35 is the new 25

To be clear... Yes, we have a team that is capable of making the Sweet 16, as far as I'm concerned.

You changed the question. Any team is "capable," if they get in. The question is: do you predict we make the sweet 16? Will we actually do it ??

Cuz if we do pull a 6 or 7 seed, given the latest results; we'll have to beat a 2 or 3 seed to make the 16. Possible; but likely?? Do you see us beating a WSU or SDSU?? I don't. Syracuse, Kansas, Wisconsin, anyone?? ouch. that would be our 2nd rounder--if we win the first one, against, like, a 9 or 10 seed.

Maybe we overachieved, maybe we peaked; maybe our timing is now all out of whack... I'm just saying whatever confidence I had 2 weeks ago is slipping -- and FAST.

All three losses have come against teams SLU is playing for a second time. I know we beat Butler three times and VCU twice last year, but conference teams know exactly what to expect from SLU at this point. Besides, how many teams go 11-11 in free throws like Dayton did last night? Anyway, SLU will be a tough opponent for any team they face in the NCAA tournament. Seeing this defense on tape and having to actually play against it are two completely different things. Sweet Sixteen, here we come!

Syracuse. 25-0.

Syracuse. 26-4.

Syracuse's latest loss was to a team that entered the game 13-16. At home.

“I’m not happy with tonight, but I’m very happy to be 26-4,” Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim said. “We’re well ahead of predictions. We just have to regroup.”

And I'm not saying we're Syracuse. But I am saying that there's clearly a lot of bandwagon-jumping -- in both directions -- on this board. It's hard work being a Billiken fan, so don't claim to be one if you can't put up with a lot of hard work.

You changed the question. Any team is "capable," if they get in. The question is: do you predict we make the sweet 16? Will we actually do it ??

Cuz if we do pull a 6 or 7 seed, given the latest results; we'll have to beat a 2 or 3 seed to make the 16. Possible; but likely?? Do you see us beating a WSU or SDSU?? I don't. Syracuse, Kansas, Wisconsin, anyone?? ouch. that would be our 2nd rounder--if we win the first one, against, like, a 9 or 10 seed.

Maybe we overachieved, maybe we peaked; maybe our timing is now all out of whack... I'm just saying whatever confidence I had 2 weeks ago is slipping -- and FAST.

I didn't change , the question was:

So, to be clear: as far as you're concerned this is a Sweet Sixteen team.

Predict if we'll make the S16 without knowing seed, location, matchups, health of our players, results of final few games... Uh sure, we'll make the S16. 100%.

All three losses have come against teams SLU is playing for a second time. I know we beat Butler three times and VCU twice last year, but conference teams know exactly what to expect from SLU at this point. Besides, how many teams go 11-11 in free throws like Dayton did last night? Anyway, SLU will be a tough opponent for any team they face in the NCAA tournament. Seeing this defense on tape and having to actually play against it are two completely different things. Sweet Sixteen, here we come!

Well they were 5-10 in the first half so a 76% ft shooting night isn't too bad; unless you look at 100% in the 2nd half. The way you cited that stat was just misleading.

That's a good point, but it doesn't exactly bode well for Brooklyn. Repeat matchups did not seem to be a problem for last year's team at all.

Last year's team didn't seem to have such a redundant rotation either. I liked how TL and MC were getting more PT, but they didn't seem to use it to their advantage... TL seemed really trigger shy and MC just didn't have a great game. Disappointing, but at least there's progress.

Syracuse. 25-0.

Syracuse. 26-4.

“I’m not happy with tonight, but I’m very happy to be 26-4,” Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim said. “We’re well ahead of predictions. We just have to regroup.”

And I'm not saying we're Syracuse. But I am saying that there's clearly a lot of bandwagon-jumping -- in both directions -- on this board. It's hard work being a Billiken fan, so don't claim to be one if you can't put up with a lot of hard work.

The bandwagon "fans" are great in fair weather, but if they stick around when the clouds roll in they don't know how to handle it. The ones like us that are here from the beginning are used to the tough times and can't take it without so much anguish.

I didn't change ######, the question was:

So, to be clear: as far as you're concerned this is a Sweet Sixteen team.

Predict if we'll make the S16 without knowing seed, location, matchups, health of our players, results of final few games... Uh sure, we'll make the S16. 100%.

+1 You answered the question perfectly.

I think we all need to get our heads out of our insides and look at the silver-linings: We're 25-5. We're in 1st in the A10 and likely ranked next week for the 9th week in a row. We're going to the NCAA tournament for the 3rd time in a row, and we've broken every record in the damn book this year.

We're on a three game skid, it's tough. But we have to consider all angles. We're playing a very tough schedule right now, and we're dealing with injuries. Hopefully we can get it together by the tournaments, but we'll have to wait and see. Just stop bichting and enjoy this remarkable ride we're on.

Unless the Billikens win at UMass Sunday, It seems unlikely they can remain in the Top 25.

I'm not a big fan of the "who's a real fan" penis-waving contests. It's as silly on here as it is on CardsTalk and other places. But I will say I can't imagine being a "fan" of any team and NOT anguishing over losses like the last two the Bills have been handed at home. Whether you suffered through the Soderberg years (which I was around for) or even the Ekker years (which I wasn't) doesn't really have anything to do with being disappointed over the last week, any more than being a fan during the dark days of the Patsy Donovan era would make a tough loss by the current Cardinals any easier to take.

