For everyone on this board....

courtside

the title on the first post of the thread gave no indication it was about soccer. thus, rich opened it up and you soccer fans risked the rich degree. i know that was the only reason i opened it up. had i known it was about soccer, i never would have read it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The post was for everyone to read. It was purposely intended for NON-SOCCER REGULARS...that would Dick and Roy.

The post did not seek Dick out, or encourage his predictable comments. Everyone can post what they want. Although, Dick astutely even made a good point above.

The post wasn't meant to debate soccer vs hoops. It was meant to do two things: 1) what Tonka did above...giving one example...to have a non-soccer person consider attending a game. 2)It was also meant to find out from a current SLU undergrad what else they do between 7-9pm on a Friday night. I think the one thing for you Tonka, and Rich and whomever, ...to keep in mind...is that "your" personal experience of soccer might be a bit different than the level we are discussing. Soccer, like most sports, is highly entertaining when played at its highest level. SLU just so happens to play it at the highest level for D-1, and it happens that they actually play on campus, and tickets are open to the general public. I am not going to get into all of the debates. The only one that jumped out at me was the notion that soccer isn't a physical sport. Obviously your exposure to seeing professional soccer in person, or even major D-1 soccer in person is limited.

If anyone would like to know, Most of the SLU men's basketball team was at the SLU/Virginia soccer game Sunday, and seem to be enjoying the action quite a bit.

Now if I can get a response for #2, I'll be all set. You all can go on debating the merits of the player control foul vs a tackle.

Sitting a few yards away from me Fri night were ... AD, BH and TF. They stayed the entire game with some nice looking young ladies and seemed to enjoy the game. By the way the scenery at a soccer game is usually very nice.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

While I am not a huge soccer fan, I am a fan of SLU soccer...I did attend a number of games in my SLU days and had fun. Heck back then, we were still winning NCAA Championships, and had just started a rivalry with SIUE. I remember attending a couple games at Busch Stadium. I can only follow how the current team is doing in the few articles appearing in the P-D, but the main news on the team is from the fans that post on this board. I don't care if you convert anyone into becoming a SLU soccer follower. Just keep letting us out of town fans that are interested know how the team is doing...it is appreciated by this Alum.

To GOSLU

I ran the St. Louis marathon the last two years so don't assume too much.

I'll admit that basketball players aren't prone to running back and forth over distances that long. Guess what soccer players can't generally dunk or shoot three pointers with a hand in their face. It's a different skill set. I don't think soccer players could play real American football really well either.

I understand soccer, I just do not understand why anyone would want to watch it.

Oh and thanks so much for showing us all how intellectual you are by throwing an oscenity into my name! That really is the last refuge of shallow and troubled mind.....

For the record I've attended two Billiken Soccer Games. One win and the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, a tie. I played soccer in grade school and enjoyed it. I've seen the odd world cup match here and there as well.

Having grown up watching sports with a rudimentary interest factor such as real football and baseball, soccer seems very dull by comparision. Even the World Cup is dull unless you have a dog in the fight.

I'm by no means a soccer expert any more than I'm an art critic. I would submit however that soccer is the Serra Sculpture of professional sports. Perhaps both are just misunderstood.....

Thicks,

I think Schasz answered you better than I could with his post. I am not out to convert anyone to anything. Schasz pointed out the difference to the casual soccer fan or non-soccer fan, of being a SLU soccer fan. I believe there are many others like Schasz out there.

And Dick, do you prefer an 8-7 baseball game or 1-0 game?

I think it is safe to say that participants of different sports all face their sets of challenges. Could a soccer player be good at hoops? Sure. Could a hoops player be good at soccer? Why not? Some skill sets are different and some are similar. To say one or the other is less of an athlete would be inaccurate.

While I think you should you should just let the soccer stuff go (the occasional jab/joke is--of course--fine) and I personally enjoy all kinds of soccer, this metaphor below seems extraordinarily well put.

>I'm by no means a soccer expert any more than I'm an art

>critic. I would submit however that soccer is the Serra

>Sculpture of professional sports. Perhaps both are just

>misunderstood.....

Definitely a finalist in the best "metaphor on a sports board" award.

I can appreciate a pitcher's duel as well as a slugfest. Pro soccer would compare better to Pro baseball if baseball were played on a field twice as large and if ties were settled by a homerun hitting contest.

All athletes are just that ATHLETES. A three-hundred pound NFL lineman can't run with a soccer star but the soccer star can't block in the NFL. No better, no worse.

As always it's very clever of you to use dick instead of Rich! That stopped bothering me and most goofballs stopped using that after about third grade. It's time to get some new material shnoogie-woogie-wugums.

>For the record I've attended two Billiken Soccer Games. One

>win and the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, a tie. I

>played soccer in grade school and enjoyed it. I've seen the

>odd world cup match here and there as well.

>

>Having grown up watching sports with a rudimentary interest

>factor such as real football and baseball, soccer seems

>very dull by comparision. Even the World Cup is dull unless

>you have a dog in the fight.

>

>I'm by no means a soccer expert any more than I'm an art

>critic. I would submit however that soccer is the Serra

>Sculpture of professional sports. Perhaps both are just

>misunderstood.....

And perhaps you are just an illiterate azzhole.

GS

>To GOSLU

>

>I ran the St. Louis marathon the last two years so don't

>assume too much.

