Blocked Shots

Any thoughts as to why we've had so many shots blocked lately? According to kenpom, we got 12.6% of our shots blocked. That is 333rd out of 345 in the country. So only 12 teams get a higher percentage of their shots blocked than we do. That comes out to 7 shots a game that we get blocked. So 7 shots we take pretty much never had a chance to go in. Since most of those shots are in the paint, I'll say we could easily make 3 or 4 of those shots so it seems like we're losing at least 6-8 points per game.

Who cares how many shots get blocked as long as we score more points than the other team?

Because we haven't scored more points than the other team the last 2 games. And maybe if we hadn't left so many points on the board earlier in the season, we wouldn't have had to go down to the wire with so many teams. And because we've had more shots blocked recently because teams are starting to adjust to our lack of 3 point shooting and they're packing the lane more making it even harder for us to score.

Other teams adjust to us. I haven't seen us adjust or change anything. The book is out on how to beat us. We have to change now.

Agreed- A10 Coaches have been game planning SLU. The SLU Coaching staff must make adjustments.

Look I'm just a mere fan and SLU alumnus, a big fan, but still a fan, and former CYO Coach watching these games 2,000-3,000 miles away on TV. I know what SLU is going to do at both ends of the floor.

I'd start by putting Glaze in the starting lineup at the 4, move Evans to the 3 on offense, assuming Evans is healthy enough to handle the 3, and have Barnett come off the bench with McBroom. I've noticed Evans does not have the hop lately and suspect his injury is affecting his jumping ability and mobility.

I will also say this- Crews was not pleased that the team came out in the 2nd Half of the GW game, jacking up 3's early in the shot clock with a big lead. Since Crews went public with that, I sense the team is gun shy to shoot the open 3. You can't run the Shot Clock Expiration Offense when you are down by 7-11 points with less than 5 minutes left, and we've seen that the last 2 games, with SLU literally running out the clock on itself.

The smoothest I've ever seen this team run it's offense was the 2011-12 season. Ball screens were crisp and quick and spacing was excellent. I'm thinking right now would be a good time to pull out some of those videos and force feed the team. Lately it's get the ball to DE and hope he can create something, or to JJ for a drive into the lane. Hmmm, let's see 7 blocks a game, surprised it's not more given these two are 6'5" and 6'1" respectively. This team is just not playing Billiken ball right now, but they better get back to it. Never thought I would have said this last Sunday, but I'm really worried about the SVU game.

adjustments by the players with shot fakes, patience and using the rim to protect the ball. Problem for Evans is that he get hammered so often without the foul call, like in yesterdays game he was undercut with a hip check, leading him to fall and land on his hip.

The other issue yesterday is we got the game saturday after a game tuesday and had to travel....that is a tight schedule, add to it we played VCU who was spotted six foul no calls to our none in the first half. The refs were better in the second half but that is a tough mountain to climb.

we played VCU who was spotted six foul no calls to our none in the first half.

Only six? I think it could've been twice that number in the first half. I'd like to root for them doing well as the second best team in the conference, but the lack of foul calls makes it pretty much impossible for me to ever root for them.

Who cares how many shots get blocked as long as we score more points than the other team?

Kind of hard to consistently score more points than the opposition when 12% of your shots never make it near the rim. 6 teams have scored more or an equal number of points as us in regulation. All were close games. A few fewer blocks and we could be undefeated. Think about it.

The last two seasons we've gone from being a 3 point shooting team, to a team that relies mostly on an inside game, post ups & drives to the basket. Our first NCAA team was really 3 point heavy, with Crews we've made a change although it is somewhat due to personnel.

Since we take more 2s yes some of our shots will get blocked. I've seen also our % of points of FTs is down as well. While I think this is a small sample size I think this is due to some of our guys not taking it strong all the time, and thus not getting calls.

The more alarming number I see is our steal %. We had one of the lower ones in the country last year, in the top 1/3, this season we are in the bottom 3rd. That's not TOs either, that's steals. Turnovers don't always turn into opposition points, steals almost always do.

Because we haven't scored more points than the other team the last 2 games. And maybe if we hadn't left so many points on the board earlier in the season, we wouldn't have had to go down to the wire with so many teams. And because we've had more shots blocked recently because teams are starting to adjust to our lack of 3 point shooting and they're packing the lane more making it even harder for us to score.

Other teams adjust to us. I haven't seen us adjust or change anything. The book is out on how to beat us. We have to change now.

I agree - JC has not made the adjustments necessary - the zones that are being played against us have handcuffed us and we need to have a different approach to beating it then what we have been doing. If we can shoot the 3 consistently then maybe we should be taking more short jumpers - anything but what we have been doing - standing around on the perimeter passing the ball around for 25 seconds and then trying to drive and getting the ball stripped. Time for JC to earn his $

So you have no concerns for the team?

So you are saying blocked shots do not matter?

I was kind of being sarcastic. When we win I do not care about how many shots are being blocked. If we lose I care how many shots are blocked. Just score more than the other team and they can block us as many times as they want.