SLU #7 in Grantland Power Rankings; Is Crews to IU a Thing?

thelaundry

"7. Saint Louis

Yes, Saint LouisVCU was a close game, and yes, VCUs late 9-0 run to tie the game probably put a scare in Billikens fans, but it had been obvious to me since before halftime that the Billikens would win. Sure, Saint Louis took awful care of the ball throughout most of the game and Jordair Jett a future inductee to the Khalid El-Amin Hall of Fame for great guards who look completely out of shape took awhile to get going. But I never lost confidence in the Billikens because all game long, it was harder for VCU to score than it was for Saint Louis.

Before we go any further, we need to remember that the goal of VCUs Havoc defense is to speed up offenses and force turnovers. The Rams dont mind giving up easy buckets from time to time because thats a necessary risk to take to force so many turnovers. So while its tempting to applaud Saint Louis for shooting 45 percent against one of college basketballs best defenses, we should also acknowledge that the Billikens committed 17 turnovers, which was exactly what VCU wanted to happen.

Whats impressive about the Billikens, though, is that even when their offense fizzles, they dont let it affect their defense. They forced VCU to commit 13 turnovers of their own and held the Rams to 38.5 percent shooting (including 2-of-16 from the 3-point line). So many teams even those with great defenses let offensive struggles bleed over to the other end of the court, but Saint Louis seems to play even better D when its offense struggles. Its like all five Billikens players realize after a few missed shots or turnovers that their defensive margin of error is virtually nonexistent, and instead of tensing up from this pressure, they embrace the challenge and lock down their opponents.

That brings me to this question: If you had to root for a school thats known for its defense, would you want to cheer for a team like Cincinnati or San Diego State, where one player like Sean Kilpatrick or Xavier Thames carries the offense single-handedly? Or would you want to support a team like Saint Louis, where Jett, Dwayne Evans, Rob Loe, and Mike McCall spread the scoring? Ohio State fans who are missing Deshaun Thomas this season are screaming, The first option! at the top of their lungs right now. But Im not sure which is better. All I know is that as Saint Louis keeps winning and as Tom Crean keeps farting on Indiana fans pillows, the Jim Crews to IU crowd will get louder and louder."

http://grantland.com/features/mark-titus-top-12-ncaa-rankings-admitting-a-love-for-duke/

Mark Titus is a former tOSU walk-on, blogger, writer and creator of CLUB TRILLION http://clubtrillion.blogspot.com/. He is the writer of his comedic memoirs Don't Put Me in Coach: My Incredible NCAA Journey from the End of the Bench to the End of the Bench. http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Put-Me-Coach-Incredible/dp/0385535104

I'm 100% sure he was joking. That being said go get his book, I highly recommend it.

"7. Saint Louis

Yes, Saint LouisVCU was a close game, and yes, VCUs late 9-0 run to tie the game probably put a scare in Billikens fans, but it had been obvious to me since before halftime that the Billikens would win. Sure, Saint Louis took awful care of the ball throughout most of the game and Jordair Jett a future inductee to the Khalid El-Amin Hall of Fame for great guards who look completely out of shape took awhile to get going. But I never lost confidence in the Billikens because all game long, it was harder for VCU to score than it was for Saint Louis.

Before we go any further, we need to remember that the goal of VCUs Havoc defense is to speed up offenses and force turnovers. The Rams dont mind giving up easy buckets from time to time because thats a necessary risk to take to force so many turnovers. So while its tempting to applaud Saint Louis for shooting 45 percent against one of college basketballs best defenses, we should also acknowledge that the Billikens committed 17 turnovers, which was exactly what VCU wanted to happen.

Whats impressive about the Billikens, though, is that even when their offense fizzles, they dont let it affect their defense. They forced VCU to commit 13 turnovers of their own and held the Rams to 38.5 percent shooting (including 2-of-16 from the 3-point line). So many teams even those with great defenses let offensive struggles bleed over to the other end of the court, but Saint Louis seems to play even better D when its offense struggles. Its like all five Billikens players realize after a few missed shots or turnovers that their defensive margin of error is virtually nonexistent, and instead of tensing up from this pressure, they embrace the challenge and lock down their opponents.

That brings me to this question: If you had to root for a school thats known for its defense, would you want to cheer for a team like Cincinnati or San Diego State, where one player like Sean Kilpatrick or Xavier Thames carries the offense single-handedly? Or would you want to support a team like Saint Louis, where Jett, Dwayne Evans, Rob Loe, and Mike McCall spread the scoring? Ohio State fans who are missing Deshaun Thomas this season are screaming, The first option! at the top of their lungs right now. But Im not sure which is better. All I know is that as Saint Louis keeps winning and as Tom Crean keeps farting on Indiana fans pillows, the Jim Crews to IU crowd will get louder and louder."

http://grantland.com/features/mark-titus-top-12-ncaa-rankings-admitting-a-love-for-duke/

Good point about the turnovers, but the encouraging part is, I only think we only had 5 of our 17 to's in the second half. Hopefully we will be better prepared for them in the future.

This = true

"So many teams — even those with great defenses — let offensive struggles bleed over to the other end of the court, but Saint Louis seems to play even better D when its offense struggles. It’s like all five Billikens players realize after a few missed shots or turnovers that their defensive margin of error is virtually nonexistent, and instead of tensing up from this pressure, they embrace the challenge and lock down their opponents."

and don't get caught up in the Crews to IU talk...that was more about farting on Crean's pillow than anything else

I mean, I'm more concerned about IU hiring Calbert Cheaney in 2-3 years than I am about Crews leaving.

