For everyone on this board....

courtside

Read Skip's "soccer update post."

All I can add, is that I know there are some non-soccer people out there who have said they appreciate other sports if they are played at a high level, and would attend.

I can honestly say if there are undergrads reading this that don't attend the games and are on-campus...what else are you going to do on a fri night or Sat night? You hit happy hour, stop over to the game and then go to your parties and bars which don't start until after ten anyway.

Last weekend's home games against top national competition were highly entertaining and attractive to even a non-fan. People there even told me so.

$6 gets you in, ...adult non-student.

SLU gets top notch talent, has a great coach and assistant, and plays a very high level of entertaining, winning soccer. There are plenty of games on the schedule to have a chance to stop into one.

Even if soccer is not your thing, I guarantee that you will leave saying you had a good time, got your money's worth etc...and made a good decision.

And if you have kids...it is like having a zillion babysitters as you can sit back and relax while they run around on the green space lawn.

That's it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>Only one problem. THERES A SOCCER GAME GOING ON! Other

>than that, it sounds like a perfect evening!

I knew someone would have some smart azz comment to make.

Billiken B*tch SHUT YOUR MOUTH YOU JERK! Courtside and all the rest of us that follow Billiken basketball AND soccer have every right to post here regarding those topics. NOWHERE does it say this is a basketball only site. I thoroughly enjoy the soccer posts and the insight I gain from the members of this board who are actually quite knowledgable. In addition, I don't appreciate your disrepect of the greatest game in the world.

GS

I think B-Rich has stayed away from the soccer posts for the most part. This was a kind of begging for fans post which didn't include soccer in the title so I see as fair game. No one has bothered your soccer discussions and I hope they continue. Someday I might even read what is being said about soccer.

Just wanted to second courtside's sentiments. The soccer caliber we have at the school is just unreal. Imagine having two McDonald's All-American's on the basketball team and you can understand the type of talent we have on the soccer team. At some level, whether you like soccer or not, you have to love seeing damn-good athletes at your school do their thing. And its only for 90 minutes...no timeouts...in and out...you're done by 9pm. Plenty of time to hit Humphreys, Lacledes, Vitos (if you didn't before the game and at halftime), or east side if that's your taste. IF anyone on this board has not been to a SLU soccer game, I would recommend hitting Hermann Field on Oct 31. Indiana is coming to town and it will be a hell of a game.

>Stop breaking the prozacs in half dude. You need more help.

>As a member included in the list "everyone on this board" I

>felt the need to comment. If you don't like it, tough. I'd

>hate to see your reaction when something serious doesn't go

>your way.......

The need to comment and the need to make snide remarks are two concepts you apparantly don't understand. A simple remark to the effect that you dislike soccer would have been sufficient. But to state your response in the manner you did was completely disrespectful and ignorant and will not be taken idly.

Man, I post very infrequently but you really bug me with your idiotic comments about soccer. We have a great team, it is fine that some people are big fans and you do not need to spew your ******** every time someone wants to make a nice comment about the team. Just ignore the posts like I try to do with yours!

The post was purposely intended for "everyone." "Everyone" doesn't necessarily mean just humans, so Dick is included. I actually enjoyed Dick's post on wishing the Hoops team had those caliber of athletes. I agree. Nice job!

"Everyone" was meant for undergrads, grad students, professional students, teachers, university employees, everyone on this board, everyone close to the midtown area, everyone familiar or unfamiliar with soccer, anyone with kids, anyone who likes very high level athletics, everyone who wants to see a winner.

I know the soccer people will read it. The weather, the facility, the proximity to good food and beverages, the swiftness of the game in both flow and time, the close proximity of fans to the field...I really am not sure what else a SLU undergrad would do for those two hours in between happy hour and bars/parties. Any undergrads could enlighten me. That would be interesting.

The post was for everyone, and I am convinced many more people read it, than if it had soccer in the title, so I accomplished my goal. I think I will go have a cocktail.

I will save my break down of the annual CBC soccer tourney(yes I attended and saw all the teams in action) for another time in a soccer post.

Oh come on everyone ... If you haven't learned to take Rich's remarks as the good natured sarcasm that they are ... relax. Give him a little hell back ... he can take it. Just don't take it too seriously.

I think Rich is actually a closet soccer junkie who is very selfish and wants the game all to himself ... so he tries to push everyone else away.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

It's amusing that some of you soccer lovers are so defensive. Just because the sport you cherish is an unbelievably boring yawnfest to most Americans, doesn't mean it isn't something that should make you happy. "Will not be taken idly" ???? What are you going to do get the team to come over and rough me up? Please. If you want to start a flaming war, you'll lose. I usually don't snipe at soccer thread anymore because it no longer interests me. This one was offered out for everybody and so was fair game I think. Maybe one and a half prozacs......

This is my first anti-soccer thread this year. It'll probably be my last (unless invited.) Why be so quick to call names and attack? I don't do so unless attacked first.

By the way: If soccer is such a great sport and France and Germany and the rest of world enjoy it so much, why does it need your defense? We Americans must just be mad for not seeing the light......

Rich, plain truth about soccer fans is this: most if not all of us like other sports. I don't disparage the game of football, basketball, baseball, golf, hockey, etc., whenever I hear about them. I have dislikes about the flow of the game and too many timeouts but nothing against the sports themselves. On the other hand, it never fails for a baseball fan, football fan, basketball fan, hockey fan to have some comment disparaging soccer usually revolving around the "Soccer is for pu$$ies" theme. Never understood it. That's it. That's why soccer fans get defensive. Just gets old to hear the same old crap.

