he made the call he kind of hesitated and then finished the call. He kind of had an odd look on his face from where I was sitting - behind the scorer table up about 12 rows.

JJ has jumped center the last 5 or 6 games. We have several players who can penetrate but you can not penetrate if the lane is clogged with players from the zone defense. This is another reason why it so key to be able to hit some outside shots - even the ones by JJ and the one by DP helped to get them out of the zone.

I'll defer to those present at the game, but from Rammer and Earl's broadcast it was STB's zone D that made this game close. That D being the result of our guards not hitting from the outside after DB cooled down. It sounded like KL and TL had some good looks but they weren't dropping. If AD had played and was on, this game would not have been a white knuckler. This coming from a guy that didn't think AD would be much this year. But the caveat being if he was hitting. We are going to see a lot more of this as teams will force us to bring them out to defend the perimiter. IV can't do much with 2 and 3 guys going to the inside pass every time. I like the new lineup although I think I'd put KL at the point as it takes away TL's rebounding prowress. This game had to be won for confidence purposes. It's good seeing JJ progress, although those two TO's in the first half have to go. Right now I think our guard spots with the exception of TL are wide open for anyone who can show he can shoot 45% from 15 feet out.

billikenbooster said, "Why didn't we get the ball to IV more during our lull in the second half?"

it wasnt because we werent trying. it is extremely painful to watch the billikens trying to force it inside every possession when it isnt there. we have to have the others step up some to create that opportunity.