Which team is actually a rival with St. Louis?

It depends on what nyou mean by rival ... In the sense of Texas-OU, Alab.-Aub, Cubs-Cards, Cowboys-Redskins... none are, and I don't think SLU has one. But Mrquette, Cinci, Louisville etc... are all rivalries to a lesser extent. I guarantee Tom Crean considers SLU a rivalry to some extent, so does Hugs, and definately Pitino does. Just because you have some idiotic fan who wants to make a backhanded putdown by claiming a school is not a rival doesn't make it so.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I used to really look forward to those Xavier games back in the Grawer era. I sure hope that they can develop into our rival. We've also had some great games recently with Dayton.

they have a new thread on that marquette board right now making fun of our bad virgin island run. they are beginning to resemble the typical mi$$ouri fans more and more. all they need is to get caught cheating and defend that and we wont be able to tell them apart anymore.

3 star said, "I thought it was the Badgers and the Bearcats that they detested."

the billikens arent the warriors rivals. everyone knows that. marquette is elite.

FYI: Looks like the Wisconsin rivaly may be coming to an end after this year, and the Bearcats were never high on our rival list. Usually it goes DePaul, Louisville, ND, and then Cincy.

Well, congrats on your first win, but it will take many more to make the tournament, and then foru more to make that final four you guys are going to get.

As soon as you start landing the recruits we do, then you can be considered as the same level as Marquette.

No one here has said he/she expects the Billkens to reach the Final Four this year (or next year, for that matter). But Marquette isn't any more likely to reach the Final Four this year.

The Billikens don't need to get the recruits that Marquette gets; SLU needs to get good, skilled, and athletic players who can play team ball in Brad Soderberg's system. That's already happening. Also, I'll take Dwayne Polk, Tommie Liddell, and Kevin Lisch as eagerly as any player Marquette has recruited, including Dwayne Wade and Dameon Mason.

Lastly, getting highly-touted recruits is not what puts a team on a certain level: it's what the recruits accomplish while they're in school. Memphis gets committments from the cream of the crop, but they haven't done jack squat (partly because the recruits never get there). Missouri has recruited a number of top-notch classes but hasn't done anything with them.

>FYI: Looks like the Wisconsin rivaly may be coming to an end

>after this year, and the Bearcats were never high on our

>rival list. Usually it goes DePaul, Louisville, ND, and then

>Cincy.

>

>Well, congrats on your first win, but it will take many more

>to make the tournament, and then foru more to make that

>final four you guys are going to get.

>

>As soon as you start landing the recruits we do, then you

>can be considered as the same level as Marquette.

Louisville?!?! Look who's dreaming. They don't consider you a rival.

Actually, I do believe Louisville does look at us at a Rival. If they don't I don't see why our games are always heated and down to the wire. I'll actually bet you that a good majority of Louisville fans will say we are a rival.

Do yourself a favor and pay attention to C-USA before making an ass of yourself.

Do some research and checks these things out:

Pitno's record in the Bradley Center.

Crean's record in Freedom Hall.

How many UL/MU games were within four points

How many UL/MU games ended with Louisville or Marquette players taunting the home crowd.

Pitino's false scouting reports left in the Bradley Center.

To say UL and MU aren't rivals in the Pitino/Crean era is just ignorant.

>Actually, I do believe Louisville does look at us at a

>Rival. If they don't I don't see why our games are always

>heated and down to the wire. I'll actually bet you that a

>good majority of Louisville fans will say we are a rival.

>

>Do yourself a favor and pay attention to C-USA before making

>an ass of yourself.

>

>Do some research and checks these things out:

>Pitno's record in the Bradley Center.

>Crean's record in Freedom Hall.

>How many UL/MU games were within four points

>How many UL/MU games ended with Louisville or Marquette

>players taunting the home crowd.

>Pitino's false scouting reports left in the Bradley Center.

>

>

>To say UL and MU aren't rivals in the Pitino/Crean era is

>just ignorant.

Talk about delusions of grandeur. Yeah, I'm sure Louisville fans rank the rivalry right up there with Kentucky, Memphis and UC. LOL!

Here are a few facts for you, Mr. C-USA historian. The Billikens have won five of the last seven overall agains Louisville. The Bills have beat the Cards six of the last seven at Savvis Center.

Let me first answer with what I think defines rival. When both schools fans, coaches and players consider it so. And please let's not let a SMALL portion of message board people speak for the majority of fans at SLU, Marquette, Louisville etc....

Rivals do not have to mean proimity.(Cowboys Redskins of yesteryear for example)

As for Marqpt or whatever the moniker is....

Over the course of history, Marquette's rivals were ND, DePaul in basketball. But ask any Domer from 1980 something on, and the rivaly is ONLY in the eyes of Marquette's fans. ND has so many rivals. Marquette and SLU are not historic rivals because they didn't play until the early 90's. I thought there was some potential in the early 90's at the old barn on Oakland ave and the Bradley Center. The reason SLU/Marquette hasn't developed more is that both teams have not been good enough together for the same period of time. There is only a limited 10-15 year history of playing regularly. I think it would really help if SLU developed a much larger student section. Such a pet peeve of mine with SLU. Marquette's rivals in recent 15 year period: Cincinnati and Wisconsin. Cinci is due to conference competition only. Wisconsin is like the Mizzou/SLU deal. Where I bet if you asked a lot of the local non out of staters in WI, they would probably be rooting for Badger football one day steadfastly against their hoops team. Some obviously just root against WI altogether. This is very similar to Mizzou/SLU. SLU doesn't get the respect from media, Mizzou folks etc...overall head to head with Mizzou, as opposed to the above mentioned WI/Marquette rivalry. SLU needs to build consistent 25 teams most years and build that back up, and they will get more credit. Gotta win first. When the STATE school is good, they will get the media attention every time locally, in any state. If you have success as the non-state school, you will get you due.

Cinci? If you asked someone at the Bearcat Cafe or wherever, they would say Xavier, Louisville, and Marquette ...not Ohio St or Dayton...if question was a current one. Louisville? In order, right now...UK, Cinci, Marquette.

The old SLU/Xavier was a rivalry to me and I enjoyed going to those games under Grawer. I think Memphis has lost some of their rivals, though Louisville from old Metro days would be one, and UT. Memphis was stuck in that other half of conference for a while.