Bills by 7 1/2 over Richmond

The Wiz

Richmond fan here. We expect the UR-SLU game to be a dog fight, with a lot of defense. The starting five includes Cedric Lindsay, Kendall Anthony, ANO, Derrick Williams and Trey Davis. Our team and our scoring is dominated by 2 guards, Cederic Lindsay and Kendall Anthony. They are very good and very experienced. We have strong threats in Derrick Williams #34. He is 6-6 and 270. He is good, but his production has not been the same since he was injured last season. Williams can give us a good 10-12 points per game. We have a good shot blocker, Alonzo Nelson-Ododa (ANO for short). ANO can score, but he doesn't always. We have a strong sophomore class- including ANO, Terry Allen, Trey Davis and Deion Taylor. Either of these Sophomores can score at will. Allen can easily score 20 points in a night. Trey Davis, a starter, is a glue guy for Richmond. He scored 14 and had 12 rebounds against St. Joes. Trey's father, John Davis, was a UR alum. He was probably the smartest UR basketball player ever graduated with a 3.9 in physics and math). We have 2 other players- Wayne Sparrow a junior point guard, who slashes to the rim, and Sean-Dre Jones (SDJ). SDJ, a freshman, can easily make 3-pointers and is probably the best pure shooter on the team. We are to the point that our coach Chris Mooney can almost substitute one entire team for the starters, with very little loss of production. Look for the second team-consisting of Wayne Sparrow (PG), SDJ, Deion Taylor and Terry Allen. While St. Louis will be more rested, UR has a lot of depth. UR is pumped for the game and has played 4 games this year in OT. Until the most recent 4 game winning streak, UR has tended to fold down the stretch. Since we have beaten UMass, St. Joes and Dayton, our team has a lot of confidence. Surprisingly, we have not unraveled in recent games. I expected this game to go into overtime. It will be a fun game to watch. Good luck.

Geezus, Are we playing Richmond or Arizona?!?!

While I agree Richmond is a very deep team and spreads the scoring around, this is a pretty blinded write-up of your team. "Allen can easily score 20 points in a night" but he has chosen to just never do that (career high is 19) and average 8 ppg this year? C'mon man.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We beat them by 10 at their place last season. Why should I expect this game to be closer at the 'Fetz?

Because it is college basketball. Ask Villanova about Creighton.

Wrong alumni fan, all indications including the betting site projections point to a SLU win. We should win this one.

The question AlumniFan answered was "why should I expect it to be CLOSER at the 'Fetz?"

He answered that you should expect it to be closer because this is college basketball which is, in its very nature, a fickle beast. Richmond is playing very well lately and this could easily be a closer game than 10 points.

That said, I still expect a win. But I understand why someone would be nervous.

Wrong alumni fan, all indications including the betting site projections point to a SLU win. We should win this one.

Really? Do you think #4 Villanova expected to lose by almost 30 points at home to unranked Creighton?

Really? Do you think #4 Villanova expected to lose by almost 30 points at home to unranked Creighton?

We are not Villanova and Richmond is not Creighton. That said, we seem to go through a period of loss of confidence and hand wringing prior to just about every game. This nervousness was justified before our game with Dayton (Dayton has been doing terrible in conference play, but they did beat Gonzaga, and Baylor in the preseason), and I think this may be justified before we go against VCU. However I am not nervous against Richmond, I think we will win.

We are not Villanova and Richmond is not Creighton. That said, we seem to go through a period of loss of confidence and hand wringing prior to just about every game. This nervousness was justified before our game with Dayton (Dayton has been doing terrible in conference play, but they did beat Gonzaga, and Baylor in the preseason), and I think this may be justified before we go against VCU. However I am not nervous against Richmond, I think we will win.

Fat tails.

Fat tails?

Fat tails occur in statistical distributions that have large numbers of outliers relative to the normal distribution. Directionally, that is what happened in the Villanova v Creighton game. It just as easily could happen tomorrow.

I think and hope we will win. I would bet money on it if I gambled. However, reality is a harsh teacher (e.g. Santa Clara) so I am taking nothing for granted. Plus, Richmond is on a roll and I am not a big believer in reversion to the mean in the way most people (mis)understand it.

Could we lose to Richmond, sure. Basically with the exception of Mason and Duquesne at the Fetz, all of our remaining games provide some element of risk of a loss if we are not on our game or we run into a team having a hot day. But the bottom line is that we will be favored in the majority of our remaining games, probably with the exception of UMass and at VCU.

The question AlumniFan answered was "why should I expect it to be CLOSER at the 'Fetz?"

He answered that you should expect it to be closer because this is college basketball which is, in its very nature, a fickle beast. Richmond is playing very well lately and this could easily be a closer game than 10 points.

That said, I still expect a win. But I understand why someone would be nervous.

Following both of your logic we could just as easily win by 20+ ... Fickle beast indeed ...

Do you have any idea what the Wiz is doing when he makes his pregame posts?

He runs each game thru his top secret his eyes only Thinkolator. IBM's offered him a ton of bucks for his wonder machine, but he reserves it solely for Billiken.com. By the way he's a multi billionaire who's been banned from most betting sites.