What if??? Big East

BJK

Isn't a large amount of the endowment from the sale of SLU Hospital? The endowment is an amazing plus for SLU (in a non-athletic sense). Tuition has risen below average nationally (I'm pretty sure), and SLU provides a large amount of financial aid and scholarships to student (esp compared to what WashU does with their endowment)

They sold the hospital to tennet healthcare for $300 million. They took stock and dumpted it at a whole lot less than the 300 mil. I don't know who manages our endowment but the peformance has been poor. It should be worth a lot more.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Creighton gets in for largely the same reason Butler did - a very strong recent winning tradition. They have the added benefit of a rabid fanbase that travels extremely well.

You're making it sound like there's some conspiracy to keep SLU down. It's ok to admit that Butler and Creighton have stronger programs than SLU because they do. The Big East is a basketball league and the decision to add Butler, Creighton and Xavier were largely basketball decisions. Had we not pissed away the post-Spoon era, perhaps we'd be in the Big East as well.

-thank you Box, a voice of reasonableness

-thank you Box, a voice of reasonableness

I'm not taking anyone on specifically, but in general, I do not understand any tacit acceptance of prodigious mediocrity.

I closely followed the SLU-Big East situation. On the day of the Oregon NCAA game in San Jose in March '13, I thought SLU was getting in for sure, as the 11th team of 12, not 10. (Creighton had been announced on the preceding Wed. as #10.) Something changed in the next 3 months.

It's just unfortunate that the BE didn't just start out with 12 teams with two divisions, like I think many of us MBM's thought was a possibility. Now my fear is that if they decide to expand to 12 in the next few years and we will be passed over by some new flavor of the month.

Why don't we just buy Marquette and replace their board of trustees with our own MBM's and than insist that we get in the Big East?

Question: if you buy a university with your endowment, and they have an endowment around half of yours, do they become a part of your endowment? Does their endowment become yours? Do you split the endowment?

In any event, it appears Creighton required only one member on the Marquette BOT to get in, so why waste the full endowment? (not that I buy the conspiracy theory)

Creighton gets in for largely the same reason Butler did - a very strong recent winning tradition. They have the added benefit of a rabid fanbase that travels extremely well.

You're making it sound like there's some conspiracy to keep SLU down. It's ok to admit that Butler and Creighton have stronger programs than SLU because they do. The Big East is a basketball league and the decision to add Butler, Creighton and Xavier were largely basketball decisions. Had we not pissed away the post-Spoon era, perhaps we'd be in the Big East as well.[/quote

This. We blew it by not giving full monetary support to Spoon. Playing small ball with Spoon ball's expense account and not giving him more money for ACs that could recruit sealed our fate. Then another money saving move by replacing Romar w/ Brad didn't help the cause either. Remember, Brad didn't get the UW job after being the interim coach that got them to the dance. That should have been a huge red flag.

What happened is pretty well known.

I have been told by a SLU Official that Marquette sees SLU as a threat, as the two schools compete for the same Illinois (Chicagoland) students and athletes.

As I have noted before on this Board, Marquette passed SLU in the US News & World Report College Rankings after Marquette was admitted into the Big East, and SLU was parked in the A10.

The admission of Marquette into the Big East from C-USA for '05 put Marquette in the position to decide SLU's conference fate 8 years later.

Some Marquette apologists will no doubt appear to defend their Alma Mater, perhaps some Marquette Undergrad/SLU Law types. But there is no defense for the indefensible.

And in advance, save it on the Sweet 16. Creighton of Omaha has not been to the Sweet 16 since 1974, and played for almost the last 4 decades in the mid-major Valley. Please spare us.

No question those fat cheese heads in Milwaukee screwed us.

Question: if you by a university with your endowment, and they have an endowment around half of yours, do they become a part of your endowment? Does their endowment become yours? Do you split the endowment?

In any event, it appears Creighton required only one member on the Marquette BOT to get in, so why waste the full endowment? (not that I buy the conspiracy theory)

Do a leveraged buy out by using their endowment as the down payment. Then issue some junk bonds for the balance of the purchase price.

What's the real difference between a just over a billion dollars in the endowment and just over 950 million dollars. It's practically just and accounting error. I say we give the powers that be in the Big East a $50 million handshake and close the deal.