You mean as head coach?? please ... also zero chance of Cheaney to IU in 2-3 years. NONE. Cheaney may leave here but it would not be as head coach at IU (maybe I misunderstood).

frankly I do not understand the vitriol on here regarding Crean -- who took a dead program and got to the Sweet 16 twice already, with a lottery pick last year. This team has upside in a very strong Big Ten this year, and returns a bunch of good players with strong recruits. what's not to like??

ps: if you did not hear, the sky may actually be falling in B-town; part of the metal ceiling if Assembly Hall feel onto stands a few hours before a game with Iowa, that got cancelled!

You mean as head coach?? please ... also zero chance of Cheaney to IU in 2-3 years. NONE. Cheaney may leave here but it would not be as head coach at IU (maybe I misunderstood).

frankly I do not understand the vitriol on here regarding Crean -- who took a dead program and got to the Sweet 16 twice already, with a lottery pick last year. This team has upside in a very strong Big Ten this year, and returns a bunch of good players with strong recruits. what's not to like??

ps: if you did not hear, the sky may actually be falling in B-town; part of the metal ceiling if Assembly Hall feel onto stands a few hours before a game with Iowa, that got cancelled!

If Cheaney succeeds Crews as is a very real possibility, and Cheaney has success as a head coach here...at which point IU has a coaching vacancy, you don't think he'd be a candidate?

Crean's entire career is built on a Final 4 run when he had future NBA HOFer Dwyane Wade. Oh...he got the flagship program in THE most basketball crazy state in the country to the Sweet 16...what do you want...a cookie?

He had the #2 and #4 players taken in the subsequent NBA draft and still he couldn't get past the Sweet 16 and you think that makes him a good coach? The dipshit had his team cut down the nets after a LOSS to celebrate clinching a share of a regular season conference title.

This year he's lost at home to Penn St and Northwestern. How is that upside?

If Cheaney succeeds Crews as is a very real possibility, and Cheaney has success as a head coach here...at which point IU has a coaching vacancy, you don't think he'd be a candidate?

Crean's entire career is built on a Final 4 run when he had future NBA HOFer Dwyane Wade. Oh...he got the flagship program in THE most basketball crazy state in the country to the Sweet 16...what do you want...a cookie?

He had the #2 and #4 players taken in the subsequent NBA draft and still he couldn't get past the Sweet 16 and you think that makes him a good coach? The dipshit had his team cut down the nets after a LOSS to celebrate clinching a share of a regular season conference title.

This year he's lost at home to Penn St and Northwestern. How is that upside?

+1.

They expect championships at IU. Crean better start delivering...I don't think he can survive many more seasons like this one

Mark Titus is a former tOSU walk-on, blogger, writer and creator of CLUB TRILLION http://clubtrillion.blogspot.com/. He is the writer of his comedic memoirs Don't Put Me in Coach: My Incredible NCAA Journey from the End of the Bench to the End of the Bench. http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Put-Me-Coach-Incredible/dp/0385535104

I'm 100% sure he was joking. That being said go get his book, I highly recommend it.

After reading his book I now understand why Evan Turner gets traded every season.

Definitely. Bought his book and lent it to my boss. (MISTAKE!) I read it in one day. It's well done, but as a Buckeye I have my biases. Talented writer.

Titus is great, and he does his top 12 every week. It's awesome publicity for SLU. Titus is so much more analytic than most other "power ratings." I just wish he treated more teams.

We've been on his radar for awhile now, starting with 2012. Amazing that we're 7th. Let's hope he keeps watching games and has more to say. Can't hurt recruiting.

Crews to IU is a great rumor. He's be in national COY discussions again. Glad that the national elite wish they had the talent we do at SLU.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but while our Billies were enjoying their off day in Columbus I found out Mark was doing a book signing at the OSU bookstore(Which by the way I've never seen such an amazing selection of college merch in my life). I had already bought the book on kindle but figured if I had a chance to get a signed copy then I should spring for it. tOSU was playing that day and the game went long and he showed up late and hammered to his signing. Couldn't have been a nicer guy. I was first in line and he took pictures signed my book and told me he was impressed with SLU(I was wearing my Billikens NCAA shirt) and was pulling for us against Michigan State. Just an all around good dude.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but while our Billies were enjoying their off day in Columbus I found out Mark was doing a book signing at the OSU bookstore(Which by the way I've never seen such an amazing selection of college merch in my life). I had already bought the book on kindle but figured if I had a chance to get a signed copy then I should spring for it. tOSU was playing that day and the game went long and he showed up late and hammered to his signing. Couldn't have been a nicer guy. I was first in line and he took pictures signed my book and told me he was impressed with SLU(I was wearing my Billikens NCAA shirt) and was pulling for us against Michigan State. Just an all around good dude.

you trying to get that pipe?

Yeah, like Crews would take THAT job. Of course, they can likely throw a lot more money at him than we can.

Haith doesn't seem to be a very good game coach. And unless he can start recruiting TEAM players instead of a constant revolving door of transfers, I would guess he's gonna be out of a job in a year or so.