WSU GDT

slu72

Remember what RM and CE use to write on the board - "To win rebound and defend" The rebounding part of that equation has been lost this year. If we do not rebound we will never be any good. Rebounding has to be a committee approach - everyone has to be committed to it and that means to be in the proper position to rebound. How many times last night did you see no SLU players by the basket when the shot was taken. At one time Rammer said we were out rebounded 17-4 - come on you can get more than 19% of the rebounds just by chance. You have to work at not getting beat that badly on the board. Hanging your hat on one guy to turn that around is fool hardy - this is an abysmal coaching failure or we have the worst group of rebounders in the history of Billiken basketball.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To rebound you need to have first and foremost position. Block out your man. That is coaching.

Then you need good hands and either strength or quickness. We are severely lacking in those departments. The strength I expect to improve, but we need to recruit more quickness.

One of the problems I am seeing is the fact that the players too often lose track of their man after a shot goes up.

Gillmann and Jolly have excellent hands and should be pretty good rebounders in the future.

One of the problems I am seeing is the fact that the players too often lose track of their man after a shot goes up.

Gillmann and Jolly have excellent hands and should be pretty good rebounders in the future.

It looks like a lot of guys weren't looking for an opponent at all. For the young guys, they'll learn.

For the older players, that's inexcusable.

Remember what RM and CE use to write on the board - "To win rebound and defend" The rebounding part of that equation has been lost this year. If we do not rebound we will never be any good. Rebounding has to be a committee approach - everyone has to be committed to it and that means to be in the proper position to rebound. How many times last night did you see no SLU players by the basket when the shot was taken. At one time Rammer said we were out rebounded 17-4 - come on you can get more than 19% of the rebounds just by chance. You have to work at not getting beat that badly on the board. Hanging your hat on one guy to turn that around is fool hardy - this is an abysmal coaching failure or we have the worst group of rebounders in the history of Billiken basketball.

I posted that SLU needs a banger to get rebounds. Someone posted that rebounding was not SLU's problem, lack of offense is. They are both problems.

Damn, I don't know what is worse....reading on twitter and in the media all the things people say about police/prosecutor/national guard/local government regarding Mike Brown or reading on this site all the things people say about the Billikids. This site is fμcking brutal. I don't know if it's because of the successful past few seasons transitioning into a rebuilding year but I've never seen it like this. That being said, we need Glaze back bad, Manning needs to be more aggressive, we need a lot less hestitation from our sophomores, the juniors will be fine, and the freshmen are fine they just need to continue to play tough and learn the system. This team will be very good in a couple years.

Chill, JJup, we didn't expect to follow up the last three years with this team. For the most part the comments have been fairly objective and can be summed up as follows:

1.) There's talent in the FR class

2.) The SOPH class has disappointed so far

3.) AY, we're still waiting

4.) AM is not a PG

5.) JM is very meh and that's being gracious

6.) It's a work in progress team

7.) No one's jumping off a bridge this year

Can you really argue with any of the above?

I posted that SLU needs a banger to get rebounds. Someone posted that rebounding was not SLU's problem, lack of offense is. They are both problems.

The scoring issue is compounded by us not rebounding. When we let the other team out rebound us at both ends then they are scoring more and we are getting fewer chances to score. If we really shot 7-25 from 3 feet then we did not even belong on the court. We have shown an ability to miss those bunnies all year long. I am not ragging on the freshmen they are the only ones showing much of anything. Nor am I upset with McBroom - we saw he was a streaking shooter last year and the taller guards made trouble for him so nothing is a surprise this year. Ash - he can rebound but he has to score more. After that the rest of the team has been a complete bust.

Chill, JJup, we didn't expect to follow up the last three years with this team. For the most part the comments have been fairly objective and can be summed up as follows:

1.) There's talent in the FR class

2.) The SOPH class has disappointed so far

3.) AY, we're still waiting

4.) AM is not a PG

5.) JM is very meh and that's being gracious

6.) It's a work in progress team

7.) No one's jumping off a bridge this year

Can you really argue with any of the above?

No argument here....I'm in agreement with everything you listed above 100%, it's just brutal to read over and over and over.

No argument here....I'm in agreement with everything you listed above 100%, it's just brutal to read over and over and over.

What's brutal is reading over and over again the assumptions that the team will never pan out with Crews as coach. I don't understand where that is coming from... Much too early to be implying he's not cut out to take us back to the tourney.

The posts may not be directly saying that, but it's obvious that they imply it.

If I'm understanding this correctly, we went 7-25 from 3 feet and in yesterday according to Durando's deep thoughts article

There were only a couple of close shots that were inexcusable misses. One was by Crawford where he got air from two feet on a shot he easily put over a much shorter defender and the other by Agbeko where he was three feet away with no one between him and the basket. Instead of just jamming it, he went for the backboard. The good news is he did, hit the backboard. The bad news is he didn't hit anything else. It was his off hand, but come on, at least draw iron on a layup.

Most of the other short shots were very contested. However, we still should have made half of them.