Unless the Billikens win at UMass Sunday, It seems unlikely they can remain in the Top 25.

I said "likely". That's a loosely interpreted word, and frankly I don't see any reason why we can't win at UMass Sunday. We're still a damn good team. Tanner Lancona is gonna start in place of Evans and Crawford in place of Jett, with McBroom first off the bench. The freshman will combine for 50.

here's a short letter for all you sad sacks.

here's my last two weeks. bills are on a losing streak. my dog likes to fight my girlfriend. i got rear-ended in my new bmw. my bike got stolen. my dentist told me i'm going to die of sleep apnea. i ripped my only pair of jeans from my ass to my ankles jumping a fence after the russian circles show the other night. i'm overworked and under-billable. the gotdamn mail lady charges her phone in my building and listens to '80s hair bands at full volume on said phone while she does so. i might have to move soon. blah blah blah.

but, my life is still better than 99% of other peoples' and my team is still better than 90% of other peoples'. they just clinched the gotdamn conference title. i ain't got nothin' to complain about. i'm gonna sack the fu.ck up and walk like the sun shines out of my ass. because it does. and it's gonna shine all HOTDAMN weekend in the beautiful city of Whale's Va.gina, California.

BILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIESSSSSS.

891792_595922643770803_311374555_o.jpg

Well they were 5-10 in the first half so a 76% ft shooting night isn't too bad; unless you look at 100% in the 2nd half. The way you cited that stat was just misleading.

Actually, they were 1-5 early in the game. so they made 15 of their last 16 free throws. Impressive, but I doubt it will be repeated. They also made their last three 3-point attempts. Tough to beat any team that gets real hot, especially when SLU clanked the first shot of two separate one-and-ones.

Syracuse. 25-0.

Syracuse. 26-4.

Im not happy with tonight, but Im very happy to be 26-4, Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim said. Were well ahead of predictions. We just have to regroup.

+100

Some people started leaving the game last night before 2 minutes were left, just throwing in the towel on our seniors. Pathetic. We know what this team is capable of, and we know that they will work their a*ses off come tourney time. Why give up on them now after all they've done for us the past 4 years?

People always leave with 2 minutes left, regardless of score. Just like hundreds of people only settle into their seats a couple minutes after tipoff. I don't like it or understand it, but it's always been that way at SLU games and has nothing to do with supporting this particular group of seniors.

It happens everywhere, but SLU games are especially bad. My wild guess is that there's a correlation between it and the high percentage of fans over age 50.

I bet it about the same everywhere you go.

I know we talk a lot about how old our fan base is and for years I thought we had the oldest in the country. Then I went over to the A10 board and saw a thread with almost all the A10 teams arguing about how their fan base is the oldest. It gets magnified when you follow a team closely but I bet its the same with every team.

No one knows for sure but thats just this MBM opinion.

Dayton's fan base seems especially old too...from my unscientific survey of games at A-10 schools versus big state schools like Mizzou and Illinois, it really seems like private schools attract older alumni to their games. Which makes sense, I guess...the greater the number of drunken fratboys to pull from, the less prominent the oldheads are going to be.

Who cares about Saturday at this point? The #1 seed in the A-10 tourney is wrapped up, our high ranking and shot at a high NCAA seed are gone, and our two best players are playing hurt. Let the freshmen and walk-ons play Saturday and give the seniors a week to rest and figure out what the f* is going on. The only things that really matter before the NCAA are conference and tourney champs. One of those is wrapped up.

You got this one right.

DE has clearly been playing hurt for several games, and now JJ. Rest 'em vs U Mass.

AND the letdown / coasting effect.. HUGE. SLU and other successful teams hit that point in the season the last several games where they just could not keep up the intensity, looking ahead to the conference and NCAA tournaments. Happens every year, this year more than most.

Upsets galore. (When 'Cuse hits the NCAA Tourney, watch out. They are still Elite 8 or better material).

We do not know how good we are; we didn't know even before the 0-3 slide. Great record until the skid, but played weak SOS.

We were ranked # 10 by AP & USA, but one of our posters here had us in the mid 20's. Then after a few losses, in the mid low 30's. Not sure where he has us now.

I mentioned that Vegas at our peak had us in the low 30's, then the 40's as we slipped.

BUT if we can get healthy and refreshed, when he hit the NCAA's we might be damn good.

Again:

1) huge letdown / coasting effect when we virtually cinched the A-10 # 1 seed and were ranked # 10. I cannot overemphasize how much

an effect this has on teams.

2) Evans, one of our two go-to scorers, was banged up for several games. Then JJ in the Dayton game.

SO there is reason for us to have faith, maybe we ARE pretty damn good. If they heal and we get refocused, we can still get to the Sweet 16.

I am not predicting that, so much depends upon our top two players' 100% recovery, but it is a reasonable possibility that we are still damn good.

So, it looks like you really do post only when things are going sour.

Not true.

I think top 35 is pretty good for SLU.

No doubt we are out of the top 25, but threads like this serve no purpose.

Bench Barnett, and everything will be OK.