MY and JC

slu72

Reading the Strauss article between the lines it would seem JC's problem with MY is that MY refuses to play within the system. No surprise here as it's obvious even to the casual observer that MY makes a lt of bone head plays. Not surprising why JC benches his top scorer for extended minutes. The guy won't listen. No doubt MYs got talent, and with the improved recent play of RA, it would be nice to see MY at the 3 and RA at the 4. Kind of like a version of Conk and DE in 2011-12.

Question is will MY stick around, or is he so independent minded he thinks he'll be better off elsewhere? I can't imagine any college coach giving him a freelance license based on what we've seen this year. Hint to MY, you ain't no Kobe, LeBron, or his Airness. I'll side with JC on this issue. MY has to play within the system, whatever that is. My guess is MY was the man in HS and could pretty much do whatever he wanted. Hard habits to break, or super sized ego? If the former, it can be fixed. The latter, not so easily.

Bottom line is JC and MY have to have a come to Jesus meeting with MY agreeing to be a teammate rather than an independent operator.

if another BCS level coach with interest in our players played the tapes of our last 5-6 games I don't think they give it a second thought and say I don't need this. Probably many low-mid level conference coaches would be hesitant. MR might make it with Columbia.Tselsentakis, Smyth & another player I can't think of went to some very low mid level conference schools. I recall when Majerus cleaned house most had to go D2 (Knollmeyer, McGuire, later Salecich) and Relphorde (who had a very good tenure at Colorado) had to go to JC.

Frankly after watching the second half of the conference schedule, I don't care who goes. The only one I really like is RA. At least he plays with some heart. The team just totally regressed and mailed it in since mid-January. The team that was on the floor through the OOC and early part of the conference schedule could easily beat the team we will see in Brooklyn Wednesday.

Even if Milik and RGR come to an understanding, that doesn't fix MY's low basketball IQ or his poor perimeter and free throw shooting. How is he going to play on the wing when he's only shown an ability to score from 5 feet and in?

A lot of these bull charges to the rim may be to cover up the fact that he can't shoot. If Milik can dedicate himself to becoming a better shooter in the offseason, the game will become much easier for him. We happen to have this former All-American on staff who played his position. Getting those two in the gym together seems like it would be a priority.

Agreed, 3star. Would assume JC has a total review w/ each returning player about what they need to work on in the off season. I'd have him watch films of DE's 12-13 season to show him what they're looking for at the 3. DE used a mid range jumper to open things up for himself that year, especially during the second half of that year. The issue w/ MY appears to be his willingness to listen to constructive criticism.

if another BCS level coach with interest in our players played the tapes of our last 5-6 games I don't think they give it a second thought and say I don't need this. Probably many low-mid level conference coaches would be hesitant. MR might make it with Columbia.Tselsentakis, Smyth & another player I can't think of went to some very low mid level conference schools. I recall when Majerus cleaned house most had to go D2 (Knollmeyer, McGuire, later Salecich) and Relphorde (who had a very good tenure at Colorado) had to go to JC.

Frankly after watching the second half of the conference schedule, I don't care who goes. The only one I really like is RA. At least he plays with some heart. The team just totally regressed and mailed it in since mid-January. The team that was on the floor through the OOC and early part of the conference schedule could easily beat the team we will see in Brooklyn Wednesday.

I can't disagree here.

It's kind of funny. The board spends most of the year trashing the soph, junior and senior classes. Now it seems like the two players with stars by their names are both sophomores.

WHOA! There are no stars by any names on this roster right now. RA and MC happen to be the current highlights because that is all we got and everybody needs something to hold onto. I would have preferred to see some of this last year when we had the wins and the seniors to lead us. Problem was we had very few big wins where Crews felt comfortable enough to put RA and MC in for that development. I mean, they couldn't unseat Jake Barnett? What does that really say?

Rarely do I agree with diverse opinions like tarheel versus f05. But in this case I do in regards to tarheel saying they all can go and f05 offering to help pack MY's bag. I also believe, 50/50 mind you, as one self-banned poster does, that you should be accountable for the kids you recruit and if they want to stay, so be it. The other side of that 50/50 is I also want to win more times than not and if wins is the bottom line, you're going to have to cut bait as well. As I've said before, I am thankfully glad my job doesn't depend on the whims of 17-and 18-year-old kids.