You're making it sound like there's some conspiracy to keep SLU down. It's ok to admit that Butler and Creighton have stronger programs than SLU because they do. The Big East is a basketball league and the decision to add Butler, Creighton and Xavier were largely basketball decisions. Had we not pissed away the post-Spoon era, perhaps we'd be in the Big East as well.[/quote

This. We blew it by not giving full monetary support to Spoon. Playing small ball with Spoon ball's expense account and not giving him more money for ACs that could recruit sealed our fate. Then another money saving move by replacing Romar w/ Brad didn't help the cause either. Remember, Brad didn't get the UW job after being the interim coach that got them to the dance. That should have been a huge red flag.

In fairness to Sodie, Wisconsin in large part moved on because they thought they were going to land none other than... Rick Majerus.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/men/former-marquette-basketball-coach-rick-majerus-dies-of-heart-failure/article_004e05e4-3c2a-11e2-a622-0019bb2963f4.html

Bo Ryan has turned out to be very good, but I don't think he was a very popular hire at the time.

Seems like about once a year BAB comes on here and explains to everyone that the reason SLU got passed over for the Big East isn't because Creighton averages 17k per game and brings about 3-4k to the conference tournament every year and that Butler went to back-to-back national title games and at the time of invite had the hottest coach in the country, but rather we got passed over because of a grand conspiracy that dates back over a decade from Marquette to keep us out! And his primary piece of evidence is that we have a larger endowment then these two schools!

Be scared of the black helicopters...

Seems like about once a year BAB comes on here and explains to everyone that the reason SLU got passed over for the Big East isn't because Creighton averages 17k per game and brings about 3-4k to the conference tournament every year and that Butler went to back-to-back national title games and at the time of invite had the hottest coach in the country, but rather we got passed over because of a grand conspiracy that dates back over a decade from Marquette to keep us out! And his primary piece of evidence is that we have a larger endowment then these two schools!

It is interesting that three consecutive administrations at Marquette could carry out this conspiracy without missing a beat.

Seems like about once a year kshoe comes on here, acts as if he knows more than his elders, makes the case for the competitors, ignores the facts from the SLU perspective, even those stated by a SLU official, and then resorts to a cheap shot against a SLU alumnus with 2 SLU degrees, fan and longtime supporter.

Which side are you on, Big Guy?

And by the way, those black helicopters you've warned about before weren't in sight then, and aren't in sight now.

kshoe: How old were you in 2004-2005? Don't dodge, don't hedge. Just answer the question.

After your above drivel, next you'll provide your annual defense of the A10 refs.

Seems like about once a year kshoe comes on here, acts as if he knows more than his elders, makes the case for the competitors, ignores the facts from the SLU perspective, even those stated by a SLU official, and then resorts to a cheap shot against a SLU alumnus with 2 SLU degrees, fan and longtime supporter.

Which side are you on, Big Guy?

And by the way, those black helicopters you've warned about before weren't in sight then, and aren't in sight now.

Stated by a SLU official? You have a link to that statement or was this just something somebody told you at a fan fest pre-game after you asked them if Marquette was anti-SLU and they wanted to appease you by saying something like "Marquette isn't our friend." Doesn't mean Marquette has a vendetta against SLU the way you make it sound.

As for complimenting Creighton and Butler, well that is just reality. I guess I'd be bashing SLU if I pointed out that Duke is also better than SLU but some things should be self-evident. Creighton averages 17k per game and is the only show in town. That is huge! Butler went to back to back national title games. I can't tell you how huge that is! Now they are back in the top 25.

This board is great most of the time because people are allowed to give honest opinions about basketball, not because they blindly say wacky things like "SLU is better than Butler because we were better than them in the late 80s."

kshoe: How old were you in 2004-2005? Don't dodge, don't hedge. Just answer the question.

After your above drivel, next you'll provide your annual defense of the A10 refs.

I remember the dissolution of CUSA quite well and nothing that went down could have gone any other way. Of course Marquette and Depaul took the offer and who could blame them. We dumped Xavier when the Great Midwest was formed so why should they not take an offer to join a vastly superior conference in the Big East. The reason the BE wanted 2 basketball only teams was obvious as it balanced the powers with the football schools and Marquette was just coming off a final 4 so they were an obvious choice. Depaul was an obvious choice at the time because they were in Chicago and had recently had success.