Nice Win Tonite

Great win at home. IO was excellent. IV played tough, was a factor whenever he was in the game. DB showed athleticism and was money from the free-throw line down the stretch - lots of poise for a freshman. LM also looked good.

DP - free throws not falling, definitely needs to work on free throws. Great block in the 2nd half. Handled the press well. AD played a good floor game tonite.

JJ - quality minutes, very tough under the boards with a nice physical presence. RB - where has his shooting touch gone?

This game has to make Brad and the players feel good.

best game that ian has ever had hands down. he and izik totally outplayed the memphis bigs.

if darius washington is an nba player, than so is dwayne! polk's block on washington was definitely a highlight.

meyer and brown were both splendid, especially down the stretch. both just continue to get better and better.

drejaj also a very good floor game. controlled the game at the point and had two just outstanding espn quality assists.

winning is a heck of a lot more fun.

i thought the ref show was comical. the one ref that looked kinda like bud abbott, was the most billiken biased ref we have ever had. until the last 2-3 minutes, i dont think he had a memphis favored call! of course the other two, (the one looked like lon kruger and the other was i think father biondi's brother) were apparently on the memphis payroll and doing their best to get the tigers back in the game.

calipari has to be the worst floor coach in all the land. my gosh the players that team has and they lose?

how about that dorsey kid's body?!?! and that is a freshman! my gosh, he is bigger and stronger than karl malone right now.

band, the rocky top playing was awesome. i was lmao!

a trey from Reggie, I thought he had that one from the right side in the second half. Great to see Izik play so well on senior night!! Future looks bright for us with DP, DB LM and IV

The Polk Washington show was fascinating.....while he got a few garbage points at the end, at one point with about 5 minutes left in the game Dwayne had held him to 4 points!!!

What was the deal with the 1and1 free throw that Memphis had late in the game, when the other nine players on the court thought that the shooter had two shots and nobody even blinked when the shooter got his own rebound and made an uncontested layup? Did the referees not clearly indicate that it was a 1and1 situation?

Fortunately, SLU made enough free throws to overcome that little lapse in concentration.

the ref stands there with both hands out, the scoreboard showed 9 fouls, what else do the billikens want in the way of notice. no just a team fu imo. we were lucky we had a cushion to get us through that.

broy, glad to see that you are finally coming around a little on IV and his potential. Better a little late than never. Speaking of never....I wonder if bauman will come on board the battleship IV this March or next March.

If Lisch and Liddell are going to come in next season and push DP, DB, AD and LM to the bench....SLU is going to be pretty darn good on the perimeter.

Hopefully, SLU is still looking to Europe for post players. I'd take a chance on one every two years. They can shoot and pass, and they are normally good students.

The wonderful thing about this game is that it validates what most of us have said for years about the high school gurus and the so called top 100 rankings. Memphis has been touted as a team of top recruits the past two years. Yet our young guys, Danny, Luke, Dwayne and Ian outplayed this team of high school superstars. the only reason it was close at all is because Carney hit 4 28 foot desperation shots and we missed some free throws.

Also, for next year, I though both Newborne and JJ played very well with a lot of energy. With Ian playing big and tough in the middle we were extremely tough with IO playing the game of his life. It was interesting to hear the post game show and the observation that in the last few games the emphasis of the other teams has been to double and triple team Ian because they cannot stop him one on one.

I have been frustrated with Drejaj at times but he played a great game tonight--partly because he did not try to shoot from outside and he emphasized moving the ball, penetration and passing. Also his defense was tough as nails with several great steals.

I would guess that other coaches in the league are noticing how well we have played down the stretch and we are the last team anyone will play in the conf. tournament. For the first time in a long time, I heard some real hope in Brad's voice in the post game show. I give a huge amount of the credit to the players on this team and the coaching staff. They never quit when they could have just mailed it in!

tseugnekillib, you need to go back and read my posts in the past about ian. i have repeatedly, if not always, the very very vast majority of my posts stated that i agreed he has vast potential. my negative commentary was always to negate the gushing praise he would get for adequate at best performances. i.e. i have always said i believed he had potential to be good, only that he wasnt very good RIGHT NOW.

tonite, i cant complain about anything that he did in the game. i thought he dominated erwin and dorsey. considering how much more physically stronger both erwin and dorsey are that is some accomplishment.

billikan, imo, you can see the sheer talent that memphis has. they just dont know how to play basketball and are very poorly coached. we should buy one of the 6 pf's they have on their team and a coach as good as soderberg could actually make something out of him.

just got done reading the box score of the game. as i wrote above, i agreed with your assessment of drejaj, but the box score shows him with 6 turnovers. after thinking about the game, i guess that i negated a couple of those turnovers when he stole the ball right back. weird stuff.

Kudos to the Billikens.

Coming home and seeing that score has made my day, my week for that matter.

Memphis has often run into trouble in St. Louis.

Keep the faith. Better days are ahead for our Billikens. We will survive this year. Can we just find that power forward somewhere?

And tonight's win is the best possible response to Bernie M.'s column.

Memphis has to hands down win the award for most disappointing team in CUSA and probably in the Top 5 for that award in the country. They do have a liability on the bench every game.

When you think of the talent on Memphis wouldn't this rank as our top win of the season? We played some other conference foes tough but I have NEVER been too fond of moral victories.

Nice way for Izik to go out with an outstanding performance in front of the home crowd. It looks like Reggie had a tough night shooting the ball which is too bad.

We have one of their PF's in JJ ... The problem is that most of those guys can dominate in HS without really trying due to their superior physical presence. What you can't judge is which of them have the heart and desire to continue to improve and get better as the size and talent of their opponents matches theirs. In a way being able to dominate in HS without having to give your best is probably a liability for alot of kids as they develop bad work habits.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I thought JJ played very well in limited action. He made two buckets that we absolutely had to have after Memphis was starting a mini run in the second half.

I liked the intensity from VN and AD as well.

DP's poor free throw shooting could really hurt us in the tournament. I hope he's able to get it together.

Indeed, a terrific win for the Billikens. Frankly, its even sweeter that you clobbered Memphis, ending their tourney hopes for the time being.

I guess SLU can do the same on Saturday with MU. Its a big spot for Marquette - - at 19-9, MU is fighting to get back on the bubble, and with two good wins in the last week they are just about there. SLU has a chance to play spoiler again. Should be a good game (btw, it'll be senior day for MU too).

Marquette Basketball Blog

http://marquettebasketball.blogspot.com

compared to the memphis guys that just kept trotting out there, jj looked skinny and small!

Calipari was noticably limping in the 2nd half. He wasnt limping in the first half. Either he twisted his ankle on one of those long walks to the middle of the court, or he kicked something at halftime. On a related note, when the hell are the refs going to crack down on the coaches being on the floor. There were times in the first half that Calipari was on the damn floor when the Bills were coming down trying to set up the offense. The Charlotte lunatic did the same damn thing.

In the second half, after in bounding the ball, Reggie ran into Cal's arm (hard, and on purpose) as he was on the court pointing at one of his players. Cal wasnt even looking, and "bam" there's reggie.

No. Guy clearly said one and one. My thought was that since all the free throws at the other end were 2 shots at that point, the players just weren't thinking. I also wonder if the ref did not provide much of a signal to make it clear. However, I did not see the ref.

I know Guy said one and one because as the player was getting ready to take the shot, I remember wondering why no one on either team looked like they were ready to rebound. They all just stood there during the shot.