Yarbrough got outted just as McBroom did last year when conference play rolled around. The other teams knew what he had and what he was. Instead of letting the game come to him and contributing in other ways, he did not. Roby is not the point guard on this team. Neither is Bartley or Reynolds. Both Gillmann andJolly are soft bigs --- which is really disturbing when you remember Jolly had a year of prep school. Yacoubou was not the stud his press clippings suggested. The freshmen got pushed around constantly --- whether it was Jolly and Gillmann on the inside or the three guards trying to initiate the offense on the outside. I don't know what the offense is or was but I do know the defense was non-existent.

There isn't one star on this roster as I see now -- whether in "star player" or in player rankings. The only thing I can think of moving forward is depression. And a whole lot more of wait 'n see.

WHOA! There are no stars by any names on this roster right now. RA and MC happen to be the current highlights because that is all we got and everybody needs something to hold onto. I would have preferred to see some of this last year when we had the wins and the seniors to lead us. Problem was we had very few big wins where Crews felt comfortable enough to put RA and MC in for that development. I mean, they couldn't unseat Jake Barnett? What does that really say?

Rarely do I agree with diverse opinions like tarheel versus f05. But in this case I do in regards to tarheel saying they all can go and f05 offering to help pack MY's bag. I also believe, 50/50 mind you, as one self-banned poster does, that you should be accountable for the kids you recruit and if they want to stay, so be it. The other side of that 50/50 is I also want to win more times than not and if wins is the bottom line, you're going to have to cut bait as well. As I've said before, I am thankfully glad my job doesn't depend on the whims of 17-and 18-year-old kids.

Yarbrough got outted just as McBroom did last year when conference play rolled around. The other teams knew what he had and what he was. Instead of letting the game come to him and contributing in other ways, he did not. Roby is not the point guard on this team. Neither is Bartley or Reynolds. Both Gillmann andJolly are soft bigs --- which is really disturbing when you remember Jolly had a year of prep school. Yacoubou was not the stud his press clippings suggested. The freshmen got pushed around constantly --- whether it was Jolly and Gillmann on the inside or the three guards trying to initiate the offense on the outside. I don't know what the offense is or was but I do know the defense was non-existent.

There isn't one star on this roster as I see now -- whether in "star player" or in player rankings. The only thing I can think of moving forward is depression. And a whole lot more of wait 'n see.

I am giving Crawford and Agbeko stars because I see them as a 'fit' for moving forward. Crawford may never start, but having a sub come off the bench for 7 to 9 ppg, can hit the 3 and FT, fits in for me. Agbeko has taken the roll that I foresaw Glaze having this year and next year. He is the rebounder we envisioned, and as he works on his hands, he will have value moving forward. Soley from watching them live and on TV, they appear to be solid teammates, and not a 'me first' type of player.

You may not agree and that is fine.

I am giving Crawford and Agbeko stars because I see them as a 'fit' for moving forward. Crawford may never start, but having a sub come off the bench for 7 to 9 ppg, can hit the 3 and FT, fits in for me. Agbeko has taken the roll that I foresaw Glaze having this year and next year. He is the rebounder we envisioned, and as he works on his hands, he will have value moving forward.

You may not agree and that is fine.

RA will be a starter. MC could be a starter IF his defense improved. He can get to the rim. He can shoot the three. He is smart. He always plays hard. And he seems to have the right attitude.

I think its evident that Crews has lost control of the team and that there is definitely some bad blood between the players, it doesnt even look like they get a long out there.

Losing makes players have a short fuse.

I don't think everyone on our team has bought into the idea that we can win without them doing certain things in the stat sheet.

Winners win. I can point to 3 guys in particular who come across as winners. Those guys also appear to be the leaders. But the rest of the team has to follow them

From what has been said, it seems like it's a respect issue.

Rick Majerus' resume spoke for itself. Kids respect a guy who's done what Coach Majerus did. I don't think they feel the same way about Jim Crews...scary situation.

I think all these kids respected Crew and his resume speaks for itself. I just think his plan for this year was not concise and he made big decisions as the team evolved. A mistake he probably regrets now. I also think that with no true measure of where the team is I think it tells a worse story of this season.