You want a top 20 team?

mbart33

Weird, I thought we were ranked in the top 20 this year.

Agreed.

Other than the unattainable, Coach K, Tom Izzo, etc it isn't easy to objectively judge a top coach.

I can't think of a single available coach that would "guaranteed" do a better job than Crews.

No question but the point was missed by you. Give me a name of a "top 20" coach that would be a fit for the Billikens. Fit meaning budget as well.

Well then you've already disqualified the field. You're not going to get a top 20 coach on (what I assume is) SLU's budget. That doesn't mean there aren't better coaches available, though. SLU just has to be willing to make more of a financial commitment to its program.

No question but the point was missed by you. Give me a name of a "top 20" coach that would be a fit for the Billikens. Fit meaning budget as well.

There are over three hundred D1 programs. Jim Crews may well be in the top 100 based on no recent recruiting history and last years run. The question is are we content with what I believe to be the limited upside or downside potential of Jim Crews or do we swing for the fences with and unproven assistant who could be the next Stevens or does Chaifets or whomever pull a really expensive rabbit out of the hat.

All of the above could lead to disaster. All could work out really well. I'd prefer the last two. Any of the above could be a top twenty coach next year.

OK humor us with names of Coaches that you are 100% positive would have interest in bringing their vast talents to SLU as our next HC.

I'd guess any assistant coach anywhere and most of the coaches at the D2 and D3 level. Fortunately I'm not in charge of the search. Please give me your evidence that we've got no better options. Anything? No one could possibly be better than Jim Crews? Really? C,mon man.

I'd guess any assistant coach anywhere and most of the coaches at the D2 and D3 level. Fortunately I'm not in charge of the search. Please give me your evidence that we've got no better options. Anything? No one could possibly be better than Jim Crews? Really? C,mon man.

So you are ready to turn the keys over to an unproven Assistant Coach...not me! Unless the SLU hierarchy has a proven HC battle tested who is ready to take over the reigns then I am fine with Coach Crews as permanent HC.

It's Easter, can we stop these stupid threads for at least one day. Same subject already discussed. Go to church and pray for a Top 20 program.

Praying for a top 20 team is a waste of prayer points.

If you are going to pray for anything pray for a top 10 program.

I liked the rumor that J. Walker was going to be hired as assoc HC and take over in 2-3 years. I'll leave it up to you locals as to what you think about JW, but the concept of a succession plan sounds great. However, to get him away from Illinois would probably cost about $250k, maybe a little more. I guess that's the going rate for top AC these days. That would have FR B turning 80 shades of white. Anyone have any indication whether there's any fire to this smoke about JW?

I think a really important question was asked in this thread that no one has answered. Is there a coach alive that would come to SLU that would guaranty SLU would be a Top 20 program? Even if you take the budget considerations out the equation, I still say the answer is "no".

There are probably only a dozen or less truly elite coaches in college basketball that I believe would succeed anywhere (Izzo, K, Williams, Self, Pitino, Donovan, etc.). None of those coaches is leaving there current job to come to SLU, regardless of money.

So then you look at other existing head coaches that are just outside that elite status. This list is huge, so I won't begin to name them all. If these coaches are in a BCS conference and not elite, I would question "why aren't they elite with the resources they have available to them?". Would their level of success be the same or worse at SLU where they are not in a BCS conference and don't have the resources a football program brings to an athletic department? I'm not saying none of these coaches could win at SLU, but I think these are real concerns that need to be considered. And that is assuming you could even get them to leave to come to SLU.

Then you have the coaches having great success at smaller programs. Frankly, this list is more promising that the BCS coaches. But it is certainly not without risk. Every year there are coaches that turn Cinderella runs into a better job at a bigger school. For every one of those that ends up being considered a "good hire", there is another one that is fired within 3-4 years. That is not great odds.

Lastly, you look at the hot young assistants. I admittedly don't have the statistics to back this up, but how many of those would you estimate actually work out? 25%? Maybe. How many Top 20 programs have you seen hire a Top Assistant (unless it's from their own program)? Not very many. To me, this is the biggest gamble you can take.

None of this is to say you don't look for the right fit in each of these groups. Absolutely, you should look. But there are no guaranties.

So where does Crews fit into these groups. I would put him somewhere between the BCS coaches that are not elite and the successful small program coaches. I think we all questioned some of his game plans and in-game coaching at times this year, but that can probably be said of almost every coach in the country. I think the bigger concern is can he recruit. And none of us now the answer to that. His track record in recruiting raises questions, no doubt. But for him, SLU would be the best school he has ever had the opportunity to recruit to. He has never been at a program with this high quality of facilities, with this high of the current state and profile of the program. We are right to question his recruiting abilities, but this program is set up for a even a mediocre recruiter to do pretty well.

So is Crews the right man for the job? I don't know. I think we are set up to have another great year next year if the same system is in place. If a new coach changes the system, it with probably just be an OK year until he can get his guys into school. I believe Crews will keep Majerus' system in place with only minor tweaks. With that, we should be able to finish at the top of the A10 again next year and make a 3rd consecutive trip to the NCAAs. Again, another step to stabilizing the program as a winner and helping to bring in new recruits.

Some have said Crews is the low risk hire and they want SLU to be more aggressive. I disagree. I think this may be a rare point in Billiken history where keeping as close to the the status quo is the right decision. So, maybe you keep Crews but give him the budget to hire a top notch coaching staff.

Just my humble opinion. Now feel free to rip me to shreds.

Uggghhh! Way to start a completely unnecessary thread on a topic that has been reheated and overdone way too much on this board. Couldn't this opinion just have been put into the dozens of other 'Head Coach' threads we have floating around?

Uggghhh! Way to start a completely unnecessary thread on a topic that has been reheated and overdone way too much on this board. Couldn't this opinion just have been put into the dozens of other 'Head Coach' threads we have floating around?

No, it's so incredibly critical and urgent that we needed a brand new thread.