>

>I'll admit that basketball players aren't prone to running

>back and forth over distances that long. Guess what soccer

>players can't generally dunk or shoot three pointers with a

>hand in their face. It's a different skill set. I don't

>think soccer players could play real American football

>really well either.

>

>I understand soccer, I just do not understand why anyone

>would want to watch it.

>

>Oh and thanks so much for showing us all how intellectual

>you are by throwing an oscenity into my name! That really

>is the last refuge of shallow and troubled mind.....

I don't give a crap if you ran the Marathon your entire life. You could never match the skills and toughness of a soccer athlete. And many soccer athletes played multiple sports in their career but chose soccer because it is the greatest game.

And endurance is a MINIMUM requirement...a soccer player must be able to strike a ball that hits the upper corner of the net or hit a guy in full stride so he can shoot the ball or head the ball in the goal etc. etc. Skills you can't even comprehend. I mean how fricking hard is it to dunk a ball when your 6 foot plus? I enjoy basketball and I appreciate what basketball athletes can do but your constant disparaging of soccer will not be tolerated.

And NO you do not understand soccer. I'm surprised you have even played. Your lack of knowledge only shows your utter and complete ignorance you jerk.

And your welcome Billiken B*tch.

GS

I'm going to stay out of this soccer conversation (although I agree with much of what Rich says), but I will say that throwing around profanities on this board doesn't help your argument much. We are a pretty clever and intelligent group and the fact that you're making stupid remarks is hurting your arguement. By all means, bash him all you want, but be a little more clever...please! Dick...Billiken B!tch? My little sister could come up better comebacks.

I'm 6'4" and can't dunk. Hell I can't shoot a three pointer and I certainly can't play soccer well either. I'd like to see if you or some of the Billiken soccer team could keep up with me on a twenty six mile run but that is a completely different story.

I'll concede the Slu soccer team can play soccer better than I ever dreamed I could play and better than the basketball team can. This shouldn't be a surprise. However, the basketball players are just as fit and hopefully stronger in the upper body than soccer players. Given that the upper body is more important to basketball I'd hope you'd agree with me there.

Can the soccer team run back and forth on an open field and kick a soccerball with speed and precision? Yes. Better than I and the basketball team could? Oh Yeah!

It is incomprehensible that you cannot accept the the opposite is true. The basketball team can move quicker, more explosively, jump higher, and shoot a ball better. It is goofy to have to make this comparison for you.

All are good athletes (unless there are any Dieners left on either team.)

PS: If there was a rumble the Basketball team would win (unless the soccer team ran for it or knew how to kick box). Upper body versus lower body.

Rich you would have enjoyed the premire of Listen Up last night on CBS. It is a take off on a very funny sportswriter for the Wash. Post, Tony Kornheiser who also hosts PTI every day on ESPN at 4:30 with another W.P. writer. The Listen Up episode included a segment where the two sportswriters argued about soccer. The Kornheiser character said something like he "watched a World Cup game until one team took an insurmountable lead------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 1-0.

If some on this board are not familiar with PTI, I highly recommend it-also Listen Up (7:30 Monday night) looks like a winner ,espedially if you like Kornheiser's humor.

>Rich you would have enjoyed the premire of Listen Up last

>night on CBS. It is a take off on a very funny sportswriter

>for the Wash. Post, Tony Kornheiser who also hosts PTI every

>day on ESPN at 4:30 with another W.P. writer. The Listen Up

>episode included a segment where the two sportswriters

>argued about soccer. The Kornheiser character said

>something like he "watched a World Cup game until one team

>took an insurmountable

>lead------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> 1-0.

>

>If some on this board are not familiar with PTI, I highly

>recommend it-also Listen Up (7:30 Monday night) looks like a

>winner ,espedially if you like Kornheiser's humor.

For the lower IQ I'm glad they have sports that have scores you can enjoy. Otherwise you would be resigned to sitting on your couch and drooling all over yourself.

GS

Bauman,

PTI is decent. I have heard that TK's tv show is really really awful. I am skeptical about two past sitcom guys who have been typecast and not been able to breakaway from their first success. But I will give it fair viewing. I suggest you go to ESPN.com, page 2, and there is an interview with Alexander and Jamal-Warner, and neither has ever played or watched or attended a sporting event in their life. But like I said, I will give it a try sometime.

TK's radio program was 1000 times better than PTI. Hopefully it will resurface as it is rumored to be, non-affiliated with ESPN sometime soon. I am a long time reader/listenr of TK. I think he has been a bit overexposed recently and is going for all he can, as he should. I miss the days when he had a cult following to his radio show. His listeners were the best. He took ZERO calls, and never talked to a pro athlete. Only some of the show was sports, and when you needed good knowledge on a subject, he got the "in" guys in that town, like Miklasz, or Bill Clement in hockey, etc....and it was much better radio. He did read e-mails that were pretty darn funny. The show was all about being clever, smart, and funny as priority number one. TK is forced to do only sports on PTI and therefore by default isn't as good, but PTI is a solid program. It would be perfect for Rich, because topics are usually on a clock and 1 minute in length with a running clock.

Look for the resurface of his radio program...and you will get your chuckles.

>This has degenerated to the point it is no longer fun. As

>that is the case, I'm done with you for now. Should you

>ever grow a pair and want to discuss the matter in person,

>I'd be delighted. I'm sure we'd agree more than disagree

>about everything other than soccer. Good day to you.

Tell somebody who cares and I have bigger balls than you could ever dream of Dick.

And sadly you are probably right on what we would agree on.

Have a nice day.

GS