Dustin Maguire commits to SLU

I don't have a Gateway Basketball Club schedule, but I don't think they are playing in the area any more this summer. They've had two tournaments here in St. Louis already.

You'll probably get a chance to see Civic Memorial again at the Shootout.

Nate

I don't know how good this guy is.........so temper this statement with that knowledge. I'm not really all that excited about this pickup. I was really set on our next recruit being a big man.

Thanks for the info Nate!

When I saw the post earlier today about Dustin's visit, I began to think that it was reasonably likely that he would commit to SLU in the next couple days. I had no inside information, only history to reference. If you look back, Dwayne Polk and Kevin Lisch committed to SLU at this exact same time during the two prior years.

I have not lived in the St. Louis Metro area since '96, but I never heard of Civic Memorial HS. Where the heck is it? Can anyone who has see this kid play tell us if he can be a big time player in the future?

Dustin has interest from several schools, but did not have any other scholarship offers at this point.

I think the coaching staff sees Maguire as a perfect fit to go with guards like Dwayne Polk, Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch who can penetrate, draw the defense and dish it out to a shooter on the perimeter. Maguire is a very good shooter.

I think he will fit right in with the other guys they have recruited recently.

Maguire said SLU told him that they wouldn't recruit any more guards in his (junior) class. I know the Billikens were interested in several combo guards/forwards, but I think most of the interest is probably in guys who are more forward than guard (like Bobby Hill).

If the Billikens can land the 6-foot-9 kid from Texas, who I've heard could be the sleeper big man they need, I think the program will definitely be headed in the right direction.

- Nate

it was my understanding that both purdue and siu had shown considerable interest.

as to the type of player that maguire is, i would say he is a big man that can shoot. ala steve novak at marquette. however, he is physically as strong as novak right now. (of course novak is a better shooter as right now as well though, so dont take my words to say he is a better player than novak) the part i like about maguire is that with is size, if need be, he could defend bigger players.

i would have liked to have seen leonard be that first recruit from the junior class, but brad obviously has a plan. we need this kid from texas.

maguire is bigger than meyer. i dont believe he is only 6'5". but maybe he looks bigger because he is so much stronger and plays inside for civic.

This is what I like to see out our coaches. We come of a terrible year and he is still able to pick up one of the best wings in the area. I hope that Brad is finally getting comfortable in St. Louis and is now beginning to put together a NCAA tournament team. I am finally confident that Brad will be able to pick up some Bigs to go along with our guards.

>maguire is bigger than meyer. i dont believe he is only

>6'5". but maybe he looks bigger because he is so much

>stronger and plays inside for civic.

If he plays inside in HS but is projected as a wing in college, does he have the athleticm to guard the wing???? Is this guy another tweener, Vash'un Newborne with an outside shot? I've never seen him play so haven't a clue to the answer.

to be honest, i have never seen him guard an athletic winglike player. civic has two more very athletic guards that would always take care of that. so i cant comment on his defensive abilities away from the basket.

Roy, please take this as a question and that is how it is intended, just trying to learn and these are the wonders in my slight mind...if you have some answers...please do

you have mentioned Leonard several times here lately, including today where you wish he was the first recruit to commit to SLU.

he did not play hs bball last year did he?

is playing AAU this year?

is he in school right now making progress to graduation?

does he project to academic eligibility?

what season would be his frosh in college?

is he a diamond in the rough type that since he did not play last yr he will fall off the radar at other schools and SLU will get him?

he was a top 30 soph nationally ranked, wasn't he?

height and weight?

is SLU still on him?

is he on SLU?

who else is on him?

sorry for the long list but I am very curious

i have no inside information in the slightest on the billiken thoughts on leonard. i only believe that we are on his list due to us being listed as one of his suitors at insiders.com.

he didnt play basketball last winter due to a medical condition to i believe his face or lip. nothing basketball related.

my wishes are simply because he is the second most potential in the area in the junior class behind alex tyus. anytime we are in the running for such a fine player, why wouldnt anyone wish for that to come to fulfillment?

i do not know if he is playing this summer. quite possibly concentrating on making up missed academics. i dont know.