Top 10: The ones that stayed

Not counting Larry Legend or R. Frazier...modern era (80s-today).

1. Anthony Bonner

2. Scott Highmark

3. Erwin Claggett

4. Roland Gray

5. Pee Wee Leonard

6. Kevin Lisch

7. Monroe Douglas

8. Tommie Liddell

9. Chris Sloan

10. Jeff Luchtefeld

Could be someone I overlooked that belongs here more than #s 9 and 10.

Agreed on Burden.

I don't understand your rankings. Are you ranking by best players or possibly best recruits coming out of HS?

Burden should be on either list. I'd drop Sloan out.

Stayed what? Stayed home or stayed for four years? If it's the second one, PeeWee did UGa for one year and Burden went to a prep school or something and was only at SLU three years. Jim Roder's numbers are only slightly less than PeeWee's and he did his first two years at KState. Roder meant more as the point guard for some of the better Grawer-era teams.

Agreed, Luther Burden should be listed instead of PWL...especially being among top scorers in the program

Again, PWL shouldn't be on this list. It seems like you were intending the list to include HS players who came to SLU from HS rather than going away. PWL left STL for UGA so that would seem to exclude him from what I think was the purpose of your topic.

Not counting Larry Legend or R. Frazier...modern era (80s-today).

1. Anthony Bonner

2. Scott Highmark

3. Erwin Claggett

4. Roland Gray

5. Pee Wee Leonard

6. Kevin Lisch

7. Monroe Douglas

8. Tommie Liddell

9. Chris Sloan

10. Jeff Luchtefeld

Could be someone I overlooked that belongs here more than #s 9 and 10.

Looking at the list minus PWL who doesn't belong and adding Burden who does belong, we can come up with an outstanding team of STL area SLU players.

I think I need a 6 player team-rotating 1 of the 6 as a starter.

I have AB, RG, EC, KL, LB and SH.

This team might be a little short on height, but AB and RG could make up for that as outstanding rebounders. Talk about shooters (where are they now on the present team?) EC, the best off-the-dribble shooter I can recall at SLU, SH, RG and KL with LB and KL able to penetrate and either shoot or pass to the open man! I would have loved to have seen this group-I think at least Elite Eight, if not Final Four, would have been possible.

At least we can dream, but I think the point is that we have been able to recruit very, very good talent coming out of STL Metro.

If you add Craig Upchurch (who wanted to stay home and play for the Bills) to the above list that is alright with me.

How good is the 1st team when MD and TL would have to come off the bench!

Burden counts. He went JUCO for one year to get his grades in order. He was a solid Billiken commit. His recruitment didn't have much impact though. Pee Wee and Daryl Anderson outshone him among our local recruits at the time. He turned out to be the much better player. Most underrated player of the 80s.

Wait a minute, baumann said "At least we can dream, but I think the point is that we have been able to recruit very, very good talent coming out of STL Metro." ---- this will get me kshoe killed but that is 10 guys, maybe 11 over 34 years? And we ignored the elite. We only got Hughes and I don't recall Mr. Frazier being too high on anyone's list (recognizing recruiting wasn't as sophisticated then as it is now). Wasn't Melvin Robinson a big name back then?

Sorry, but I'd revert back to my old beliefs in 1) St. Louis didn't produce a lot of top tier talent (much better now) and 2) they never considered us except in one extreme case.

Robinson was not a big name. He didn't even start for Vashon. A big reach by Grawer who got a lot of hype because he was 7 foot and he was following Bonner. Grawer made him into a player but coming out of HS he wasn't much.

Wait a minute, baumann said "At least we can dream, but I think the point is that we have been able to recruit very, very good talent coming out of STL Metro." ---- this will get me kshoe killed but that is 10 guys, maybe 11 over 34 years? And we ignored the elite. We only got Hughes and I don't recall Mr. Frazier being too high on anyone's list (recognizing recruiting wasn't as sophisticated then as it is now). Wasn't Melvin Robinson a big name back then?

Sorry, but I'd revert back to my old beliefs in 1) St. Louis didn't produce a lot of top tier talent (much better now) and 2) they never considered us except in one extreme case.

Kshoe killed. That's a new one.

I do find it interesting that when push came to shove two years we showed that St. Louis area college basketball representation was basically average on a per capita basis with the rest of the country and you agreed. Now the story changes to "it may be average now but before that it wasn't very good, because that is how I remember it."

Given that you, and many on this board, were surprised that St. Louis was deemed to be average (as opposed to below average) I suspect its more a case of selective memory on your part then St. Louis somehow significantly improving its basketball talent pool over the past few years.