GDT: Take Down the Champs

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Natural basketball intelligence is something you either have or you don't. Some people just know how to play the game, and others don't. I see a lot in Jolly and I don't understand why y'all have such a cinical view of him. You can teach plays, moves, shooting form, but some just have an instinct for the game and I see Jolly blowing up like Conklin did, except much sooner in his career that Conklin found his worth.

I'm a fan of Jolly, but will have to agree that he has shown far less 'skill' than Gillmann. Jolly is more of a grinder; sets solid screens, plays physical. Gillmann is a better passer and shooter. I feel extremely comfortable saying that about both of these guys at this phase in their career, and in the future I'd hope that Jolly doesn't try to become something he's not (a 'skilled' big) and focuses on developing as a post enforcer a la Conklin - echoing a previous post, I haven't seen consistent low-post offensive production from Jolly. Gillmann should try and follow the same general trajectory as Loe. We have a guy ready made for banging in the low-post and another who has shown the requisite skills to play the high post. I hope and expect them to develop skills that complement the types of player they already are rather than reinventing themselves.

One buzzer beating prayer/awkward Dirk imitation does not make you a skilled big...

I'm a fan of Jolly, but will have to agree that he has shown far less 'skill' than Gillmann. Jolly is more of a grinder; sets solid screens, plays physical. Gillmann is a better passer and shooter. I feel extremely comfortable saying that about both of these guys at this phase in their career, and in the future I'd hope that Jolly doesn't try to become something he's not (a 'skilled' big) and focuses on developing as a post enforcer a la Conklin - echoing a previous post, I haven't seen consistent low-post offensive production from Jolly. Gillmann should try and follow the same general trajectory as Loe. We have a guy ready made for banging in the low-post and another who has shown the requisite skills to play the high post. I hope and expect them to develop skills that complement the types of player they already are rather than reinventing themselves.

One buzzer beating prayer/awkward Dirk imitation does not make you a skilled big...

Terms and names aside... "skilled big", enforcer, banger... Gillmann needs to be get stronger, more physical and learn to play in the paint. Rob Loe would step out and shoot a few 3's each game but it wasn't until his Senior year that he played much on the interior. I agree that Jolly should not try to become the next Rob Loe and that Gillmann has better tools (outside shot and passing) to become the next Rob Loe, but still, I wanted a more physical Rob Loe on the interior. With the moving parts our two biggest players on the perimeter of RL and CE and a traditional big of CR able to come off the bench to better match up at times, teams then got burned by DE -- a very unconventional lineup with RM at the helm With half the parts missing last year (CE and CR), the system did not work nearly as well. Same could be the case with Gillmann. We know his passing skills will not disappear and that he will continue working on his outside shot because he is good at it and it is fun, but Gillmann's future playing time (and if he is our starting big, then our team's future) will depend upon how he plays on the interior.