Injuries

Billikan

Over the years I have attended a number of practices and at times last year I thought they were the most physical I have ever seen. There were drills where virtually no fouls we called and people ran into the wall in chasing loose balls. I have not been able to see any practices this year but it sounds like they are as intense as ever.

Question: Is there a point that we should cut down on the physical play in practice to avoid injuries to our key players? My answer is that we need to make sure our players are tough enough for the grind in CUSA and the big brutes at Cinn., etc. On the other hand, if we lose players like Frericks and IO to injuries our team will struggle to compete with the better teams.

On another note--based upon the reports on Frericks, we will have 4 "commando" type players-- Sloan, Drejaj, Fisher and Frericks and it will be brutal for any team who is playing us when those 4 are in the game. That group looks a lot like the old Wisconsin teams who were hell to play against in the Big Ten. Let's hope we can have some of the success if everyone survives the preseason practices.

Varner must have improved greatly to be considered similar to our four "commandos". I hope you are right--if he payed that hard and tough and also could hit his outside shots he may well be part of the rotation, at least until Ian is eligible and can get his feet on the ground.

I agree that Varner seemed out of shape and slow at various times over the last two years. However, if he has finally gotten back in shape after his two year mission then he could be a valuable bench player. he is tough and he can shoot--or at least he could shoot before he went into the horrendous slump-- I still am sick about some of his airballs at crucial times--especially in the Missouri game. I hope for his sake and ours that he is back in form!

I think Varners shooting slump has been over for quite some time. remember the buzzer beater he made last year.

Varner will never be a good player but he is tough, and has a nose for the ball, if a rebound comes out or a ball is on the floor Varner invariably gets it. He positions himself very well. And of course he is a very good 3 point shooter.

I was amazed at your comments about his 3 point shooting because I remembered a awful lot of bricks last year so I checked the stats and I beilieve that he was 5 for 23 from 3 point range last year for a dismal 21%. I think he may be better this year but in game action last year he was horrible. I do remember the long 3 at the end of one of the early games two years ago but he has not done much since!

I believe the three Ross made at the end of the game two years ago was against Washington. I remember listening to it on the radio because I was home for Christmas break. Didn't Ross also hit a three at the buzzer, right before halftime this past year at DePaul? Ross seems to be pretty streaky. He's capable of being a nice shooter, but I'm not counting on him playing a major role on this year's team.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

He did have a buzzer-beater at the half against DePaul, although, if my memory serves, I believe the replay showed that he didn't actually beat the buzzer, and yet it still counted :-D. Ross seems like a good guy, so I'd love to see him do well, but I think his role will primarily be to play defense, hustle, and rebound. Any offense will be a bonus.

That's true StlCardinal, it was actually late. If I remember correctly, we were watching that game and eating Papa John's in my room when that happened. Good times, good times! By the way, you think Scrivener would get upset if we popped open a champagne bootle after we upset 'Zona this upcoming season? I'm sure he would understand! Besides, what he doesn't know won't hurt us (actually just you)! ;) He can certainly join us for the party though if he wants!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

I can't wait for the day when we don't even have to debate over players like Ross Varner. No offense to Ross, as I know he has his positives, but I don't like how almost every year we have players like him that we even have to think about getting playing time and contributing. The way things look and reading all your posts, we may only be a couple years away from that. Won't it be great, when our worst bench players can contribute at the D-1 level? Go Bills! I look forward to watching this program continue to grow!

For some fans there will/must always be a whipping boy on the roster! Be it Drew Diener last season, or Ross Varner this season, or whomever next season, some fans just need someone to ***** about. Imo, the reason RV will get some minutes, especially earlier in the season, is that he can be "trusted" in setting his picks in the motion offense and he can be "trusted" to be in the right place defensively. When someone more productive than RV comes along, that player will take RV's minutes. Until then, RV plays a bit!

I think what Tonka said was on the money. It's not a knock against Drew or Varner personally. It's not their fault they were offered scholarships.

