Brad on radio

bauman

he refused to say who the four guards would be. and said that he doesnt know if a four guard lineup will be the norm. but vs umsl it should work.

reaffirmed over and over in the interview the team is going to run as this is the first team to have the overall talent to successfully run on offense and still play hard on defense as well.

the rest was nothing new.

Brad said that he would not announce the starters until he spoke with the team today at practice - 2:30pm. He said he knows he has said he wants to play transition bb before but simply did not have the players to do - no slam intended to those players - so he understands that some will be skeptical. He said a four guard scheme is best suited for the match up with UMSL but when we play a team like UNCC with a legit pf that a four guard scheme will not work. He said he enjoys this team and they seem to enjoy each other. He thinks it is important to win tomorrow since building early confidence is critical for this team. He is excited with these players and thinks the team will be a lot more fun to watch than last year but is not really sure how many games they will win.

I'm not wild about that idea. Who is going to rebound? It's too bad we weren't able to sign a serviceable big last year, especially considering two of the scholarships went unused. Even after we signed Obi, I said we should have also gotten a big who was ready to contribute something, since it looked like O wouldn't be ready this year.

>Obviously Brad did not find anybody interested in coming

>that was better than what we had. I would rather he save

>the schollie then give it to a warm body like Spoon use to

>do.

Then I guess I'm blaming Brad and staff for not finding anybody. It seems like we're always "saving" schollies hoping something better will come along.

Ace,

I agree a four guard line-up is not going work in the A10. I blame the coaching staff for not getting the right players. This coaching staff has had three years to get a four and has not accomplished it yet. I see four types signing at all the schools around us and were are "holding" schollies. It just does not make sense. While the four guards may work against UMSL and Maryville it will not against the A10.

>Ace,

>

>I agree a four guard line-up is not going work in the A10. I

>blame the coaching staff for not getting the right players.

>This coaching staff has had three years to get a four and

>has not accomplished it yet.

Unless, one of the guards is Blake Ahern. Then we could beat Duke at Duke.........

while i am not enthralled one bit with the four guard thing, it sounds like we are in for it the entire season. when asked tonite if the plan changes when johnson and newborne come into the game, coach soderberg said that the offensive set still will be identical with 4 players on the perimeter and ian roaming the middle. johnson and newborne will be expected to go set picks still, but not from the inside.

second, to state it just wont work...i dont know. let's give it a chance. the point is, other than vouyoukas, the next best 6 players on the team are obviously guards. so this gives us a chance to have as many of them in the game at one time. villanova went pretty far last year with four guards. listening to brad last night, it is obvious he wants to run and run and run to try to force the other teams size have to keep up with the guards. it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

i agree with hardball, we should have found at least one legit power forward by now. however, it could be said that johnson just didnt live up to the challenge as well. we have seen the skill set johnson possesses, it is the focus and consistency that isnt there. he was a legitimate recruit for the spot

obi, no doubt has a major body. it is just the one wheel is still in recovery. still i understand the position that coach soderberg is in and i guess i am willing to roll the dice. it now seems like the best option considering the pieces.

one thing that earl mentioned tonite is the comparison to spoons good run. 5 wins in clagget's freshmen season. 11 wins the soph year then they exploded. that team was built around good guards. claggett, highmark, waldmen, turner and mccauley all five were legit starters. and normally at least 3 in the game at one time.

just 3 years ago, we were looking to phillip hunt for minutes. now we are loaded in the backcourt and one legit inside player.

the biggest thing i noticed tonite at the meeting was the enthusiasm by both earl and coach soderberg. i have never seen either of the two as excited as they are at this point in the season.

i'm getting my blue sunglasses out and jumping on the wagon. call it blind faith. but i'm buying.

other bits i remember from the meeting. cheryl said about 10 million short yet, but claims two big name sponsors on the fringe. yeah.

the thing that stood out from cheryl's time at the mike, she mentioned she is in process of having a separate practice facility that will adjoin the arena designed and added to the project, she said she really thinks this is needed, but laughed she has no idea how she will pay for that.

earl was his usual self just full of info, but he did spend a lot of time on the importance of that billiken madness night and the success of it. he said the show was extremely impressive to the 8 underclassmen recruits that attended. and he stressed that brad is really making an effort to fill needs locally if the talent is there. these kids coming up are really special. who knows.

i'm on the wagon. who's with me?

We were 19-13 two years ago with a lot less talent, playing in a stronger conference. If we don't at least match that record, I will be disappointed.

Our staring five that year versus this year:

Frericks v. Ian Advantage Ian

Sloan v. Liddell Advantage Liddell

Drejaj (sophomore) v. Drejaj (senior) Advantage Drejej Senior

Reggie v. Brown Offensive Advantage Reggie; Defensive Advantage Brown

Polk v. Fisher Advantage Fisher

Bench: Izik, Varner, and a very raw and inexperienced Ian v. Lisch, Meyer, JJ, Newborne, and Husak Advanatage current team

I don't think anyone on this board ever got off the wagon...Bills fan do or die, thick or thin, for life. The 4 guard, well, we'll just have to see. The key guy in this lineup in my estimation is DB. With his athleticism and body, he's our defacto #4. It's just a shame JJ or VN didn't sieze the opportunity. If this plays out all year, wouldn't this mean JJ's 4 yr contribution to the Bills is just about nil? Shame, the skills and the sixe of the protypical 4 but not the heart. As for failure to recruit a 4, I don't get it either. Can't believe we can't find a 6'7" 220 lb kid out there somewhere. But it's go Bills time again....so go Bills!