Steve SPAM: Steve's Book Available for $8

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

Steve thoughts on repealing the 17th Amendment.

Although hardly a cure all this would give state legislatures vastly more control over federal government and make local elections much more meaningful. Right now state legislatures are basically lobbyists begging the feds for money. This would reverse that, and with senate recalls would possibly give the average voter more power in their vote than direct election.

I am not a states rights guy. We are sooo polarised You have an extreme red state like Missouri on one side and an extreme blue state like California on the other. How could there ever be any consensus on large issues. Don't get me started on the electoral college. 

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

Steve thoughts on repealing the 17th Amendment.

Although hardly a cure all this would give state legislatures vastly more control over federal government and make local elections much more meaningful. Right now state legislatures are basically lobbyists begging the feds for money. This would reverse that, and with senate recalls would possibly give the average voter more power in their vote than direct election.

@thetorch, this is actually where my more academic Political Science career started.  My undergraduate history thesis was about why 3 states did not ratify the 17th Amendment, my Master's thesis was a project where I recreated every US Senate as if the 17th Amendment had not happened, which turned into my first publication.

I would favor repealing the 17th Amendment, largely to make voters more conscious of who is running their state governments.  There are downsides though.  Pre-17th Amendment, there were a number of states that could not decide on a Senator - so they went without Senate representation.  Additionally, voters then may only care about national issues when selecting their state legislators.  State legislators may simply run on which US Senate candidate they would support, and ignore more state-level issues - like roads or education.  But honestly, we don't know how this would turn out in the modern media age.

If really interested in the subject, Charles Stewart and Wendy Schiller have a good book on the history and implications of the 17th Amendment.

https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691163178/electing-the-senate

50 minutes ago, willie said:

I am not a states rights guy. We are sooo polarised You have an extreme red state like Missouri on one side and an extreme blue state like California on the other. How could there ever be any consensus on large issues. Don't get me started on the electoral college. 

One (often overlooked) point I like to make with students about the electoral college is that a state's electoral college votes are the sum of a state's senators and US House Representatives.  When they made this rule, we still had the 3/5 compromise, so part of the agreement of the Electoral College was rooted in slavery. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Wish me luck...The last time I was at Mizzou was SLU v. Mizzou at Hearnes Center, and an Antler tore up one of my signs.

26 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Wish me luck...The last time I was at Mizzou was SLU v. Mizzou at Hearnes Center, and an Antler tore up one of my signs.

Good luck!!

52 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

-Distinguished - well done Sign Guy!

-while you are there if you want to go piss on the Antler's office or whatever they have I think that would only enhance the Distinguished element

Lord Elrond likes this

I'm conflicted.  Much like the German government sending the intellectual contagion that was Lenin to Russia in 1917, this could have unintended consequences.  Than again pissing on Antler HQ might be worth it.  Well Done Steve........as usual.......

6 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

The answer is no  Thank God for term limits

7 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Make sure you bring up their 0-19 record and make sure to mention they lost to Vanderbilt. That crowd will love it.

Lord Elrond likes this