>I believe the success of an on campus soccer field has given

>the admin greater cause for going after an on campus

>basketball arena. Just conider that SLU soccer has led the

>nation in attendance for the last several years.

>BillikenRich, don't bite the mouth that feeds you.

...it's men's basketball -- not men's soccer -- that pays the SLU athletic department bills, so it's not "biting the hand that feeds you" to disparage soccer.

Again, I don't care for the sport of soccer, but I hope the Bills reach the NCAA semifinals this year. It will be good for SLU. Just don't look for me at a game (actually, the only place to look for me is at a basketball game, as I'm not interested enough in other sports to attend the games, though I do listen to the broadcasts of the Cardinals, the Rams, and the Tigers' football team).

>Rich, plain truth about soccer fans is this: most if not

>all of us like other sports. I don't disparage the game of

>football, basketball, baseball, golf, hockey, etc., whenever

>I hear about them. I have dislikes about the flow of the

>game and too many timeouts but nothing against the sports

>themselves. On the other hand, it never fails for a

>baseball fan, football fan, basketball fan, hockey fan to

>have some comment disparaging soccer usually revolving

>around the "Soccer is for pu$$ies" theme. Never understood

>it. That's it. That's why soccer fans get defensive.

>Just gets old to hear the same old crap.

I hate to tell you this but people who like soccer generally don't disparage other sports because other sports aren't quite as dull. Soccer isn't a game for ******* by the way. It's for those who have a long enough attention span to enjoy the sight of all those tiny little brush strokes as they slowly fill in as the liquid evaporates from paint.

>>Rich, plain truth about soccer fans is this: most if not

>>all of us like other sports. I don't disparage the game of

>>football, basketball, baseball, golf, hockey, etc., whenever

>>I hear about them. I have dislikes about the flow of the

>>game and too many timeouts but nothing against the sports

>>themselves. On the other hand, it never fails for a

>>baseball fan, football fan, basketball fan, hockey fan to

>>have some comment disparaging soccer usually revolving

>>around the "Soccer is for pu$$ies" theme. Never understood

>>it. That's it. That's why soccer fans get defensive.

>>Just gets old to hear the same old crap.

>

>I hate to tell you this but people who like soccer generally

>don't disparage other sports because other sports aren't

>quite as dull. Soccer isn't a game for ******* by the way.

>It's for those who have a long enough attention span to

>enjoy the sight of all those tiny little brush strokes as

>they slowly fill in as the liquid evaporates from paint.

I hate to tell you but you continue to show your ignorance Billiken B*tch...basketball players couldn't last one freaking half on the field with soccer ATHLETES. And I guarantee you couldn't last 10 mins! And just because your unable to understand and comprehend the game doesn't reflect on the game itself but on your IQ.

You are getting into a dangerous area by saying soccer players are better athletes than basketball players. While soccer players are better at some things, such as endurance for one, basketball players are clearly better leapers and I would argue do more starting and stopping then soccer players.

As somebody that played both soccer and basketball in highschool I can say that even after a full season of soccer leading directly into the basketball season, I always felt out of basketball shape when practice began. That is because I used a different set of muscles and did different types of running on my lungs.

My point is not to say basketball players are more athletic than soccer players or vice versa but for you to say that because basketball players couldn’t hang with soccer players on a soccer field doesn’t make sense as I’m sure if the SLU soccer team went out and ran a few scrimmages at West Pine and banged the boards with the rest of the guys they’d look like pretty poor athletes.

By your definition I’d have to say waterpolo players are the best athletes in the world off the top of my head.

A lot of uptight posters as I have said many times before. First of all, let's not forget we are all Billiken supporters. Billiken Rich has always made fun of soccer, that should be no surprise. I find his comments most enjoyable. I don't think his intentions are bad. Let's lighten up a bit. I agree that Rich has totally left soccer threads alone for the most part.

I have some issues with soccer as well, but that's my feelings. Soccer is fine in many ways. In fact, I hope all my daughters play it. (Okay, that was a joke. I don't have daughters or kids, but one on the way!)

In fact, I may attend a soccer game this year and I may even share with you soccer fans my issues with soccer at the game and let you rebuttal them.

We talk about people's lack of IQ and being crazy, and then I read a comment about the basketball players not being to hang with the soccer players. Give me a break! Why even go there? Soccer players are in great shape and extremely talented, but rethink that comment. First of all, how can you argue athletes and what sport has the best. What is the best? Speed? Strength? Endurance? Skill? Agility? Sure soccer players have great endurance. Yeah and? The worldest best marathoners do too. They have endurance and speed, but can you call them the best athletes? I think their overall lack of body strength in regards to a lot of other things, may eliminate them. I could make an argument that some of the best athletes are NFL running backs (at least some) or NFL linebackers. They have the combination of jumping ability, speed, strength, toughness, etc. Boxers may argue with me though. NBA guards may have a argument. How about decathaletes? Full contact fighters could make an argument. Lance Armstrong may win it. I don't think you can look at the sport or the position in the sport. I think you have to look at the individual. I would bet though that a pro soccer player isn't up there. But, so what. They have the athletics, the skill, and the endurance that most of us don't.

corey, it is my belief that at best, soccer might be close to a breakeven sport. sorry, but men's basketball pays the bills and garners the most fund raising dollars.