When will enough be enough?

slu72

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/saint-louis/2010-schedule.html

Looking at the results and that roster make me want to cry.

We had Matt Dickey for that Georgia game. I still have no idea how we lost that one.

I believe Cody's first game was against Richmond. A full season with him would've helped quite a bit, as would having Kwamain available for the Missourah State fiasco.

I totally don't remember the CBI game against Green Bay going to double OT.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm repeating this question on here, because it is a serious question and I would really like some opinions on it:

I just find it hard to believe that the present regime would actually fire Crews and find a new hire. As much as people on here are calling for that -- does anyone really believe that will happen, 4 months from now, under present leadership?? Because I don't .... or at least, I find it rather hard to imagine that it can and will happen -- but maybe I'm the only one finding that implausible...

Are you still on the SLU faculty? Tell Dr. Pestello your feelings. I'm sure it won't hurt. Yeah, Crews makes a lot more than a professor, but the results should also be of a exponentially greater impact.

My point wasn't on the merits of the CBI itself, other than that it seemed in that first year like the CBI might be a much bigger thing than it turned out to be. I was just pointing out it only took Majerus three years to have a really good team (even considering the points made by others on what caused the delay).

I wouldn't be all that excited about a C+ team on the Wiz's scale that gets a CBI bid today. But that 2009 team was a hell of a lot better than mediocre.

I don't think you have Wiz's scale right. I'm pretty sure he doesn't assign C+'s to CBI teams. I believe it takes a B (maybe a few B-minus teams) to get any postseason.

We had Matt Dickey for that Georgia game. I still have no idea how we lost that one.

I believe Cody's first game was against Richmond. A full season with him would've helped quite a bit, as would having Kwamain available for the Missourah State fiasco.

I totally don't remember the CBI game against Green Bay going to double OT.

I think Justin Jordan (JJ 1.0) broke his thumb in that Green Bay game. It was a pretty ugly thing to see.

There is no way the University can let Crews coach out his contract after this season. If we don't give him an extension after this season, and there is no way we will, he won't be able to recruit. I know that everyone is going to say that he can't recruit anyway, and that would be the obligatory joke reaction, but, in all seriousness, a coach on a short term contract can't sell high school players on a program when it doesn't look like he will be around.

Pestello needs to do the math and realize the money that the University will be losing by continuing on this path. I'm guessing an argument can be made that paying Crews' buyout is less expensive than the cost of keeping the program the way it is. Also, Crews may do the honorable thing and realize that he was practically retired anyway and just retire again or give a big reduction on his buyout.

Then, we need to go out and get a top assistant. No coach on the rise is going to want to have an intermediary stop between a lower program and a BCS program. A top assistant may decide he would rather come here and have a shot at a quicker turnaround than go to low major school first and work his way up. We can sell the guy on our competitive salary, top notch facilities, and high level recruits in the St. Louis region.

The CBI was and is good for a young team to play together longer and get more experience. That works best if you have something to develop. I would argue that is the case for this team butI am afraid I'd have to call myself wrong on that account. I just don't see this team improving because if they could we mtght have seen some of that by now. Short fo Reynolds, I am hard pressed to see any noticeable improvement right now.