Who stops Warren?

slu72

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure who this Dwayne is but TJ guards very good players and limits them with regulartiy. He is a very underrated defender. For instance, he really handled Rodney Hood (very, very good duke player) to pedestrian numbers while going for 30+ himself.

Really, you don't know who Dwayne is? Two straight years first team all conference and our leading scorer.

Not sure who this Dwayne is but TJ guards very good players and limits them with regulartiy. He is a very underrated defender. For instance, he really handled Rodney Hood (very, very good duke player) to pedestrian numbers while going for 30+ himself.

Dwayne Evans is a 3/4 who has put up 14ppg this year despite facing constant double teams. He can get his against just about anyone by using a phenomenal post-up game combined with a decent mid-range jumper. Hood is a completely different player. Can Warren defend in the post without fouling? If not, I would expect Gottfried to do what every other coach has done and double Dwayne leaving our shooters open to do the scoring. And Dwayne will still get 12.

We not only have to come out with energy, but we have to sustain that energy throughout the entire game, something we did not do against the Bonnies

Great point. This team hasn't put together a full game since St. Joe's. Now would be a nice time to get back in the habit.

Really, you don't know who Dwayne is? Two straight years first team all conference and our leading scorer.

I don't know who Dwayne is either...I know we have a guy named Dwight, but am not familiar with a Dwayne

Dwayne Evans is a 3/4 who has put up 14ppg this year despite facing constant double teams. He can get his against just about anyone by using a phenomenal post-up game combined with a decent mid-range jumper. Hood is a completely different player. Can Warren defend in the post without fouling? If not, I would expect Gottfried to do what every other coach has done and double Dwayne leaving our shooters open to do the scoring. And Dwayne will still get 12.

i dont think we have truly doubled down on anyone this year, including Jabari Parker. We will play him 1 v 1 with, most likely, Washington/Freeman would be my guess.

JB on Warren...well, maybe not a horrible idea. JB can sag off and generally allow a semi-contested jump shot. I notice JB goes under a lot of screens in general so it will maybe play into what JB naturally does. It generally minimizes DE's foul trouble if he had to guard warren. Also, gives us another def rebounder.

RL and JM will need to be alert on help D for JB.

I'm not fully confident, but I can see the rationale for it. Also, I suspect JB will talk a lot of sh*t to Warren. Putney 2.0

Tom Timmermann ‏@tomtimm 2h

I asked Mike McCall about stopping T.J. Warren. "We have a funny game plan," he said. He later termed the game plan "interesting."

(Insert JB guarding Warren is pretty funny joke here)

I don't understand switching up the defense for this game...go with what brought you here

JB on Warren...well, maybe not a horrible idea. JB can sag off and generally allow a semi-contested jump shot. I notice JB goes under a lot of screens in general so it will maybe play into what JB naturally does. It generally minimizes DE's foul trouble if he had to guard warren. Also, gives us another def rebounder.

RL and JM will need to be alert on help D for JB.

I'm not fully confident, but I can see the rationale for it. Also, I suspect JB will talk a lot of sh*t to Warren. Putney 2.0

Agree, DE in early foul trouble is pretty high up on my worst-case scenario list. Hard to determine what 'interesting' is re: McCall's comments.

I don't understand switching up the defense for this game...go with what brought you here

On the one hand, I agree. On the other, we've lost. 4 out of 5.

If we're mixing up defenses and sticking with what works come crunch time, I'm cool with that. If the new defense backfires, I hope JC doesn't do the "i'm not changing a thing and I'll let them figure it out" routine.

This Barnett bashing is absurd. He frustrates me offensively, but the reason he starts and gets a lot of minutes is because he is probably our best defender of the small forward. Check out the UMass video; he defensively dominated and frustrated a taller, more athletic small forward. Plus, there will most certainly be defense help throughout the game.

I so hope you're right about this.

No offense, but do you really think Evans holds a candle to parker offensively? We held him to 20 pts using primarily Freeman and Washington so Im not too worried about them having enough difficulty to double down... Now if he is the only one hitting, I dont see why not but its not going to be our first option

No offense, but do you really think Evans holds a candle to parker offensively? We held him to 20 pts using primarily Freeman and Washington so Im not too worried about them having enough difficulty to double down... Now if he is the only one hitting, I dont see why not but its not going to be our first option

Lol...I did not compare Evans to Parker. I was simply hoping that, for maybe the first time all year, a team elects not to double on Evans. I think he'd have a monster game. If NC State can play Evans straight up, more power to you.

Lol...I did not compare Evans to Parker. I was simply hoping that, for maybe the first time all year, a team elects not to double on Evans. I think he'd have a monster game. If NC State can play Evans straight up, more power to you.

Gottcha. I think he will have his chance to take advantage of it then. I think we will rely on length and be in position to rebound rather than double and leave the open guy. We have trouble on the D glass so we need all hands on deck there

Gottcha. I think he will have his chance to take advantage of it then. I think we will rely on length and be in position to rebound rather than double and leave the open guy. We have trouble on the D glass so we need all hands on deck there

I hope this is true. DE will have 22 and 10 if this is the case.