What do we think of the freshman thus far?

Billy Ken

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Do you remember Jordair at this stage of his career? He wasn't very good and he went on to be conference POY in a very good conference. ZM has a chance to be a good player, so give him the chance.

Jett showed a big upside - speed and strength   I think Zeke can be productive but he will have to work hard at it.  

16 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Do you remember Jordair at this stage of his career? He wasn't very good and he went on to be conference POY in a very good conference. ZM has a chance to be a good player, so give him the chance.

Jett came in with his physical ability already there. He developed a better shot that forced defenders to get to him, further opening up his ability to get to the basket.

Zeke has to start shooting at Blake Ahearn levels -- he has a similar game to Blake. He did it in high school, he's not doing it now. He is fully capable of scoring 20, but how often?

Will his shot get better when the team's ability to draw defenders, pick, move the ball and allow Zeke more space and better shot selection? Those are all questions, they could have good results or not. Zeke is a complete question mark right now. I think TF could do better, but if Zeke does develop as he needs to and brings that elite-level shooting, obviously he will be enormously effective.

Comparisons between Jett and Zeke is just crazy revisionist stuff -- short memories around here. Majerus' early teams were pretty damn decent, even his first year we went 16-15.. a winning record. That team was at the time considered god-awful. Gained the lowest point total in the shot clock era record.

No rush to drive Zeke out. The roster already projects to be very strong next year and based on lack of playing time for the two bigs at the end of the bench, a very good chance one or two more scholarships could open up this spring. A potential catch and shoot guy like Zeke could still fill a niche on this team. If he doesn't have a role after his sophomore season, then he can evaluate whether or not he wants to stick around. If Johnson gets stronger and continues to develop, maybe there is not room for both, but it is always good to have competition for PT on the roster.

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

No rush to drive Zeke out. The roster already projects to be very strong next year and based on lack of playing time for the two bigs at the end of the bench, a very good chance one or two more scholarships could open up this spring. A potential catch and shoot guy like Zeke could still fill a niche on this team. If he doesn't have a role after his sophomore season, then he can evaluate whether or not he wants to stick around. If Johnson gets stronger and continues to develop, maybe there is not room for both, but it is always good to have competition for PT on the roster.

I guess if you put yourself is Zeke shoes its different to understand. Ford lost a lot of players when he was hired due to them understanding their future was going to be muddled or Ford ran them off. Zeke was not Ford's recruit, not performing well enough to start on a kenpom 300 team, and 7 Ford recruits are coming in next year that can replace him. He doesn't have pt now, he wont get it in the future and he knows it. Now the choice for him is to stay on and ride the bench on a winning team and stay on a winning program, or leave for the chance someone else takes him. Due to his poor performance this year and recent injury he will be a hard sell unless a team is in dire need. He might end up choosing to ride the bench

42 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Comparisons between Jett and Zeke is just crazy revisionist stuff -- short memories around here. Majerus' early teams were pretty damn decent, even his first year we went 16-15.. a winning record. That team was at the time considered god-awful. Gained the lowest point total in the shot clock era record.

The 20 point team also averaged 60 points a game, which is right where we're at right now. We just give up a full 10 points more a game than that team did.

2 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

The 20 point team also averaged 60 points a game, which is right where we're at right now. We just give up a full 10 points more a game than that team did.

that team was much, much better. more athletic. better defenders.

to play good defense a player has to be quick and strong.. just playing hard is not enough..

2 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I guess if you put yourself is Zeke shoes its different to understand. Ford lost a lot of players when he was hired due to them understanding their future was going to be muddled or Ford ran them off. Zeke was not Ford's recruit, not performing well enough to start on a kenpom 300 team, and 7 Ford recruits are coming in next year that can replace him. He doesn't have pt now, he wont get it in the future and he knows it. Now the choice for him is to stay on and ride the bench on a winning team and stay on a winning program, or leave for the chance someone else takes him. Due to his poor performance this year and recent injury he will be a hard sell unless a team is in dire need. He might end up choosing to ride the bench

The only guys who would be truly pushed out with no possibility of future d1 play are gillman and neufeld.

Some OVC team might want ZM.

he isnt really a catch and shoot.. right now he is catch, stand for three seconds, then shoot. his release is a lot slower than i thought it would be. Plays have to be run intended for him.. Welmer has a better looking shot and quicker release.

3 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Zeke was not Ford's recruit, not performing well enough to start on a kenpom 300 team, and 7 Ford recruits are coming in next year that can replace him. He doesn't have pt now, he wont get it in the future and he knows it.

As Coach Majerus said "starting is for high school".  Moore is averaging 21 minutes a game which is currently more than Johnson. 

When did you talk to Zeke?  Last time I talked to him he didn't know that he had no future at SLU.  Please update with your conversation.  Anxiously waiting your facts. 

Man, you and Sodie have a lot of one on ones with the players and staff.  I'm jealous.

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

that team was much, much better. more athletic. better defenders.

to play good defense a player has to be quick and strong.. just playing hard is not enough..

No argument from me. That team played a similar schedule and won half their games. I just thought the similarity on the offensive numbers and the big difference on defense was interesting.

I also think HoosierPal isn't giving you the credit you deserve for your optimism on Welmer, who is after all a tall, skinny kid from Indiana recruited by Crews.

Anthony Drejaj was one of the slowest guards I've ever seen in a Billiken uniform but he was also a good defender. Of course he was also a good defender in high school. It's possible to be a good defender if you learn to anticipate.

None of our players, save Roby, was known for their defense in high school. It should come as no surprise that poor defenders in high school often are poor defenders in college.

44 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Anthony Drejaj was one of the slowest guards I've ever seen in a Billiken uniform but he was also a good defender. Of course he was also a good defender in high school. It's possible to be a good defender if you learn to anticipate.

None of our players, save Roby, was known for their defense in high school. It should come as no surprise that poor defenders in high school often are poor defenders in college.

Agreed. Anticipation, positioning, footwork, angles, smarts are all just as important to being a good defender as quickness is.

4 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

No argument from me. That team played a similar schedule and won half their games. I just thought the similarity on the offensive numbers and the big difference on defense was interesting.

I also think HoosierPal isn't giving you the credit you deserve for your optimism on Welmer, who is after all a tall, skinny kid from Indiana recruited by Crews.

If he couldn't shoot he would be completely useless.

He can shoot, however. That changes everything.

HoosierTroll is desperate for any kind of silver lining to the Failed Crews/Platt Regime. He will grasp at any straw, no matter if its too narrow or broken, to justify the decisions and actions of Jim Crews.

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Drejaj had very slow feet but very, very good and quick hands.