Prospective Head Coaches

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put whatever percentage chance on it you want. I'm not saying its definitely going to happen, just that it very well could. He has connections to St. Louis and there have been reports that he will not renew his contract with ESPN.

Assuming Bobby was a viable option, at age 72, he'd probably need to have an associate head coach (not his son Pat) lined up to come with him to take over after a few years, like SMU did when they hired Larry Brown and got Tim Jankovich to leave Illinois State for the head coach in waiting job at SMU.

Assuming Bobby was a viable option, at age 72, he'd probably need to have an associate head coach (not his son Pat) lined up to come with him to take over after a few years, like SMU did when they hired Larry Brown and got Tim Jankovich to leave Illinois State for the head coach in waiting job at SMU.

I would like Bob Knight !! Also, he could hire Jim Crews as his assistant !! Seamless transition... Still sign JC 's recruits...

Howland has nearly 400 wins and is 55 years old (not too bad). Three consecutive final fours on his resume.

He was making $2 million a season, pretty steep. He will be getting paid $3.2 million in a buyout of his contract. Does he still get the $3.2 million if he takes another job?

Howland has just been fired, per SI's Seth Davis.

If Crews doesn't get the job Howland is at the top of my realistic wish list.

He turned Northern Arizona around, Built Pitt into the program it is today (Dixon continued what Howland started), and other than three bad seasons out of ten did a pretty good job at UCLA.

Took all three programs to the tournament.

Northern Arizona

Went 9-17 his first year there. The last three they went 21-7, 21-8, and 21-8 with an Nit appearance, a NCAA appearance, and two conference titles.

Pitt

In his four years there he went in order 13-15, 19-14, 29-6, and 28-5 with 1 Nit appearance, 2 NCAA sweet 16 appearances, a conference title, and a conference tournament title.

UCLA

In his ten seasons at UCLA he took them to 7 NCAA tournaments, 3 Final Fours (One they were the NCAA runner up), 4 conference titles, and 2 conference tournament titles.

So to recap

- Turned around 3 programs

- Taken all 3 programs to the NCAA tournament

- Has been to the NCAA tournament 10 times (SLU has been to the tournament 8 times in our history)

- Has 7 conference championships (SLU has 6 all time)

- Has 3 conference tournament championships (SLU has 2)

- Been to the Final Four 3 times

- Been in the National Title game once

- All time record of 398-205 with a winning record at every stop.

- Big Sky Coach of the year

- Big East Coach of the year

- Pac 10 Coach of the year

- Henry Iba Award

- Naismith Coach of the year.

- Can tell recruits he helped 11 players into the NBA.

Only potential downside I see is that he is 55 years old and we would probably only have him for 10 to 12 years at the most. Of course in the college coaching world 10+ years is pretty solid.

Howland would be another home-run hire if we can get him. I'm sure more than one program will be after him.

I would think he still gets the $3.2MM. I wonder how many other programs are in the hunt for a new coach this season.

Looking at Hot Seat Index (CBS) you got possible coaching hires at Washington State, Oregon State, Arizona State, USC, Wake Forest, Minnesota, Auburn, Ole Miss (though they made it to round of 32). Didn't look at non power conferences.

Howland was done in at UCLA by the fact that he recruited some talented players with bad attitudes who behaved badly as well. It sounds like when he was at Pitt, he focused on getting the right players that fit his system, which led to success. In his first 5 years at UCLA, he did the same, only the players he was getting were very talented. If a young player acted immature, there were upperclassmen who could keep them in line. In the last few years, it's been a little more of a mix, with some players with good attitudes and others that were more of a problem.

I think because of the pressure to win big at UCLA, Howland felt compelled to go after these 5 star recruits who would be one and done players. Some fit in well (Kevin Love and Jrue Holliday), while others didn't work out (Shabazz Muhammad). At SLU, he could do more of what he did to build up Pitt's program.

One other thing about Howland is that he and Majerus were friends. Howland considered Majerus to be a mentor, and when he was at Northern Arizona, Howland and Jamie Dixon sought out Majerus for advice on how to improve that program. He would have a common bond with the Majerus players, and could probably do things in a way that wasn't a slight to the way Majerus built things at SLU.

If Crews doesn't get the job Howland is at the top of my realistic wish list.

He turned Northern Arizona around, Built Pitt into the program it is today (Dixon continued what Howland started), and other than three bad seasons out of ten did a pretty good job at UCLA.

Took all three programs to the tournament.

Northern Arizona

Went 9-17 his first year there. The last three they went 21-7, 21-8, and 21-8 with an Nit appearance, a NCAA appearance, and two conference titles.

Pitt

In his four years there he went in order 13-15, 19-14, 29-6, and 28-5 with 1 Nit appearance, 2 NCAA sweet 16 appearances, a conference title, and a conference tournament title.

UCLA

In his ten seasons at UCLA he took them to 7 NCAA tournaments, 3 Final Fours (One they were the NCAA runner up), 4 conference titles, and 2 conference tournament titles.

So to recap

- Turned around 3 programs

- Taken all 3 programs to the NCAA tournament

- Has been to the NCAA tournament 10 times (SLU has been to the tournament 8 times in our history)

- Has 7 conference championships (SLU has 6 all time)

- Has 3 conference tournament championships (SLU has 2)

- Been to the Final Four 3 times

- Been in the National Title game once

- All time record of 398-205 with a winning record at every stop.

- Big Sky Coach of the year

- Big East Coach of the year

- Pac 10 Coach of the year

- Henry Iba Award

- Naismith Coach of the year.

- Can tell recruits he helped 11 players into the NBA.

Only potential downside I see is that he is 55 years old and we would probably only have him for 10 to 12 years at the most. Of course in the college coaching world 10+ years is pretty solid.

Howland would be another home-run hire if we can get him. I'm sure more than one program will be after him.

Also did some Howland wiki-ing, would be a monster get. Maybe if we were in the new BE... seriously, does anyone think he comes here if we're relegated to the A-10 for considerable future? Might be a stretch

Also did some Howland wiki-ing, would be a monster get. Maybe if we were in the new BE... seriously, does anyone think he comes here if we're relegated to the A-10 for considerable future? Might be a stretch

If the money is right, he'll coach on mars.

Put whatever percentage chance on it you want. I'm not saying its definitely going to happen, just that it very well could. He has connections to St. Louis and there have been reports that he will not renew his contract with ESPN.

This might be a dumb question, but what are Knight's St. Louis connections?

This might be a dumb question, but what are Knight's St. Louis connections?

I was wondering the same thing. I met him at tower tee once when he was in town for LaRussa's golf tournament.