Bracketology Review--2/24 edition

kwyjibo

This is the review of the 43 bracketologists who have updated in the last 2 days. SLU is still a consensus 4 pick but moving down a little (http://www.bracketmatrix.com/):

2 5%
3 26%
4 51%
5 16%
6 2%

The Dance Card (regression analysis of ALL the profile factors; also note they got every team right last year) says SLU is BETTER than its RPI a touch. That is SLU according to the Dance Card is currently a 3 seed (10th in DanceCard rank with 11th RPI). This is good news as the impact of undefeated last stretch, 10-0 on the road, a 4-2 current record against the top 50, and 1-0 against top 25 has made SLU's profile a positive. This makes all projections a little bit more optimistic. http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance.htm

But even though SLU is currently a 4 seed they will more likely end up somewhere else. I looked at all the regular season and conference tourney possibilities and mostly used RPIforecast (http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/ct/Saint%20Louis.html) to figure out the probabilities of getting a particular seed. The chance of getting a 2 seed is roughly one in 6 right now (a one seed is technically possible but it means winning out AND having other top teams lose). Even if SLU goes 2-2 down the stretch they would have a lot of different possibilities depending on how A10 tourney goes (they could still be a 3 seed by winning the tourney but likely still a 6 if they were to crap out on Friday). The 7 plus seeds are related to losing more games down the stretch and crapping out in Brooklyn. Bottom line is that SLU right now has a greater than 60% chance at being 4 seed or better.

2 15.6%
3 30.7%
4 17.4%
5 20.9%
6 12.6%
7+ 2.9%

At the beginning of the season I asked on here what we'd have to do to top last season's year-end ranking and tournament seed. I didn't think either would be possible without at least one win against Wis/Wich, but amazingly enough we've already managed one and are well on the way to at least a 3 seed.

kwyjibo, it all depends on how well we do in the remaining games, including the A10 tournament. If we can beat VCU and UMass we should go much higher, particularly if we repeat these results in the tournament. I am talking a 2 seed, or even a 1 if we remain unbeaten in the remaining play plus A10 tournament. We might as well enjoy this to its full extent as it is happening.

kwyjibo, it all depends on how well we do in the remaining games, including the A10 tournament. If we can beat VCU and UMass we should go much higher, particularly if we repeat these results in the tournament. I am talking a 2 seed, or even a 1 if we remain unbeaten in the remaining play plus A10 tournament. We might as well enjoy this to its full extent as it is happening.

My post at the top summarizes the possible seeds given the variety of endings to the season. Right now winning out would most likely get SLU a 2 seed but that starts changing when teams ahead of us start losing. SLU has to have a better profile than the best 4 teams in the country (some of those ahead of us may falter a bit but at least 4 will finish fine) for it to be a one seed and it is not realistic to forecast so many top teams losing several games.

Exactly.

The @ VCU, Dayton, @ U Mass final three conference games are going to be difficult. All three opponents are far more motivated than us. We will be a 6-7 point dog at VCU.

And the A-10 Tourney... # 1 seeds get knocked off all the time in conference tournaments historically.

rpi forecasts do not take into consideration letdown games.

A loss or two really hurts us as a mid major with an RPI SOS of 80.

smith said "at least a 3 seed"?

kyyjibo and smith do not understand these sophisticated dynamics at all, jabbering about our NCAA seed prematurely.

We need to win all our games for a 4, it is possible that might get us a 3, no way a 2. If we lose a few, we go to 5-6-7.

Generally speaking, it is better to get a lower seed, but the luck of the draw, who you play and where, are sometimes random, so a seed a little higher or lower is not always a true difference maker.

Old guy is right, we need to win these games and IMO it will be a significant challenge.

Exactly.

The @ VCU, Dayton, @ U Mass final three conference games are going to be difficult. All three opponents are far more motivated than us. We will be a 6-7 point dog at VCU.

And the A-10 Tourney... # 1 seeds get knocked off all the time in conference tournaments historically.

rpi forecasts do not take into consideration letdown games.

A loss or two really hurts us as a mid major with an RPI SOS of 80.

smith said "at least a 3 seed"?

kyyjibo and smith do not understand these sophisticated dynamics at all, jabbering about our NCAA seed prematurely.

We need to win all our games for a 4, it is possible that might get us a 3, no way a 2. If we lose a few, we go to 5-6-7.

Generally speaking, it is better to get a lower seed, but the luck of the draw, who you play and where, are sometimes random, so a seed a little higher or lower is not always a true difference maker.

Old guy is right, we need to win these games and IMO it will be a significant challenge.

If we win the rest of our conference games, we will likely move up to a 3. Win the conference tournament and that could become a 2.

Realistically, I expect us to trip up along the way and get a 4 or 5 seed.

Edit: After re-reading your post I realize we don't disagree as much as I thought. Bottom line, we need to win tonight and then come out strong on Saturday.

kwyjibo, it all depends on how well we do in the remaining games, including the A10 tournament. If we can beat VCU and UMass we should go much higher, particularly if we repeat these results in the tournament.

I dont believe it.

I think they will move up by getting blown out the rest of the year.