Nice P-D Story from Jeff Gordon

Adman

As much as I've said about the P-D's lack of Billiken commentary and coverage of what the program has accomplished through major investment and commitment, I must recognize them when they get it right. Here are some nice notes from Jeff Gordon -- one of their best writers and a Mizzou Antler to boot.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/gordon-slu-soars-mizzou-teeters-illini-plunge/article_00bd16bf-273d-58b8-bc61-440be1b5cd42.html

The story requires much more in-depth reporting but Jeff's commentary is right on. Like the Majerus connection, too. This doesn't get done without him as we know.

Sorry if this was already posted.

good story but clueless about seeding:

I will be extremely disappointed if we end up with a 6 or 7 seed; my guess is most folks on here would as well. I'm hoping for a #3 (if we really string together some amazing win streak) and would settle right now for a #4 or even 5, which would put us in line (if we can win 3 in a row) to meet a #1 in a regional final (hopefully Indy or Memphis)... what say ye??? I am down for Indy!!!

ps: I saw LaSalle a couple weeks ago against VCU; they did lose, but looked like the kind of tema (with the kind of gym, and the team maybe a little tired) that could knock us off.....

ps: I saw LaSalle a couple weeks ago against VCU; they did lose, but looked like the kind of tema (with the kind of gym, and the team maybe a little tired) that could knock us off.....

Fortunately LaSalle has a tough one Wednesday night in Amherst against UMASS.

I will be extremely disappointed if we end up with a 6 or 7 seed; my guess is most folks on here would as well. I'm hoping for a #3 (if we really string together some amazing win streak) and would settle right now for a #4 or even 5, which would put us in line (if we can win 3 in a row) to meet a #1 in a regional final (hopefully Indy or Memphis)... what say ye??? I am down for Indy!!!

DoctorB, agree with you on seeding. If 6 or 7 is all we earn, disappointing.

On other hand, we have quite the gauntlet to run between now and conference tournament. If we take care of business, our RPI will catch up with the polls -- and we'll earn something much better. If not, a disappointing 6-7 is what we'll earn.

I'm down for Indy ... or STL!

As much as I've said about the P-D's lack of Billiken commentary and coverage of what the program has accomplished through major investment and commitment, I must recognize them when they get it right. Here are some nice notes from Jeff Gordon -- one of their best writers and a Mizzou Antler to boot.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/gordon-slu-soars-mizzou-teeters-illini-plunge/article_00bd16bf-273d-58b8-bc61-440be1b5cd42.html

The story requires much more in-depth reporting but Jeff's commentary is right on. Like the Majerus connection, too. This doesn't get done without him as we know.

Sorry if this was already posted.

No. These are not nice notes from Jeff Gordon. Instead, this is typical Gordon -- he only writes about SLU in comparison with Mizzou, and here lately when Mizzou is sucking wind, he also throws in the other programs by comparison to help shield Mizzou. Now, if Gordo or any other hack at the Post wants to write an article only about SLU, then please do so. Just don't let anyone be fooled that if Mizzou had a record of 20-2, I guarantee you there would be no article mentioning SLU anywhere in Gordo's article. Guys like Gordo simply cannot praise SLU - plain and simple - without mentioning Mizzou or by putting our record "into context". No, SLU is off to its best record ever -- and we get this crap of #6 or #7 seed for SLU (which might or might turn out to be correct) v. Mizzou (which is not even looking like a Tourney team) being an #11 seed. So, as is typical of Gordo, he assumes that SLU will fall back to reality and start to lose while he assumes Mizzou will improve with both making the Tourney. Gordo = tool.

Christ, you people b!tch when SLU is ignored and you b!tch when we're praised. SLU and SPUMAC were not the only two teams mentioned in that article. Even the two SIUs got a mention. I guess Gordon thinks they're both better than SLU too?

Pelican. I can understand your mistaking me for Christ… but my name is really Clock.

And no, I no longer ***** when SLU is ignored by the Post in that I am over the Post. I don't read the Post and I don't care what the Post says or doesn't say. It frankly has no relevance with me anymore. Instead, when Adman started this thread and provided the link, I did read the column looking for the kind words from Jeff. Instead, I found more of the same b.s. which helped cause me to lose interest in the Post. I guess you have lower standards and are just thrilled to death that Mr. Antler mentioned SLU.

I am not too thrilled about the article, they HAVE to recognize us a bit with us being so highly ranked. If we fall in one of the last 9 league games they will drop us and go back to default. It was not that big or flattering of an article, whined about poor, poor ole Mizzou a lot. Sickening.

This is nothing, a drop in the ocean, in the context of 40+ years of Missouri favoritism & SLU abuse.

Nice to read, but let's not get too excited, this is the SL Post Dispatch.

I think I have pretty high standards. For instance, I don't like "whiny". It makes one seem small.

And nothing that Jeff Gordon thinks or writes will make one bit of difference in where SLU is seeded or sent. That's why they play the games. (For a guy who doesn't care what the Post says or doesn't say.)

This article wasn't intended to praise the Billikens efforts to date. It was simply a state of affairs for local college teams, re making the dance. Still a little disappointed BM has been so quiet about us this year, but in the overall scheme of things, who cares or what does it matter? What does matter is these next nine games. We've basically been allowed to pad our resume against teams outside the top 50, well the salad days are over. The next 4 weeks will reveal if we're pretenders or contenders.

Some promising trends; RL and MM showing a more aggressive attitude on offense. GG cutting down ill advised shots. McB proving he's the real deal. JJ being not just a marvel on D, but a legit offensive threat. Some negative concerns; DE seeming to force things rather than let the game come to him. Some shocking lapses on D, eg GM and DU. Great D is what brung us, now's not the time to forget that. JB is not the man to matchup with athletic 3s, and DE wii have trouble with big PFs. GM exposed this, especially on the boards. It may be time to get GG more minutes, or even go with the twin towers at times, and get DE back at the 3.

Despite what people on here say, Gordon has always been fair to us. His articles rarely are hard hitting or insightful for fans that really know what is going on, but for fans that only casually follow a team he may actually have new information.

Despite what people on here say, Gordon has always been fair to us. His articles rarely are hard hitting or insightful for fans that really know what is going on, but for fans that only casually follow a team he may actually have new information.

Agree, I found the article to be a nice counter to Strauss's article last week.

Christ, you people b!tch when SLU is ignored and you b!tch when we're praised. SLU and SPUMAC were not the only two teams mentioned in that article. Even the two SIUs got a mention. I guess Gordon thinks they're both better than SLU too?

It's the same folks over and over again. It's like they have an agenda :ph34r:

I'm still wringing my hands over who is going to bat second for the Cardinals. Who has time for any Billiken talk?

Speaking of that article, how poorly was it written?! A total lack of coherent structure and no argument to support his "decision" in which he picked TWO players! Clearly a click-generator and little more. Most Cardinal fans could have written that article during their lunch break.

This is just a quibble, but the only way to meet the #1 seed in the regional final is to be 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, or 11.