The bottom line is, I think fans of any program want to upgrade the talent level of their favorite team. That's not a bad thing. I'm glad we don't have Braun or Diener any more. Or going back further Troy Robertson or Larry Simmons. I don't want to have 5th year seniors or 24-year-olds with little upside on the end of our bench. I'd rather see us have some young players like Husak or Clarke on the bench who have potential. That seems more productive for the future of the program. If you're a senior and your still on the end of the bench, that's a waste of a scholarship, IMO.

I don't like to have whipping boys, I just want to see the program upgrade the talent. That looks like what Brad's doing.

Varner was one of those Romar second choice picks after we missed out on number one. I think Ross has a good attitude and will get some PT this year but having said all that hopefully JJ and IO and Reggie will prove that coach Brad can come out smelling like roses from a bad recruiting situation unlike Romar.

You stated, "fans of any program want to upgrade the talent level". Indeed, that is a good thing.

However, in constantly doing this, the new upgraded talent will also be viewed as better or more talented than some or one of the existing players, most likely a senior. For some fans, this senior will then become that seasons' "whipping boy" and will be considered a wasted scholarship.

It's unlikely that any college team has 13 highly talented players of equal ability.

If you have several seniors and some of them 5th year seniors who are still not starters, that either means you have a bunch of awesome underclassmen who are good enough to start or you've wasted some scholarships on your seniors. Unfortunately, I think the latter has been the case too often with the program in recent years. On the bright side, I think Brad is on his way to making the former a reality.

i dont think we will know that for about 4 more years. the most recent recruiting class has both potential and questions imo. however i dont see the next coming of carmelo anthony on the roster yet. that said, what brad did last year finding izik and anthony on short notice is nothing short of astounding. one thing is for sure, i dont think brad and his staff will get outworked by anyone. however it does disappoint me that he wasted the summer pursuing grimes instead of going full bore after shaw right away. i hope that doesnt come back to haunt us, but we shall see next spring who the real consolation prize will be. my point is that i agree we have probably the most balanced recruiter as a head coach since recruiting became a priority about 20 years ago, however, i dont think we should be assuming brad is going to go out and get big time talent at this point yet. and with every hidden gem, or rough project he brings in, there will be failures guaranteed.

Ross is an easy target, but he has a complete game, within his athletic capabilities, and understands UB's philosophy, and offensive and defensive schemes. JJ clearly has the greater athletic ability, but Ross is way ahead of him in the depth chart now, imo.

Look at it like this ... yes he probably spent a lot of time going after Grimes, while unsure if he would land him or not ... but to have gone after Shaw and forgotten Grimes would be a mistake. We have to go after the best. You win some you lose some. How would we feel right now if Brad had not gone so hard at Tommie L because he wasn't sure he could get him and went harder at a lesser recruit.

I for one will take misses ... if we land our share.

I disagree that there will always be a whipping boy. Will there always be a team of equivalent talent - no! More than likely there will never be that. As someone mentioned, I will also be thrilled when a player like Marquee Perry is the whipping boy. That means the program has come a long way. I think there will always be players that underachieve for their ability and as fans we have every right to point out the bad as well as the good. I originally said what I said, because it seems in the past years, there was always an excuse why we had certain players. It was always...well, that was a leftover from Romar, or Spoonhour, or Grawer, etc. I just can't wait till the day when we don't have any players who would struggle to play at the D-1 level night in and night out. That's a good thing. We're on the right path. If Brad continues to recruit hard and brings in some good players, then, should he ever decide to leave and we upgrade our coaching again...then Brad's recruits would be nice for a new coach to come in and acquire.

You know, this all brings to mind a great thought. Who would get the vote, for being the best whipping boy of all time at SLU? There are many that come to mind. The ones that do though, usually got some playing time. There were probably many that would of been huge whipping boys, had they got any playing time, but they never left the bench for us to have anything to point out. Remember Eric Bickel and Travis Tadysak? How about Downtown Don Braun?

Varner is clearly a D1 player - how else could he look so good in practice against others - assuming they are D1 players? You certainly can't build a team around him, but the best teams also have role players. It's not fair to make the lesser player the whipping boy - that should be reserved for the talented guy who doesn't show up with the right attitude or whatever. Who really let us down last year? It sure wasn't DD - it was the two guys who dropped the ball in their school work and had to leave. OK, maybe it was CB a little...