No love for Baseball?

I don't follow Billiken baseball like I do basketball, but I did have the stats page up on my computer earlier today before I left the house. I think it Charlotte was up 1-0 when I left, so this is great news. Congrats to the BaseBills!!! Let's hope they keep it going in the A-10 tournament and make a little noise in the NCAAs.

Well, they've always called this city Baseball Heaven.

Congrats to the BaseBills, and do work in the conference tourney.

Would be great to see the Billikens in Omaha as a prelude to future posterior-kickings by SLU.

That would be absolutely amazing. We could have a huge Buffett there.

buffett2.jpg

Buffett, buffet. #inceptionbuffett

Caught the Baseball Bills at Ole Miss earlier in May. Played a good game aganist a ranked opponent. Game went 11 innings and Ole Miss just outlasted them with a deeper pitching bench.

So, Congratulations on that number 1 seed. Lets take this A10 Tourney and get into College World Series. I think with some of these Billiken hot pitchers they can make some noise.

I know this is an over played topic, but it's a little ridiculous that SLU baseball winning the A-10 did not even get a mention on StlToday.com. They have an article from May 10th about the softball team losing in the A-10 tournament, but they can't do a quick write up on the baseball team winning the A-10 regular season?

It did get some coverage on the news yesterday. I think it was channel 5 around 8 am. It was followed by Mizzou baseball with highlights from a weekend loss.

I know this is an over played topic, but it's a little ridiculous that SLU baseball winning the A-10 did not even get a mention on StlToday.com. They have an article from May 10th about the softball team losing in the A-10 tournament, but they can't do a quick write up on the baseball team winning the A-10 regular season?

There was a squib in either Saturday' or Sunday's Post. Stated that team has the no 1 seed at Charlotte

I don't follow college baseball much. What type of competition difference would there be with a switch to the Big East?

Not much different but a bit better. Seton Hall and Creighton are the best teams in the New Big East. Xavier and Butler would be decent teams in the NBE and they are not the A-10's best. The advantage for SLU would be to develop a rivalry with Creighton and maybe the new Big East (unlike the A10) could occasionally pick up an at-large bid.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/atl10/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/13baseseeds.pdf

SLU is the number one seed in the tournament. This should be a huge advantage. They are the only team with a first round bye.

FYI: Xavier beat GW today so that means SLU will play Xavier tomorrow in the 2nd round of the double elimination A-10 tourney.

I don't follow college baseball much. What type of competition difference would there be with a switch to the Big East?

Big East would be much better top to bottom. Not quite as good as the old C-USA days though. That league had some really good teams.

Big East would be much better top to bottom. Not quite as good as the old C-USA days though. That league had some really good teams.

The "current" Big East is a good baseball conference but that has very little to do with the New Big East. Seton Hall (good), St. John's (decent but SLU has better RPI and much better Boyd rankings), Georgetown (poor, RPI doormat like bottom of A-10), and Villanova (poor, RPI doormat) are the only 4 teams making the transition. The added members include Xavier and Butler who finished 4th and 10th in this years A-10. Creighton is a good program and will help. The NBE will be a bit better but it will likely be around 10th best conference.

Speaking of baseball, I hit against the 2011 Big 10 pitcher of the year from Mich St. His name is Kurt Wunderlich, he spent a couple of years in the Oakland system. I think i faced him 8 times and put the ball in play twice. He estimated he was throwing 85 or so. It's amazing how good he was and then you figure he never made it out of Rookie ball. How good are the guys we think suck that can't make it out of AAA or even AA.

St. Johns is having a down year. Historically they are a top 20 program year in and year out.

They had a brutal OOC schedule that really them the rest of the way, going 1-10 in their spring trip. They basically flipped spots with Pitt this year, a program that needed a big year going into the ACC. Pitt swept the Johnnies in Queens this year. John Franco couldn't even help.

I said they were down this year but historically are very good. The A-10 is not a good baseball conference especially since Charlotte is leaving and Xavier.

Absolutely right about that... and VCU - Old Dominion isn't what it used to be since VCU left the Colonial.