SLU Wins ...First non-conference road win since...

SluSignGuy

sounded like the bench was the key to this win with DB's and VN's strong play off the bench. Tommie also had a nice game. we've gotta shoot better from the line though.

ramsey made it sound like we were getting screwed by the refs.

Liddell was pretty close to double double numbers from what I could tell. I heard 7 pts 6 rebounds and 4 assists early into the second half. What did he finish with?

I like our broadcast team. However, I CAN'T STAND IT when Ramsey does his little, "mmm mmm mm" when the Billikens start to do poorly. I hate it.

Any win on the road is satisfying and wow, it's been that long since we beat a non-conference foe on the road. Heck let's just make it two in a row when we travel to Ole Miss. I wish I did not have a business trip this week because a roadie to Ole Miss would be very doable.

because we would have collapsed at the end and lost at the buzzer.

With Tommie and Ian taking the place of Reggie and Tom our team has improved in the key areas of athletic ability, playing smart, not forcing shots, etc. Big kudos to Ian who was being double and triple teamed and he only took 3 shots and made them all. If we could shoot open shots when he passes the ball out he would have 10 assists.

Those two players are the keys to this team. Dwayne has proved his mettle in defending another big scoring point guard and forcing him to take very tough shots.

the rest of the guys are stepping up when needed. VN was big tonight and he took the ball to thte basket with authority. He must have been embarrassed by that weak miss from point blank range a few games ago. I am very happy that we have an alternative to JJ so he can get the idea that he is there to hustle, rebound and defend-- not shoot outside shots and try to force passes that are picked off.

this was a very big win for the mental psyche of this young team. On the road, with the other team coming back, with horrible refs calling everything against us, we hung in there and got a tough win. Nice job Billikens!

Billikan, I would amend your statement to read a healthy Tommie and Ian replacing an injured Reggie and Tom. I still think a healthy pair of seniors would have garnered vastly different results for the team last season. Even then, I'm very glad we are reaping the benefits of Ian having logged substantial minutes last year.

We were 1 point away from having 5 players in double figures, 2 of these were off the bench.

The #5's had 11 pts and 9 reb, while the #4's had 14 pts and 11 reb.

These are both great things

Getting scoring from IV is great, but we have to show teams that it is not necessary for us to win.

Excellent win

one of SLU's strengths this year is the ability of other players other than Ian or Tommie to step up and score. when drejaj has a tough night, Kevin steps up. When they both have rough nights, Danny or VN come off the bench and put up solid numbers. It's definately a strength. We always said, you can never have too many good guards.

Actually coach sat Ian and went to BH a couple of minutes after Ian's 1st foul. Ian went back in and got his second foul and sat the rest of the 1st half playing only 7 or 8 minutes in the half. Bryce picked up all 10 of his minutes in the first half as Ian played all of the second half except for the final minute and never did pick up his 3rd foul. I believe we were either 4/4 or 5/6 free throws at the half with most of the misses coming in the second half.

not hearing much of the game but these items stood out to me...

-we shoot 9 3's and win the game, right now we have 1 player (AD) making 3's consistnetly and the others are not just throwing up 3's, to me that is buying in to your coach's approach (probably better than bowling or achieiving togetherness)

-we shoot more ft's than the home team, I wonder the last time that happened?? and according to other posts we missed some front ends so could have been more, the make % needs some work, but for the season I think ft's have been good

-we out rebound Oak 38-31, that is very good, still allowed 10 off rebs

-we had 14 assists with 15 to's, not as good as I would like but much improvement from l/yr

-to sum it up...who cares how the #'s read as we win on the road!!!! that is great boys, keep it up, we'll be wathcing Tues!!!!

I agree. I don't think we win this game last year. That is two solid road games in a row. If we keep this effort up, good things will happen to this team. It's pretty clear that Ian and Tommie are the go to guys. If we can get one or two of the other guys to step up each night this team can do some special things. I didnt have this one down as a win. Ole Miss looks like a should win now. It's a lot more fun winning the close ones than losing them which is all we did last year.

Don't get so cocky about Ole Miss - I also feel better about a possible win down there but they will be very upset about their lose last night. As Brad said, road wins are very hard to come by - this is the first road win since 2003 at Dayton for us so they have been rarer than hen's teeth. Like I said - their performance tonight and at UNC is very encouraging but I am not ready to place the Miss. game in the win column yet. Earlier I said they had to win 2 of these 5 games - JSU, UWGB, UNC, Oakland, and Miss - 3 would be GREAT!. Now they are in a position to do just that but it won't be easy. If they can win at Miss that will give them a 5-3 record with home games against Kennisaw State, Iowa, Chicago State and Gonzaga. The worst they do is go 2-2 and 3-1 is possible (not easy but at least doable)in this stretch. That would send us in to conf. play at 7-5 or 8-4. Most of us would have taken that in a heart beat this summer giving the tough games we had scheduled. If they loose at Miss. they end up 6-6 or 7-5 not as gaudy but once again not the end of the world given last year. Oakland,Miss, SIU and UWG were never considered easy games, Iowa, Hawai, Gonzaga, and UNC were considered very high hills to climb. Given our young team and lack of a pf - our preconf. record could have easily been 4-8. The point I am trying to make is that the team and Brad are doing a great job so far and a NIT or even a NCAA bid are not out of the question - but I don't want to count my chickens to before they hatch - sorry for both chicken references.