obi

Looked to me that he was visibly limping in the second half. Hope he isn't pushing things too fast for himself. Red shirting is really in his and the Bills' best interest, IMHO. The team overall is so much quicker than last. When Obi was in, I was thinking that he would have done well on last year's team, but not this year's bunch.

mhg

This much is true--Obi is a big guy and even if he drops another 10-15 I would hate to get blocked out by him. Not sure yet if we should red-shirt him. My brain says we need to b/c of the lack of progress he has made, but my heart says we need the depth and any minutes he may provide would be well recieved. Who knows, if I had to guess Im saying he is Red-shirted.

Obi will not provide needed depth this season. We are already two deep at the power forward position with players who will be ahead of Obi on the depth chart, and Brad may not even use his power forwards much this year. A redshirt is a no-brainer.

>Obi will not provide needed depth this season. We are

>already two deep at the power forward position with players

>who will be ahead of Obi on the depth chart, and Brad may

>not even use his power forwards much this year. A redshirt

>is a no-brainer.

Granted, a red-shirt is the best option. However I really must disagree with you on the point of depth. Truly we have no power forward to speak of. JJ will play there undersized and underskilled and VN will play half 3 and half 4. He really plays as a small forward who can be out on the wing. IMO unless VN steps up this year and plays a little bigger/meaner with more rebounds down low, then we essentially play four guards all the time. Just my two cents.

Goat - if Obi's physical rehab prevents him from being better than what we have - and from what I have seen that is not true yet - then red shirting is the best so he can heal and get back into shape. Brad said that he would talk to him after the exhibition season but that it is up to Obi to decide.

I agree that at this point he should red-shirt. What scares me though is if we get an injury. We cannot afford to lose IV and even an injury to BH, JJ or VN could force Brad to pull Obi from redshirting. This is one reason I hate having 2 open scholarships. I think saving one for a midseason transfer is a good idea, but I would rather we found someone to provide us with some more depth at the 4 and 5 spots than having 2 open scholarships.

it doesnt matter if obi does or doesnt redshirt if ian gets hurt. he is irreplaceable. if any of the other bigs get hurt, then it is just one less body that might play 5-10 minutes a nite. obi would be much better getting 100% healthy and fit and then becoming a force for 4 years rather than waste this season.

I agree ... lets say he doesn't ... he plays a few minutes per game if at all ... if someone gets hurt he might play more.

even if he does ... he still practices, he just loses the few minutes per game he would have been playing. He can still come out of his red shirt.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

i'm not a dr or a trainer, but i have been around sports my whole life. i just dont believe he is going to get to a point this year where he can play significant minutes ahead of others with his apparent recovery still in process. yet his past accomplishments and obvious body and size leads one to believe that this is a player i would want to invest an additional year on.