Start of year starting lineup speculation

bauman

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm sure you don't care, but I've only known that you were a poster for a few minutes now, and I have zero respect for the fact that you don't seem to know how to have a conversation without obnoxious insults.  This is in no way a comment about any argument you have attempted to make above.  Simply a comment on the way you have conducted yourself while trying to make your points.

Please proceed now with hitting me with all sorts of childish insults.  I'm ready.

That was a real classy post....sure glad you avoided insults

20 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Wow, this thread turned wild and wooly in a hurry.  Goodwin is going to start.  The question is whether he does it as a point forward from the very beginning or as a point guard.  I suspect it will be the former.  Otherwise 1) Henriquez will be the only shooter on the floor and 2) defenses will exploit our lack of ballhandling.

A lot of conjecture in this thread, but I suggest everybody take a listen to what Ford has actually said about the point guard position...  Go to about the 15:45 mark

http://insidestl.com/slus-travis-ford-talks-mizzous-cuonzo-martin-hiring-programs-future-talent/1993346

"I think Jermaine Bishop's best basketball is ahead of him.  I think he's someone who will really take off because I'm going to be able to put him in a better position to score.  This year we just put to much pressure on him to be the point guard, score it, pass it, we wanted him to do every single thing.  We're going to be able to get him off the ball a bit as well as handle it.  I think he's going to be a big-time scorer for us."

That was from the 5 month interview ACE posted.  And again today when Coach Ford is talking about guys by name, he mentions Bishop.  This doesn't sound like someone Coach believes will be the 8th guy in the rotation. This sounds like Coach considers Bishop an integral part of this offense, someone who will share ballhandling responsibilities with Goodwin and someone who will get easier shots because of the talent he's surrounded by.  

Now if Goodwin, AD and Bess are going to spend a ton of time on the floor, then Bishop is going to spend a lot of time at the point.   He can't be a "big-time scorer for this team" averaging 10 minutes a game backing up the point.  That's just math.

Let's try and fixate for a while on the players Ford does not say much about. These include Welmer, Anthony, and Hines. Surprisingly to me not much is being said about French, Johnson, or Roby lately. Santos will not play until next year so it is no surprise you hear next to nothing about him either. So, we have about 7 players that are receiving less in terms of specific mentions by Ford than the others are. Since Ford is not going to play the year using only 6 players, some of the ones getting noticed less often will play significant minutes. Given my choice I would say they will be French, Johnson, and Roby (not in that order necessarily). From my point of view I see Hines, Welmer and Anthony getting very few minutes if any, although Welmer could be used in special occasions. This is  nothing but my very uninformed point of view based upon the frequency of mentions made by Ford of specific players. 

• 1 month later...