Here come the Big Boys

slu72

The new B12 commish hinted yesterday that the top 5-7 FB conferences would be better served by breaking away from the other D1 FB schools since the have nots block the bigs desires to feed $ to athletes. If they do, you can bet the farm BB players will want the same deal, ie spending money.

This issue makes it critical we get in the Beast, otherwise we risk irrelevancy.

I guess that paying athletes is how some in the big conferences see how they can break away from the NCAA and not face possible anti-trust action. I hope they understand that title IX will demand that that money gets spread out evenly among the women's sports and going this way will not lessen the political pressure that this possible move will face. While the TV money they could possibly get all for themselves would be massive, it pales in comparison to the money these schools get from the feds every year.

Washington, DC will come into play on this big time. Does anyone think that the big schools won't get pounded by congress and maybe the white house if they try to break away? There are a lot of alums of D1 and not BCS schools out there...

Washington, DC will come into play on this big time. Does anyone think that the big schools won't get pounded by congress and maybe the white house if they try to break away? There are a lot of alums of D1 and not BCS schools out there...

More than half of the US Senate would have their state or have their alma mater left out of the any break away by the big athletic programs.

The new B12 commish hinted yesterday that the top 5-7 FB conferences would be better served by breaking away from the other D1 FB schools since the have nots block the bigs desires to feed $ to athletes. If they do, you can bet the farm BB players will want the same deal, ie spending money.

This issue makes it critical we get in the Beast, otherwise we risk irrelevancy.

-I didn't see the article but have thought for some time this would happen and the big boys were just trying to find the right reason to do it

-I would love to read the ncaa tourney tv contract to see what outs CBS and Turner have and if this would be in there

I see the IRS charitable exemption come into play. With the amateur status gone, it is more like a business and less like an educational endeavor.

I see this as actually against the schools interest in that once the money starts to flow, you become more like minor league NFL and less like 'Oh, my alma mater, we love thee so!!' and the support/interest dries up, to an extent.

More than half of the US Senate would have their state or have their alma mater left out of the any break away by the big athletic programs.

It's a good thing they don't have anything else more important to worry about than college sports. Since they dealt with steroids in baseball the problem has totally been fixed!

This movement was hinted at in the SEC meetings. This new commish laid his cards on the table. Be interesting to see what the Big 10 will say on the subject. But if it starts w/FB it will spread to hoops. Face it the bigs aren't in this for "win one for the gripper". It's more "show me the money."

It's a good thing they don't have anything else more important to worry about than college sports. Since they dealt with steroids in baseball the problem has totally been fixed!

I agree that there are more important things to deal with. That said, congress can justifiably pay attention to this issue since colleges and universities get $70 billion a year in money from the feds. There are a lot of big research schools in the group that would break away that receive big amounts in federal research money. Washington, Stanford, Duke, Michigan, Pitt, and Wisconsin got $4.3 billion combined last year in research money from the feds.

This movement was hinted at in the SEC meetings. This new commish laid his cards on the table. Be interesting to see what the Big 10 will say on the subject. But if it starts w/FB it will spread to hoops. Face it the bigs aren't in this for "win one for the gripper". It's more "show me the money."

Delany from the B1G in the past has said they are against paying players. He's a smart man and knows the SEC has the system down pat from years of experience, and have an inherent advantage.

I don't view this as a serious threat that they will leave the NCAA. Rather they are threatening the NCAA to allow for the nominal payments to players which they believe will further separate the haves from the have-nots. Its negotiating 101.

I wish the NBA and the NFL would just pony up and create minor league systems rather than using college sports as de facto minor league systems. That way kids who just want money and want to make it to the League can go play in the minor leagues and kids who want an education can go to school. Schools should be in the education/research business and not in the minor league sports business.

I know a lot of talking heads would whine about the loss of talent and would say that the quality of play would take a big hit, but my opinion is who cares? College sports fans are mostly fans because they went to whatever college or have some connection to the college and therefore have a rooting interest in the team. Kansas fans will root for Andrew Wiggins because he plays for Kansas. Very few fans outside of Wiggins friends and family will root for Kansas because he plays for them.

The talking heads are dealing with what is important to them which is their viewership. The better the talent they are talking about the greater the viewership is or some other relationship like that. The talking heads are not interested in college sports per se, they are generally a lot more interested in what is good for them (ie. what attracts increased viewership).

I wish the NBA and the NFL would just pony up and create minor league systems rather than using college sports as de facto minor league systems. That way kids who just want money and want to make it to the League can go play in the minor leagues and kids who want an education can go to school. Schools should be in the education/research business and not in the minor league sports business.

I know a lot of talking heads would whine about the loss of talent and would say that the quality of play would take a big hit, but my opinion is who cares? College sports fans are mostly fans because they went to whatever college or have some connection to the college and therefore have a rooting interest in the team. Kansas fans will root for Andrew Wiggins because he plays for Kansas. Very few fans outside of Wiggins friends and family will root for Kansas because he plays for them.

-if they could make money on it I bet they would