Shot clock

gobillsgo

2 minutes ago, BJK said:

It caused Thatch to throw up a garbage shot when he thought he had to. He was open down there but they found him too late and he drove instead of passing. It changed the game.

I agree that Thatch’s missed shot was the back breaker. Looked like he was trying to draw a foul. Not sure if lack of a shot clock  came into play.

In my head we had nine seconds left. We passed the ball well and often on that possession and I think he assumed it was close and had to put one up. A kick out for an open shot was the way to go. He’s a freshman though and from what I’ve seen thus far will learn from that mistake. Looking forward to his career.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Honestly I was thinking the shot clock delay was gonna help us when it iced the shooter. Houston sucks that they couldn't fix it but it had no impact on the game. 

This.  The only legitimate complaint about the shot clock situation would have been from Houston if their shooter missed the free throws.

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This.  The only legitimate complaint about the shot clock situation would have been from Houston if their shooter missed the free throws.

Well, I mean it has gone off in the past, it seems like the situation will always exist for each game they play. Unless, they have superior luck, from judging my post on their forum, "$10 Parking" , "I would gladly chip in, if the money went to fixing the shot clock. hehe." It got 4 likes, which means it's a pretty bad problem, for them. They had more experience with it since it happens to them a lot on their court.

Does anyone really think we would have done anything other than that f’ing weave for 25 seconds then rushed to find a shot before the clock expired?  That is what we have done everytime when we are tied or slightly ahead closing out either half all season.

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Does anyone really think we would have done anything other than that f’ing weave for 25 seconds then rushed to find a shot before the clock expired?  That is what we have done everytime when we are tied or slightly ahead closing out either half all season.

Thank you.

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I was hoping they would do what they had done all game, get the ball into Gordon and when they doubled him, he kicks it out to an open man for a shot, but of course that didn't happen.

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It wasn't about the play as a whole. When Thatch got the ball in the post he probably had about 6 or 7 seconds left. He doesn't know how much time he has with no shot clock. So he lowers his shoulder and tries to get a shot off thinking's its about to expire. If he knows he has some time he can kick it out. It was unfortunate and I do think it affected the game. 

BJK likes this

7 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

It wasn't about the play as a whole. When Thatch got the ball in the post he probably had about 6 or 7 seconds left. He doesn't know how much time he has with no shot clock. So he lowers his shoulder and tries to get a shot off thinking's its about to expire. If he knows he has some time he can kick it out. It was unfortunate and I do think it affected the game. 

Exactly. You can’t play high level basketball without a working shot clock. You just can’t. Then the fact that it started working when they had the ball is such a load of f****** b*******. 

Now do I really think it was intentional tampering with the shot clock?  Of course not. That was a joke, and I guess I should’ve used blue font. But as others have said, it sounds like this has happened before. Totally unacceptable for there to be no backup plan. Totally unacceptable for the refs to allow the game to continue before it is fixed. And utterly ridiculous and dumbfounding for them to TURN IT BACK ON when Houston had the ball going for the lead. If you decide to play without the shot clock you HAVE to play without it for the rest of the game. It has to be an equal playing field and them having a shot clock when we didn’t is bulls***.  I don’t care that Davis came down and scored the three in ten seconds.  If you think that the shot clock wasn’t the biggest thing in the heads of our players when we were trying to run offense, you’ve never played, coached, watched, reffed, sold concessions at, cleaned the toilets, or played in the f****** band at an actual basketball game.

thetorch and dlarry like this

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

Exactly. You can’t play high level basketball without a working shot clock. You just can’t. Then the fact that it started working when they had the ball is such a load of f****** b*******. 

Now do I really think it was intentional tampering with the shot clock?  Of course not. That was a joke, and I guess I should’ve used blue font. But as others have said, it sounds like this has happened before. Totally unacceptable for there to be no backup plan. Totally unacceptable for the refs to allow the game to continue before it is fixed. And utterly ridiculous and dumbfounding for them to TURN IT BACK ON when Houston had the ball going for the lead. If you decide to play without the shot clock you HAVE to play without it for the rest of the game. It has to be an equal playing field and them having a shot clock when we didn’t is bulls***.  I don’t care that Davis came down and scored the three in ten seconds.  If you think that the shot clock wasn’t the biggest thing in the heads of our players when we were trying to run offense, you’ve never played, coached, watched, reffed, sold concessions at, cleaned the toilets, or played in the f****** band at an actual basketball game.

Great post. Exactly how I felt.