Javon Bess

GOSLU68

Has his shot back and played his best first half of season. This young man should just do it. That earlier phase where he was too careful- we don’t need to see that anymore. 

Javon  played like Davel Roby the three previous games- like a senior putting it all on the floor- like Travis Ford in his day.

4 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

Has his shot back and played his best first half of season. This young man should just do it. That earlier phase where he was too careful- we don’t need to see that anymore. 

Javon  played like Davel Roby the three previous games- like a senior putting it all on the floor- like Travis Ford in his day.

Classic take. He looked like a man possessed last night. We needed Bess mode and he came through with one of the best efforts of the season. 

Bess was fun to watch creating space to hit mid range jumpers.

Most of the games this season Bess has been what Coach Ford said he would be, a stat stuffer type of player.

JJ did a good impression of Cody Ellis coming off the bench to hit 3's.

A good day to be a Billikens fan.

almaman likes this

Bess has greatly improved his free throw percentage over his pre-Billiken years and appears to be extending his range to the 3 point line.  He has obviously been working hard on his shooting.  Unless s2 changes a lot on appeal he may be the best 2 guard option we have.  He does however lead the team in turnovers.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Does anyone else see Bess as our best all around player?  He can shoot the 3, create his own shot, make assists, push the ball, defend, and just looks like a man amongst boys out there at times.  Ford needs to get another Bess to transfer here.

Agreed he may be our best all around player with JG off the court. He “can” shoot the 3, but I wouldnt say he SHOULD shoot the 3.

10 hours ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Does anyone else see Bess as our best all around player?  He can shoot the 3, create his own shot, make assists, push the ball, defend, and just looks like a man amongst boys out there at times.  Ford needs to get another Bess to transfer here.

I really like Bess, I just hope we are not wearing him out.  He is the most dependable player on the team with regard to his whole game.  Others are better at one or two things, but none are as complete of a player as JB.

With regard to getting another JB type as a transfer, that player would not be eligible next year so when player X became eligible, here would be our roster;

J Johnson L Santos, H French, J Goodwin, Pearson, Gordon, Thatch and one or two Guards still to be added to this year's recruiting class (I hope). That leaves 4 or 5 spots to be filled by 2019 recruits.  I say 4 OR 5 because if one of the still to be added Guards for this current recruiting class is a grad transfer then they would be gone leaving 5 spots to fill.  Given the above, I agree with you that adding a "JB type" as a transfer who would sit out next year makes sense.  Also, in looking at names above, I don't see a 6'5"-6'6" multi-skilled player, like Bess.  What is clear is that TF and staff have some recruiting to do in building a roster, not only for next year (2018-19), but also for the year after (2019-20). 

Finally, looking at the 7 named players, above, with the addition of at least one combo Guard (and hopefully 2), we will have an A-10 championship caliber team the next two years, and hopefully beyond.

2018-19 team by Class:

Sen:  JB, DF              Jun:  JJ, LS               SO:  HF, JG,              FR:   CAG, MP, FT                 UNK:        1 or 2 Guards.

Lots of holes to fill but a great base to start with.

Edited by bauman
typo