Open Scrimmage

37 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I caught the replay this am. First, pretty nice that ESPN thinks enough of us to broadcast a scrimmage. Second, little disappointed in the fan turnout. Need more hype? 
Fred was tough on both sides. How does he not get 25+ mpg? Whether he starts or comes off the bench he’s a plus, says Captain obvious. I liked Pickett and Forrest as well. They could be real difference makers come A10 play. I thought the FR played well. Especially Thames on D. Kid has quick hands. He’ll be a terror for A10 sized PG’s. Overall, we still have a ways to go to being a top 25 team as we were a little careless with the rock and missed some wide open 3s. But my hopes are high for this group. 

First of all a scrimmage like this - and yes I have been to some in the past - is a glorified dog and pony show.  It never gives a real picture of just what to expect during the season so unless you got nothing else in your life to do then go for it.  Second, I appreciate the situation of our out of town fans but those who live here can not be expected to do all the heavy lifting.  Third, we plunk down over $1K for tickets annually for season tickets and donate to the Billiken Club as part of having those tix.  I ask how many of the out of town fans donate - just wondering.  So, I think we have earned the right to pick and choose what we take our time out to attend.   I do appreciate that some of the out of town fans do show up at an away game once or twice a year to support the team but so do some in town fans.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, slu72 said:

little disappointed in the fan turnout. Need more hype? 

5 pm start makes it almost impossible for most folks working.   but i understand that practice, not fan love, is what yesterday afternoon was about.   so i live with it.   

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I caught the replay this am. First, pretty nice that ESPN thinks enough of us to broadcast a scrimmage. Second, little disappointed in the fan turnout. Need more hype? 
Fred was tough on both sides. How does he not get 25+ mpg? Whether he starts or comes off the bench he’s a plus, says Captain obvious. I liked Pickett and Forrest as well. They could be real difference makers come A10 play. I thought the FR played well. Especially Thames on D. Kid has quick hands. He’ll be a terror for A10 sized PG’s. Overall, we still have a ways to go to being a top 25 team as we were a little careless with the rock and missed some wide open 3s. But my hopes are high for this group. 

1. SLU can broadcast anything they feel like on ESPN+. They could probably live stream just a live shot of Chaifetz arena floor with nothing happening.

2. It was a 20 minute scrimmage and nothing else at 5pm. How many people you think are leaving work early or rushing down to Chaifetz after work for that?

BilliesBy40 likes this

On 8/6/2022 at 1:58 PM, billikenfan05 said:

1. SLU can broadcast anything they feel like on ESPN+. They could probably live stream just a live shot of Chaifetz arena floor with nothing happening.

2. It was a 20 minute scrimmage and nothing else at 5pm. How many people you think are leaving work early or rushing down to Chaifetz after work for that?

Maybe the Billiken needs his own reality show? 🤔 

On 8/6/2022 at 12:50 PM, slu72 said:

Honestly, I believe live streaming/TV broadcasts of games is one of the biggest reasons why attendance has been trending down. People can stay home and watch the game with analysis from home. Remember, 25-40% of the population are introverts (per quick google search lol).

47 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Honestly, I believe live streaming/TV broadcasts of games is one of the biggest reasons why attendance has been trending down. People can stay home and watch the game with analysis from home. Remember, 25-40% of the population are introverts (per quick google search lol).

"i'm an extroverted introvert!"

Oh you mean a normal person....