2018-19 Season

ACE

So tired of the F-ing S2 Situation thread. Glad there is finally some level of closure and we can start looking ahead at what the roster might look like next year...

With this outcome, I think Ford will be in pretty good position to rally the troops and get the current players fired up to return next year for a run at the NCAA Tourney.

4s & 5s: French, Foreman, Gordon, Santos, *possibly Welmer, (Johnson & Pearson could see some minutes as stretch 4s)   - This group figures to be a lot better than any other group of bigs in the A-10. Should dominate.

3: Bess, Johnson & Pearson.  - Strong group. Maybe Bess can improve his 3-shot and see some time at the 2.

1 & 2: Goodwin & Thatch  - Goodwin should be poised to be an all-conference player. His outside shooting and free throw shooting showed steady improvement, which is encouraging. I expect Thatch to be a lesser version of Goodwin - a player who can help in a lot of different areas, but not a great outside shooter. I think he could be a nice player in a 4-guard rotation, but not a starter yet.

Possible Newcomers - Assuming all of the above regarding the roster is true, the recruiting needs are clear with at least three open scholarships. 1) A starting shooting guard   2) A combo guard who can shoot - Bishop would have filled this niche well   3) Pure point guard, somebody who can handle the ball and maybe free Goodwin up to play off the ball sometimes  4) * I liked Welmer last year, but because of our front court depth, we'd be fine if he left to open up another scholarship. With it, I try to get the best 3-point shooter I can find.

Conclusion - If we have four scholarships to give (with Welmer being the 4th), I would give them all to guards. If we hit on just two of the four, we'll be in very good shape. Ford should be able to sell a good shooting guard on a starting job. I expect us to be very active in the grad transfer market this spring.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Just more information.  On the SLU People Finder, Javon Bess is listed as a Senior.  A Dwayne Foreman (assume that is DJ?) is listed as a Junior.  Seniors obviously have a GT option.

Note that credit hours aren't the only thing required for graduation, they have to be allocated appropriately within your major/general requirements, so they may not tell the whole story

5 minutes ago, almaman said:

But Bess is here next year still I assume?

Heres the thing with Bess.  He was(via stalking) very close to the 3 players who are no longer with us, and Roby.  And I know how the school has treated these players the last few months, but I'm not sure leaving is the best thing for him.  The teams going to be prettttty darn good next year, and he doesn't have "much" competition at his spot.  I'd be shocked if he left. 

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Just more information.  On the SLU People Finder, Javon Bess is listed as a Senior.  A Dwayne Foreman (assume that is DJ?) is listed as a Junior.  Seniors obviously have a GT option.

They also can go to grad school at the same school - many have done that.  This is only his 3 season of play out of 4 years so he has one more year left.

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Heres the thing with Bess.  He was(via stalking) very close to the 3 players who are no longer with us, and Roby.  And I know how the school has treated these players the last few months, but I'm not sure leaving is the best thing for him.  The teams going to be prettttty darn good next year, and he doesn't have "much" competition at his spot.  I'd be shocked if he left. 

My initial impression of most grad transfers is that these are guys who have been around a program for some time and aren't starters (and won't likely be starters in their final year).  Bess doesn't fit that mold.  Also, I doubt Bess has the desire to go to a 3rd school and try to pick up a new system.  I'd be shocked if Bess went the GT route. 

3 minutes ago, slubillikens43 said:

I thought the Grad Transfer rule was that you're only allowed to transfer if the other school has the program that the current school doesn't offer. Maybe im wrong on that.

true, but its not too hard to find a school that doesnt carry that program. 

Scattered throughout a couple of threads are thoughts on next year's team.  Frankly, I am worn out trying to stay up with the 330+ thread on S2, so I thought I'd start a looking forward topic.  One last S2 comment-due to the massive screwup by the SLU leadership in that investigation I will continue to pledge $00 to all fundraising appeals until Pestello and his merry band of Title IX staff are gone.  Now looking to the future:

If we, at best, add one decent combo guard we will be so much better than this year.  Why?  We lose the multiple turnovers/ill conceived  shots put up by Hines every game.  Just looking at his turnover number doesn't give the complete picture.  You have to include his ridiculous drives into the paint as turnovers to get the full AH picture.  Roby has provided decent minutes and some good 3-pt shooting, but not much lately.  Also you can count on one charging foul in the paint per game from DR.  On the positive side I think he was a good leader and  defender.  The 3rd Senior was Anthony and he provided a few decent minutes in a number of games but really did not have a significant impact on the season.  That's what we lose.  In their place we get CAG, FT and Pearson - would anyone on this board not make that trade?  Immediately we are a much, much improved team.

I think we can count on 4-5 additional points per game just from one thing---improved free throw shooting from French and Foreman.  They just have to improve on that item before next season. Ford was a very good FT shooter, as I recall, so hopefully he is able to get some positive results from working with the "F" boys on their FTs.  If not, there are some good shooting coaches, including one in St Louis, who should be used to help.  On the subject of shooting, I used to spend a couple of hours per week at team practices dating back to the Grawer days.  I have one strong memory of Charlie S coaching all his players to use the backboard on close in shots when on an angle to the hoop.  (Just check with Highmark on that) (Same with Grawer coaching Bonner)  Watching French, he is very inconsistent on using the board for some reason, even though he  makes a much better % when using the backboard.  I'm surprised SH has not mentioned that on any of the Fox broadcasts.

We will have a better Foreman to start the season.

We will have a confident Bess, who has improved greatly throughout the year. I was not that high on him as a stat sheet stuffer before the season began, but I love watching him and I expect him to be the team leader next year.  He just seems to do everything right.

We will be adding Santos, who I think will be a real positive factor, from everything I have heard about him in practice.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, Goodwin will start the next year as the player he has become, not the player he was at the start of the year-big difference. 

Welcome aboard Gordon, Thatch and Pearson (and an unnamed Guard or two).  I think it's going to be fun.

6 hours ago, wgstl said:

two deep:

Goodwin- PG

Thatch- Goodwin

Bess- Johnson

Gordon- Foreman

French - santos 

I think Ford hits a true pg soon

Good list, but you forgot Pearson, who seems like a 2/3.  A "2" coupled with a good PG or a 3 otherwise.  In spite of being 6'8" probably not a 4 due to his slight built and the existence of four other players who can man the 4 spot.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Good list, but you forgot Pearson, who seems like a 2/3.  A "2" coupled with a good PG or a 3 otherwise.  In spite of being 6'8" probably not a 4 due to his slight built and the existence of four other players who can man the 4 spot.

With a small lineup, he could be a stretch four if the Boys in Blue needed some shooting.  I don't think his handles are good enough for the 2 spot yet and I don't think he could guard a highly athletic 2 guard early on.