Who plays when Ian sits

ACE

i think a lot depends on the continued development of justin johnson and what we really have with obi.

I think Bryce can be a decent back up if Brad uses him properly. He can't have him chasing smaller guys out on the floor.[same for Ian] Stick him in the middle and let him alter shots. I'm probably whistling in the dark but Brad should show some Zone especially when Bryce is in the game.

since i watched more nba this year during the playoffs than i have watched total in the last 10 years, i have new respect for various zones. the wizards alternated defenses throughout and i thought were most effective when running zones and matchup defenses rather than man-to-man. but of course that might have something to do with the fact arenas isnt too interested in playing defense and brenda has less defensive range than bryce has.

my point, i totally agree with willie. put bryce in for short bursts for ian to catch his breath and go zone for a few possessions. by the time the opponent makes the adjustments, put ian back in the game. could really be effective imo.

one thing that kills me about how our bigs play defense is that if they are matched up against someone that can dribble and drive and that person gets the ball 12 feet from the goal we go racing out there and they put the ball on the floor and drive around us resulting in either a lay up, a lay up and a foul, 2 free throws or at least a foul when we grab them as they go by, yes I am advocating having the opponent prove they can make the 12 footer before I send someone racing out there.

the good thing is there aren't a lot of those dribble drive bigs out there but this scenario plays out almost every time

Bryce is the perfect player to have for a zone. It seems to be a no brainer but I don't think it will happen.

I think Bryce will be the main backup to Ian, but hopefully Ian will be on the floor alot.

The idea of Bryce chasing smaller guys around court seems to be an un-Soderberg like thought!

However, I did hear a rumor that our folks at West Pine were seriously thinking about going to a 2-3 zone, with 7-2 Bryce and 6-11 Ian out front to make it difficult for the oppositions' 3-pt shooters. Sounds like something that the wild and crazy Soderberg would do!

That would be quite unorthodox.

One would think Mr Liddell and his long arms would be a better idea for a zone out top. Maybe he and Brown out top, Obi, JJ (playing hard and smart), and Ian or husak in the middle would be a fairly formidable zone.

I usually prefer a 3-2 mathup zone with the 3 guys out top trapping in the half court. Thats works best for 12 year old girls at least.

The smaller quicker guys in the middle makes sense, they would be able to step in quicker and get set therfore taking more charges and requiring our opponents to become strictly perimiter shooting teams. If you can't get to the hole ... then with Ian and Bryce roaming around with their long arms swatting shots like flies.

Some one email UB.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

According to "my source on campus", the staff has analyzed 67 A-10 late season game tapes and found that 81% of all 3pters made in those 67 games were made in an arc 23 degrees left or right of a line perpendicular from the top-of-the-key to the basket rim. Supposedly 21% of the 3pters made were directly on top of the key. Thus, the thought of long armed Bryce and Ian roaming that 23% arc areas makes sense to me.

Trust Brad "to use them properly"!

Now it's time for a haircut, dentist appointment and a drive to Columbia!

I agree completely ... if we put the guards inside drawing charges ... even when they get off a decent 3 the rebound will be long and right into the arms of Ian and Bryce

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

If you want to put one of the centers out there at the top of the key and you can get the pf to rebound then maybe but Roy is correct - we need the centers for rebounding and to hope that they will get all the long rebounds coming of of 3pts assumes that they will be able to beat a smaller/quicker man to the ball. That is usually where the guards get their rebounds.

Bigs cannot play 18 ft from the basket. If we did do this than the opposing team will just throw the ball inside and back down the likes of lisch, AD, DP, etc. And then if the bigs came down to help, then they would be exhausted 4 or 5 possesions into the game. UB would never put our big slow guys at the top. Come on guys, can anyone name any team in Division one in the last 10 years that put slow 7 footers on top of the 2-3 zone. The only way a big would play on top was if it was as 1-2-2, but even in that case TL would do probably play the top because of his long arms. UB would probably be fired mid-season if he tried this crazy Defense.

Can someone back me up on this PLEASE