Womens Basketball 2023-2024

thetorch

26 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Not a good first qtr (massive understatement). 25-8 lead for Green Bay, SLU has 8 turnovers to 4 for Green Bay, is being out-rebounded 9-3, and is shooting 36% from the field to 64% for Green Bay. Yuck. Need to do better.

I mean, isn't GB a top 40 team? They're pretty good this year. My expectations weren't terribly high for this one.

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43-19 Green Bay, marginal improvement. Turnovers getting closer, 12-9, and points off turnovers 12-8 favor of Green Bay, so that’s not the reason we’re behind.  Being outrebounded 18-10 and they are shooting 59% while we are at 33% is a problem. Need to figure out rebounding and get shooting better.

87-54 loss. Green Bay entered as the much better team, and proved it.  Turnovers ended up 18-15 in favor of Green Bay, with SLU actually getting 3 more points off turnovers, so since they were on a pace to give up over 30 turnovers, they fixed that. Lost the rebounding battle 33-25, but biggest issue is shooting, we shot 36/29/61, not good enough. Julia Martinez shot 57%, Tierra Simon and Brooklyn Gray both shot 50%, but everyone else… Oh well, on to the next game another road game against a good team in Illinois State. Coach Tillet likes to schedule a tough non-conference schedule.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

87-54 loss. Green Bay entered as the much better team, and proved it.  Turnovers ended up 18-15 in favor of Green Bay, with SLU actually getting 3 more points off turnovers, so since they were on a pace to give up over 30 turnovers, they fixed that. Lost the rebounding battle 33-25, but biggest issue is shooting, we shot 36/29/61, not good enough. Julia Martinez shot 57%, Tierra Simon and Brooklyn Gray both shot 50%, but everyone else… Oh well, on to the next game another road game against a good team in Illinois State. Coach Tillet likes to schedule a tough non-conference schedule.

Thanks for the recap tonight, I missed this one. When this team is off, they are really off.

48-42 Ill State, Billikens in foul trouble, 17 fouls called against them so far, despite only committing 8-9 fouls, while only 6 fouls called against the Redbirds.  Good to see refs suck outside of Chaifetz sometimes. Billikens shooting well, 14 pts for Brooklyn Gray and 10 for Kyla McMakin, rebounding edge 18-17 for the Billikens, turnovers even at 5. They have a 3 pt shooter who’s hot. Fouls are the difference in the game.

64-54 Ill State, game looked fairly ugly for both teams in the 3rd qtr. #12 for the Redbirds is hitting some 3’s, already broke her career points record. Billikens need to avoid fouls and shoot better, only 25% in the 3rd, not going to get it done. No more 3 pt attempts by Calhoun Kennedy.

87-81 loss for the Billikens. Sent them to the line 42 times on 31 fouls. Billikens didn’t shoot well enough in the second half. 23 pts for Peyton Kennedy, 19 for Kyla McMakin, 18 for Brooklyn Gray. Kennedy Calhoun missed her shots, some of those 3pt attempts looked bad, Camree Clegg also not shooting well tonight, only 2-8. Julia Martinez got 9 pts, 8 rebounds, 9 assists. Not happy with the officiating, but oh well. On to the conference schedule.

Biggest problem for the Billikens in the non-conference appears to be defense. Offensively they are averaging 74.8 points per game, which is #80 in D1 and second in the A10 non-conference. Defense, however, shows they are giving up 76.1 points per game, which is #325 in D1 and last in the A10 non-conference. That’s not going to get the job done.

• 2 weeks later...

Still time to head down to Chaifetz for the game, and you can play Billiken Bingo. Get Bingo, go claim a prize. Rhodey is 1-4 on the road this year, but I have a feeling they want revenge for the 59-56 loss that ended their season in the A10 tournament. Looks like the women’s A10 could be a multi bid league this year. 

IMG_1270.jpeg

Apparently Abou Magassa’s older sister plays for Rhodey, #4, Tenin Magassa. At least I assume so, same last name and from the same hometown in France. If that’s his sister, then I really don’t know why he had issues, she apparently made it through without issue. Oh well.

30 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Apparently Abou Magassa’s older sister plays for Rhodey, #4, Tenin Magassa. At least I assume so, same last name and from the same hometown in France. If that’s his sister, then I really don’t know why he had issues, she apparently made it through without issue. Oh well.

That's correct. Tenin played at Dayton as well.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Time to start a grassroots movement for a change of WBB coach?

If we didn't catch fire and make the NCAA tournament last year, I would still be saying firing Stone was a poor choice. I like Tillett a lot as a person, but I'm not sure she was the one to elevate the program.

The upcoming recruiting class/portal additions will be the make or break class for the Tillet regime. Last year’s class of single digit scoring jucos is giving the lack of results one would expect. Recruiting has to improve greatly or it will be back to the drawing board soon.