• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>Don't be mean to Roy. No one has time to match him post for

>post. Given your tone and temperment I peg your age at

>about 15 or 16. I assume you have to go to school or

>vo-tech or work release or something. As soon as you do Roy

>will have you!

Well shut your mouth regarding soccer and I'll leave Roy alone.

And how wrong you are again Dick. Please don't compare the highly educated to yourself. Just because you went to some vo-tech or work release program doesn't mean everybody did. I know it's hard but just try Dick.

GS

GoSLU, why such defense of soccer? You're coming across pretty insecure. I don't think anybody's arguing the talent, skill, and athleticism of soccer. If they are, I missed the post. I take Rich's posts as just thinking it's a highly boring sport. He's entitled to think that. I'm sure he's not alone. In fact, most soccer fans think soccer is so popular and around the worls it is, but I bet here in the US, collegiate and professional soccer has more non-fans than fans.

Actually, I repsect your passion for your sport, but you did touch upon something that has always bothered me about soccer that I couldn't pinpoint earlier. It seems that soccer players / fans always feel like they haev something to prove. Why is that? Also, it's the toughness thing that always gets me. I guess you have to define toughness. Mental toughness? Sure. Physical toughness? In terms of endurance, sure. But, it seems like many soccer fans feel soccer players are the hardest, baddest dudes around. If that is the case, in comparison to what? Just curious.

i just think that if you want to slam people with the kind of posts you have been putting up, you ought to have the guts to honestly tell us who you are. it doesnt take much to anonomously post your trash. you dont see billiken rich hiding his real identity. he has even in the past told us his profession and where he works. for all we know about you, you are either andy kauffman or elvis.

actually, i used to believe that elvis was still alive, however, after his daughter married michael jackson and elvis never appeared to straighten that out, that pretty much told me elvis indeed was dead.

I am a huge SLU soccer fan. I've been a season ticket holder forever.

However, I understand why so many people are turned off by it.

1) Players behave like *******. Sorry but its true. How many times have you seen a truly skilled player go down like he was shot in the box trying to draw a penalty kick instead of busting his ASS trying to score? Its utterly pathetic.

2) Players behave like ******* (2). How many times have you seen a player writhing on the ground until his opponent gets a card? Then suddenly, he is all better.

3) Players whine to the refs about everything, nonstop.

4) Keepers screaming at their own defense after a goal. I think they are aware that there was a breakdown.

4) Ties. Come on, play till someone wins! The SLU women last year lost a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament on penalty kicks. THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. Can you imagine deciding the CUSA Tournament with a game of horse if it was tied at the end of regulation.

Soccer will never catch on in the US because of these and other factors. Just because Euros admire pussified behavior doesnt mean that we have to.

I am probably one of the biggest soccer fans you will find ... and I agree with almost all of your points.

Did you see the SMU game ... unless I am watching the Mexican National Team play I can't remember a team as a whole that layed down in pain and delayed the game as much as they did ... and the refs just let it go. 20 years ago isn't wasn't like it is now. But if you hate that ... doesn't it bother you in basketball ... you get alot of the same thing.

20 years ago I officiated alot of soccer and you didn't get the whining you do now ... about 5 years ago I was going to get back into it ... that was a big turn off for me ... as a ref ... I wouldn't put up with it. But that is the refs fault ... don't put up with it.

As far as players going down in the box ... I think that happens ... but it is not a normal occurance ...

Also ... I rarely see keepers screaming at their defense after a goal, it happens ... but I think most have a good relationship with their defense, in fact I think it is vital. A keeper has to let his defense know what he saw after any sort of breakdown, and yes it probably occasionally gets intense.

Ties ... I agree with you ... I hate them, play until someone wins. Fitness will become a greater factor in the game.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman