This is getting old

@Pistol, based on my limited knowlege and some inside information. this has already been happening for over a year. Sad situation.

I've heard the same. I'm just hoping it stops soon. It's hard to see the value of my SLU diploma diluting because a little emperor is running everyone worth a damn out of town.

The quality of student is going to suffer as well. Can you imagine visiting a campus and seeing students calling for the ouster of the school president? You'd probably pick another school.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard the same. I'm just hoping it stops soon. It's hard to see the value of my SLU diploma diluting because a little emperor is running everyone worth a damn out of town.

The quality of student is going to suffer as well. Can you imagine visiting a campus and seeing students calling for the ouster of the school president? You'd probably pick another school.

We'd be our own little Midwest Berkeley! Come for the academics, stay for the protest.

Again, another alum equating real estate development with progress. Yes, the campus itself has improved immensely during Biondi's tenure. I'd trade statues and manicured lawns for improved rankings any day.

And guess what? A lot of excellent faculty members who don't like their boss are leaving. Good luck attracting talented replacements.

Why not address the problem instead of just portraying the faculty and students as a bunch of whiners?

Biondi gets WAY overrated for the transformation of Midtown. The arguments his defenders have left at this point are basically: 1. "The faculty and students protesting are a bunch of whiners" and 2. "Yeah, but SLU's campus and the area are SO much nicer than they were when he took over."

I don't think using massive tax breaks and buying land that the City basically gave away to expand a small, landlocked campus signals that he's any sort of brilliant strategist. Anyone in his position worth a damn would have done the same, and arguably a better job. He tore down a lot of solid buildings for surface lots that go entirely unused by the University. Some of the expansion has been a great success; other parts have been as useless as the vacancy they replaced. And much of the Midtown revitalization has come from other people and organizations. Has he helped change the area around the University? Sure. But anyone could have done the same and probably a better long-term job.

(By the way, I won't dredge up the Pevely building thread, but there's a huge pile of rubble on Grand. Hate to say I told you so, Biondi defenders.)

Wow. Very troubling, to say the least. Printed confirmation that he's got a team of petulant yes men at the top to keep him safe.

jesus. i wonder if the first trustee response's "your/you're" BUTTFUOKERY is accurately reported. that's just ridiculous. how do we throw down the gauntlet further? i mean what are the big FUOK YOU steps that we need to take to get him out? does a vote of "no confidence" truly mean nothing? it's getting insane. this man has lost touch, and obviously has a bunch of cronies to safely keep him from accountability. he has to go. literally every person underneath him, from the trustees to the faculty to the students are scared of him. he's kicking around his dogs in the backyard and the motherfuoker needs to get bitten.

oh, here's an anecdote to get you guys going further:

i used to think this was funny/awesome, but now i see it as a perfect microcosm of biondi being a power monger. i have two friends that went to SLU and committed some infraction against the university (i forget what it was, but it wasn't that serious). they were called personally into biondi's office where he threatened to expel them while wielding a fuoking broadsword or something. it's been years since they told me the story, and we were drunk in the first place, but i've no doubt it's true. he really thinks he's some kind of king or mafia don. GET HIM OUT.

When things like what are happening at Slu occur, qualified professors apply for jobs that they otherwise wouldn't have. Once ND asks you to join them, you go, no matter what Biondi does. Professors who can go do. The ones that can leave are the ones ypu want to stay. The only way to keep them is to make them happy enough that they never apply.

So who stays? Those folks that nobody wants. Make no mistake, if this trend continues, SLU will be much worse off for it.

When things like what are happening at Slu occur, qualified professors apply for jobs that they otherwise wouldn't have. Once ND asks you to join them, you go, no matter what Biondi does. Professors who can go do. The ones that can leave are the ones ypu want to stay. The only way to keep them is to make them happy enough that they never apply.

So who stays? Those folks that nobody wants. Make no mistake, if this trend continues, SLU will be much worse off for it.

Well, as a former faculty brat whose old man stayed through thick and thin, I think you painted this one with a bit of a broad brush. I'd suggest that a fairly large number of those staying are doing so, even when they do nose around for outside offers, because teaching at SLU has become their calling.

Well, as a former faculty brat whose old man stayed through thick and thin, I think you painted this one with a bit of a broad brush. I'd suggest that a fairly large number of those staying are doing so, even when they do nose around for outside offers, because teaching at SLU has become their calling.

Some of the best and brightest law faculty have turned down more prominent positions at other schools. Yes, some have left. However, excellent faculty remain at SLU.

Agree with most of the above. There are long-term consequences in play here. Ranking and academic prestige are sliding. Top faculty are leaving or are looking for a way out. I don't know how reasonable it is for current students to transfer, but it seems to me that students are increasingly looking to other schools for their post-graduate education (I did). And the local buzz around SLU is increasingly negative; I know I wouldn't encourage anyone to attend in this climate. Alumni aren't giving, and young alumni have no future plans to give.

It's just sad to see my alma mater taking blow after blow, with no real resolution in sight. But there is some merit to AlumniFan's argument: if you don't like SLU, go somewhere else. If you're already at SLU, look elsewhere for post-graduate education (if you intend to pursue it). In other words, associate with a school that you're happy with, and proud of. And right now - for me, at least - SLU is neither of those things. Though hopefully we can right the ship sooner than later.

jesus. i wonder if the first trustee response's "your/you're" BUTTFUOKERY is accurately reported. that's just ridiculous. how do we throw down the gauntlet further? i mean what are the big FUOK YOU steps that we need to take to get him out? does a vote of "no confidence" truly mean nothing? it's getting insane. this man has lost touch, and obviously has a bunch of cronies to safely keep him from accountability. he has to go. literally every person underneath him, from the trustees to the faculty to the students are scared of him. he's kicking around his dogs in the backyard and the motherfuoker needs to get bitten.

oh, here's an anecdote to get you guys going further:

i used to think this was funny/awesome, but now i see it as a perfect microcosm of biondi being a power monger. i have two friends that went to SLU and committed some infraction against the university (i forget what it was, but it wasn't that serious). they were called personally into biondi's office where he threatened to expel them while wielding a fuoking broadsword or something. it's been years since they told me the story, and we were drunk in the first place, but i've no doubt it's true. he really thinks he's some kind of king or mafia don. GET HIM OUT.

The biondi/sword story is true. I know the two guys, and I was with them up until about 5mins before they got in trouble. Biondi went all "are you not grateful for what I have given you" on them. Giving them because they got financial aid and would dare do anything drunk and stupid. He pulled out the "Sword of Loyola" and held it while he threatened to expel them. They were both seniors like 3 weeks away from graduating, and they held their degrees until like late summer until they paid a huge fine. I mean...who does this? This is out of like Game of Thrones.

The biondi/sword story is true. I know the two guys, and I was with them up until about 5mins before they got in trouble. Biondi went all "are you not grateful for what I have given you" on them. Giving them ###### because they got financial aid and would dare do anything drunk and stupid. He pulled out the "Sword of Loyola" and held it while he threatened to expel them. They were both seniors like 3 weeks away from graduating, and they held their degrees until like late summer until they paid a huge fine. I mean...who does this? This is out of like Game of Thrones.

Yep, that's it. Real standup sh!t on Biondi's part. You know he was just loving it. Something tells me Fr. Reinert wouldn't have treated them that way. Granted, Richard Chaifetz had done nothing wrong, other than not have money for tuition, when he went to Fr. Reinert pleading to stay at SLU. But I'm thinking he probably would have never even made it into Biondi's office.

I get some of the comments here, but she definitely has a point. If you don't like the job, quit whining and leave.

Why not address the problem instead of just portraying the faculty and students as a bunch of whiners?

I really hesitate to get involved in this, but first: thanks to Box, for standing in there with us and stating the obvious.

AlumniFan: first, people are leaving. But leaving is not the answer; except maybe for cowards (or strapped professionals offered an immediate 40% pay raise). so 2nd, I do not really think most people want to work at a job where they have zero input into how it is run. Are you espousing that view? You say if you complain you would get fired? well, is that as it should be? because I think we are saying the heck with that. We are the faculty, and supposedly we are part of a shared governance set-up. Supposedly we have a say. if you do work somewhere that is completely autocratic -- my way or the highway --then I pity you. My argument is, that is not how the best companies and s on are being run. Maybe you ought to speak up a little more, or build a consensus. Anyway, that model is not the premise of higher education; it's also not how it is spelled out in the faculty manual at SLU.

I think what is most encouraging in this thread is this: many of you are starting to get the problem. Belive me, there are some nutty folks teaching in today's universities. but the vast majority of my colleagues are very decent and brilliant and hard-working, dedicated to SLU professionals. I'm just so sick and tired of know-nothings out there labelling us all as a bunch of whiners, it's my way or the highway; and if you don't like it get the hell out. sounds like Sen. McCarthy.

ps: the sword story is true, I know the students; and anyway there are 99 for every one known to the public...

Why hasn't the new Pope removed Biondi yet and "redistributed" him to Asia or the Middle East. At least take away his personal servant, stocked liquor bar, Lexus, and his fleet of golf carts.

I could def. see the new Pope confiscating the sword of loyola, too...just to make a point

Since this has somewhat developed into a Biondi story thread, did anyone else catch when Biondi showed up at the VCU game at Chaifetz wearing a fake mustache? It was pretty fantastic.

Also, here's my favorite Biondi joke. I reiterate, it's a joke, not a real story.

A guy shows up at a church and goes into the confessional. He says "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I robbed a bank and used the money to buy a Lexus." The priest, upon hearing this, asks, "What's a Lexus?" The guy leaves. He finds another priest, and enters their confessional, again saying "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I robbed a bank and used the money to buy a Lexus." This priest responds, "What's a Lexus?" With that, the guy leaves. Eventually, he finds Father Biondi. The guy walks into Father Biondi's confessional and says "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I robbed a bank and used the money to buy a Lexus."

Father Biondi responds, "Did you buy the 6 cylinder or the 8?"

Since this has somewhat developed into a Biondi story thread, did anyone else catch when Biondi showed up at the VCU game at Chaifetz wearing a fake mustache? It was pretty fantastic.

Also, here's my favorite Biondi joke. I reiterate, it's a joke, not a real story.

A guy shows up at a church and goes into the confessional. He says "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I robbed a bank and used the money to buy a Lexus." The priest, upon hearing this, asks, "What's a Lexus?" The guy leaves. He finds another priest, and enters their confessional, again saying "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I robbed a bank and used the money to buy a Lexus." This priest responds, "What's a Lexus?" With that, the guy leaves. Eventually, he finds Father Biondi. The guy walks into Father Biondi's confessional and says "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I robbed a bank and used the money to buy a Lexus."

Father Biondi responds, "Did you buy the 6 cylinder or the 8?"

Love it!

The more I think about it the more I love that story. It's just badass! I'm quite sure the message came through load and clear.

The last student who had a sword brandished at him by the president of a unversity probably happened in 1645 in Hungary. OLD OLD OLD SCHOOL!

The more I think about it the more I love that story. It's just badass! I'm quite sure the message came through load and clear.

The last student who had a sword brandished at him by the president of a unversity probably happened in 1645 in Hungary. OLD OLD OLD SCHOOL!

yeah, but he's a priest. if he wants to wield a weapon like that, in a threatening manner, you have every right to hop over that desk and stomp the fuok out of his hypocrite ass. as rammer says, "YOU WANNA PLAY ROUGH!?!? LET'S PLAY ROUGH!!!"

i know a lot of wonderful priests, but i think i'd like very much to fight biondi.

yeah, but he's a priest. if he wants to wield a weapon like that, in a threatening manner, you have every right to hop over that desk and stomp the fuok out of his hypocrite ass. as rammer says, "YOU WANNA PLAY ROUGH!?!? LET'S PLAY ROUGH!!!"

i know a lot of wonderful priests, but i think i'd like very much to fight biondi.

oh. and before anyone gets all cockstrong about fighting priests, i just googled "is it bad juju to fight a priest?" and got nothing substantial in return. so i'm in the clear and the sh!thead can meet me in salina, ks.