OT - Bonwich, your thoughts on this...

Just my opinions:

Carl's Drive-In has the best burger on town. Steak 'N Shake is a close second. Dooley's offers the best burger for those who like them a little thicker. The Fatted Calf is essentially the same as Dooley's.

Blueberry Hill and O'Connell's have the most overrated burgers on the planet. Thick does not equal good.

It's all in the quality control (how good a poll is, that is). First of all, there's no way in hell *any* restaurant could get a perfect 10 in a statistically valid poll -- and I went on that site and gave Hardee's some bad numbers, and they didn't update.

I used to compile the RFT poll, and in the old days, we were pretty meticulous about weeding out ballot-box stuffing. And if you read the recent Post restaurant polls, you'll see that we established several sets of rules that try to keep it as honest as possible, in part because we caught Harrah's telling its employees to vote for Harrah's a couple years ago. (We got especially suspicious when Harrah's was in first place for "best pizza.")

In the end, the only real way to do a valid restaurant poll is to have a polling agency take a random sample of area residents, perhaps normalizing it on something like "frequent diners." But I can't blame my dear employer for not springing for the thousands of dollars it would take to do it right.

By the way, I ran a piece earlier this year listing five of my faves for burgers. Nark's fine ethnic upbringing notwithstanding, I disagree with him about O'Connell's, at least as of a couple years ago, when I could still order them medium-rare.

FIVE GREAT DINING-OUT BURGERS

By Joe Bonwich

* Carl's Drive In, 9033 Manchester Road, 314-961-9652. Griddle burgers, smashed, browned and flipped before your eyes at this tiny diner. Wash them down with a mug of original-recipe IBC Root Beer.

* Dooley's Ltd., 308 North Eighth Street, 314-231-4200. Home of the 6-ounce "Famous Dooley Burger," built tall with lettuce and tomato and customizable by a selection of three cheeses and six other toppings.

* O'Connell's Pub, 4652 Shaw Avenue, 314-773-6600. The good, old-fashioned saloon just off Kingshighway serves a thick, 9-ounce burger that's always juicy and cooked to your specification.

* Red Robin, 17308 Chesterfield Airport Road, 636-733-0069; 130 Gravois Bluffs Circle, 636-305-9440; and 317 Mid Rivers Mall Drive, 636-279-6622. King of the "kitchen-sink" burgers (as in "everything but the"), with more than a dozen combinations ranging from the basics to toppings that include guacamole, salsa or a fried egg.

* White Castle, many locations. Who knew that "Slyder," which we thought was a bit pejorative, is actually a White Castle trademark? We've always preferred "belly bomber," but whatever you call them, the little holes and the onions make these a guilty pleasure we can't resist.

---

So what did you do this summer, B-Law? Did you go to summer school, or maybe did you get a summer job with a firm?

i personally love o'connell's as well. when nark made that comment i was hesitant to post, as i thought, "well you havent been there for a year or so, maybe they went downhill." but i just find it hard to believe they are now that bad.

i used to work downtown in the mid-80's and loved to go to dooleys. so it is good to hear they are still great.

i am as much of a white castle freak as anyone, so i am with joe on that one.

i have never had a "carl's burger". so i guess i need to get there and make that sample test.

as far as chain burgers, i also like fudruckers. i think that is a good burger and of course you get the chance to pile on as much and whatever fixin's you want.

I'd agree with your list, Mr. B., with the exception of White Castle. Never been a big fan of their burgers.

I grew up about a mile from the Village Bar, and it will always have a spot on my list of top burger joints. Sundecker's on the Landing also makes a good burger. Also, if you like the Village Bar, the French Quarter in Ellisville is comparable.

BTW, there is a Red Robin under construction in Des Peres on Manchester (just east of Topping) on the site of the former Colonial Bank.

Anyone in South County should get a burger at The Concord Grill. It's near Tesson Ferry and Lindbergh. Great thick burger with a huge selection of specialty toppings. Plus it's right across the street form Schottzie's which has some of the best pizza I've ever had.

I thought the origin of "slider" was at Steak & Shake where they put the hamburgers on a wooden slat and "slide it" to the next station for the next step. Then again, maybe it originated as to how the White Castle burger seems to "slide" through the system...

Funny story -- I not only went to Twister's, I had it in line for a review, until I got scooped by my own section (the bar reviewer did it). Pretty good inexpensive steak; burger somewhere in the high-average range; the so-called hottest of the chicken wings were pretty wimpy for a bar that has that name and owner. Also enjoyed the table tents advertising the DUI-special beer pitchers.

I am planning a visit to Seamus as it was an old Dogtown neighborhood haunt and I grew up and was friends with one of the owners. I am glad to see that some folks still think that they make a decent burger.

If you love Whitey's when in the South East (US not STL) check out Krystal's. Similiar to White Castle but they actually put the mustard on it for you and you can order it with ketchup and extra pickle like me. They also make good chili and you can get mini chili cheese pups (hotdogs). I've seen Krystal in KY, TN, AL, GA, and one in TX (near Ft. Hood).

In my 4 years here in the Tampa Bay area, I have made ONE visit to Krystal's. Let's put it this way...it ain't no White Castle in my books. Of course neither place would be on my current weight reduction program.

Quite coincidentally, A-Bomb (given your authorship of the recommendation), I stopped off at a Krystal near Fort Campbell on the way back from Florida this spring and fed the kids a travelling Sunday brunch in the van. It's similar, but it didn't offer one of our favorite White Castle sides (I don't remember if it was cheese fries or onion rings), and the burgers just didn't have the same onion-meal consistency.

I'd still prefer Krystal over the vast majority of the staple fast-food burger places, but not to my bellybombers.

It is whatever you grew up with. I love Krystals. Kind of like Boiled Peanuts if you didn't have them growing up you probably don't like them. Anyway the STL offers are wide variety and quality food selection. Whiteys, slingers, Ted Drews, toasted ravioli, Imo's, Cunetto's sandwiches etc. etc.

the term of endearment for Krystal's is gut grenades.

Put me in the camp with Box and One on the White Castle issue. I don't even think Bombers should be classified as "food." Only ate Sliders once--and only 3 or 4 at that--and about 6 hours later spent a long period leaning over the toilet. I recall it each time I near the intersection of Big Bend and Manchester, the location of that memorable meal. I would sooner consider a Boone's Farm beverage at a wine tasting than I would think of anything from the Castle in a list of "edibles!"