Crews on ESPNU CBB podcast

rgbilliken

Dakich is a Rob Loe fan.

I told several people at the game at Dayton that Rob Loe is the biggest surprise to me on this year's team. His defense and athleticism have been incredibly good and so much better than when he arrived it is almost like he is a different person. He is chasing down guards to block shots--running across the lane to block shots that are wide open at the hoop and changing shots often. This is probably the best example we have ever seen of the old adage that it takes big centers longer to develop than the guards and forwards. And over the last few games we are really starting to see that in John Manning as well. He is dramatically better than he was when he arrived, particularly on defense and blocking shots without fouling. In my opiniion, this is the best tandum of almost 7 footer centers we have ever seen on one Billikens team. I don't think anyone really mentioned it much at the time but in the second half of the RI game when our forwards were in foul trouble Coach Crews put Rob and John in the game at the same time and they really helped hold the fort while we waited for Dwayne to come back in. I think we will be even tougher down the stretch because we will not be as vulnerable to foul trouble for Rob with John playing so well on defense.

Good to see the Bills getting some well deserved respect from the national media. On JCs show, dakovich(sp) was really impressed by all the little things the Bills do to win games.

I just finished watching the televised Dayton game last night and Dakich is obviously biased toward Crews, which is great. He said at one point that JC was a great family man and considered by the coacing profession to be one of the very best college head coaches.

Dakich is a Rob Loe fan.

He is correct in appreciating how good Loe is at passing. Most guys Rob's size have a difficult time even catching the ball consistently. Even when he is not scoring, Rob is extremely valuable in a lot of ways. He's a good outlet in breaking the press. He can go catch the ball in last second situation like end of game against Valpo or end of half vs. URI. He's the type of player a lot of fans don't fully appreciate now, but will really appreciate more after he is gone.

He is correct in appreciating how good Loe is at passing. Most guys Rob's size have a difficult time even catching the ball consistently. Even when he is not scoring, Rob is extremely valuable in a lot of ways. He's a good outlet in breaking the press. He can go catch the ball in last second situation like end of game against Valpo or end of half vs. URI. He's the type of player a lot of fans don't fully appreciate now, but will really appreciate more after he is gone.

He will occasionally force the high-low pass, but otherwise, he is a damn good passer.

You don't have to sell me on Rob. I been pretty consistent in praising the guy.

For those who didn't listen to the podcast, here were the main points:

-Crews started off by talking about chemistry and how it wasn't an issue at all last year, with such a veteran-laden team. He intimated that it was more challenging earlier in this season with more newcomers and not much experience outside the five seniors. He added that he thinks they've turned a corner chemistry-wise in the past two weeks. I found this interesting, as it hasn't really been a storyline for us thus far.

-He said this group of players really seems to like the road (joked, "I don't know if it's the fluffier pillows or what"). But he said they don't seem to get thrown out of their collective mindset despite the travel, weather, hotels, meal times, and so forth. He says he's never seen a group as comfortable with the road as these guys.

-For the Dayton scouting/film sessions, he brought all five seniors to the front and got them involved. He and his assistants asked, "Well, what do you guys think?" and applied that to basically every facet of preparation. He said they've all seen Dayton twice a season, played there a few times, know the personnel, but that he also genuinely wanted their input to seek what adjustments they'd want to make for this game. He added that it's rare to have a group of players that make something like this possible. - I found this part really interesting, too; I've never seen game preparation be such an open forum. I wonder how much this will be used going forward this season, as Crews seemed to partially credit their involvement for a well-played win.

-Crews and Greenberg seemed to know each other well and have a good rapport.

-He didn't spend much time at all talking about individual players. This has never struck me as his style, but with this much time and this level of informality, I wondered how much he might say about certain guys. Not much, as it turns out.

-Crews did talk a lot about the conference, praising its depth and toughness despite it not being one of the obvious power conferences. He said most of his players would consider St. Bonaventure to be the physically toughest team in the league, an answer that virtually no outsiders would expect. He talked about how playing a lot of teams only once a season means that each of those matchups is kind of a wild card - i.e. you don't spend any more time preparing for a conference opponent than you would an early-season non-conference buy opponent, and sometimes you wind up underprepared for an A10 game with a short turnaround. Not an excuse, by any means. He just seemed to like how 'back in the day,' he coached in conferences where they'd see everyone twice and really get to know the league top-to-bottom.

I think that covers just about all of it. Someone let me know if I missed something.

Just a general comment on Crews - he always seemed to have a reputation for being so tough, rigid, and ornery, but his tone was really light. I know part of that was the format, but I also think it's interesting that we've had two coaches in a row now who have these long, complex legacies as hard-nosed coaches but that they seem to have both softened as they started coaching here. Like some of the old stories about Majerus, the old stories about Crews from his Evansville and West Point days don't seem to fit the guy we see at SLU at all.

One more thing: Katz asked about Wisconsin and Wichita State, as SLU's only two losses came to (then) undefeated teams. Paraphrasing, Crews said of each:

-Wisconsin: Every year, they play incredibly tight defense, so it's practically a celebration any time you can get a three-pointer or layup. But he said his impression is that they're a better offensive team this season than ever before. They have guys (like Kaminsky and Dekker) who are matchup nightmares, and every guy on the team can shoot from outside. He also praised their spacing offensively, and said everyone is in the best possible space at all times, and that they pass so well.

-Wichita State: He thinks Ron Baker might be the best player we've seen all season. He says he's a 3 who basically brings the ball up and can do anything. He couldn't get over how fearless, composed, and smart he was in addition to being a really challenging guy to guard, no matter who you put on him. He says they're a great team overall but honestly spent most of his thoughts about WSU talking about Baker.