HC Selection Timeline

I am suggesting that you identify someone in a mid-major conference who is a rising star as a coach and recruiter who is not ready to be the head coach yet and knows it. He would need to have some connections in the AAU circuit and real ability to identify good players and close on them. Such a guy may not exist, but I suspect that you could find one. Crews should be involved in identifying and hiring the guy so that they would be compatible and excited about working together. I suspect that if Crews does want the job, he won't stay around for more than 4-5 years, which is the perfect amount of time for an apprentice.

I will agree that the siutation is difficult. The returning senior class is really good, and I believe that the team next year has a chance to match or exceed the performance of this year's team. It doesn't seem like there is much star power behind the returning senior class, particularly with the loss of the highly regarded freshman whose name escapes me. They need some firepower. Bernie's Saturday column suggested that some good recruits were about to commit. If that is the case, it seems like Crews makes a lot of sense. He clearly has the devotion and respect of the senior class to be. Obviously, if the money people have a star-calber guy lined up who wants the job they should pull the trigger, but I am wondering where the Majerus type guy is this time around.

I see a lot of people mentioning Marshall from Wichita State, but I seriously doubt that he comes here, even if big $$$ are offered. He has been a hot coaching prospect the last 2 or 3 years, and as I recall, Wichita St. has bucked up and paid him, and much like Brad Stevens at Butler, Marshall is really happy where he is and is getting paid really well.

If this young hot asst coach you are talking about comes and the Crews regime fails then he is out on his ear - no cost benefit for him to come on a deal like that. Please post the link from Bernie M about all these good recruits are about to commit - I have read Bernie's columns and do not remember him saying anything of the such.

Why do so many on this Board put their head in the sand with respect to the level of support, financial and otherwise, for our basketball program?

I state the following as a reality check - not to be negative. For those who are still intoxicated with all the Blue Kool-aid you have been downing all year, and for those who believe it is too soon to discuss these topics, and for those who only want to read positive and overly optimistic thoughts, then I am warning you: STOP READING!!

1. JC did a great job this year under extreme circumstances and probably was the best person for the job. Congratulations Jim. I was wrong about you earlier in the year.

2. This was the best Billiken season I have ever witnessed and I go back to the hiring of Grawer.

3. I am thankful for Fr. Biondi in finally getting us the new arena and for Dr. C and others in hiring RM

4. I am thankful for RM for getting us to heights we are at -- higher than I thought before RM.

5. I am thankful for BC, KM, CE and all the others who chose to come here to SLU, who gave SLU all they had and for this year's Bills who chose to stay and give JC all they had.

With all that said, we won only one (1) game in the NCAA Tourney and this was "our year." We are without our HOF coach, KM and CE and we only have our super Juniors for one (1) more year. We beat Butler three (3) times and certainly should be proud of that accomplishment but this was Butler's "down" year, they are reloading, they have a really special coach, they are going to the new BE next year and even in their down year, they went as far as we did -- and lost to a tough Marquette team by only 2 points on a game which could have gone either way. Butler played great yesterday -- better than their talent would suggest. They were one shot away from another Sweet Sixteen in their down year -- not a 20 point blowout loser -- and they still have two (2) Championship Final appearances on their resume.

As to Xavier, they lost all their major contributors last year to graduation and transfers, this was to be a total rebuilding year and yet they still were a factor in the A10, they beat us again this year despite our Junior/Senior laden team and they came close to make the NCAA Tourney. They are now reloading, they also are going to the new Big East and they have a string of NCAA Tourney appearances, including Sweet Sixteen and Elite 8 appearances on their resume.

Not only are we not on the level of Butler or Xavier but as per the financial figures on the prior thread, we have a budget of $3.1 million (and this is with Dr. C and Novelly) while Marquette, Georgetown and Villanova have well-known coaches, sustained success and budgets hovering $10 million while Villanova has a budget of $7 million. The Marquette we knew at the end of Conference USA is long gone. In the midst of this, we are hoping a guy like Jim Crews will keep the sustained growth, accomplishments and upward trend (which RM put in place) all because Crews somehow knows RM's system and can keep this going? Really?? Other than hope and prior accomplishments by RM, what gives everyone the optimism that Crews can and will coach different than his track record suggests? Other than the home runs we hit by the big splash hirings of veteran coaches of Spoon and RM, there is nothing to suggest that SLU will maintain the success its has enjoyed these past two (2) years by returning to its fiscally conservative ways, its small-minded approach to hiring coaches and the belief that recruits and success will come without a truly special coach. We are at a crossroad and need to hit another home run!!

You have hit the nail on the head!

If Crews doesn't want the job or we decide to go another direction I hope we make Ben Howland a strong offer. Apparently things aren't great for him at UCLA and despite being a tournament team again he might be let go. Howland is the one who built Pitt before Dixon took over.

I would link to his wikipedia page but I'm on my phone. I think if we could get him he would be a home run replacement.

Fire May first. We don't need that bald faggat fuoking up this hire like he fuoked up our chance to get into the conference we'ave always wanted.

Take it easy. The conference thing isn't settled. We haven't lost our chance.

Based on this and several of your other posts today, you're not taking the loss well. No one's happy about this, but you don't need to blow up like you are doing.

Take it easy. The conference thing isn't settled. We haven't lost our chance.

Based on this and several of your other posts today, you're not taking the loss well. No one's happy about this, but you don't need to blow up like you are doing.

+ 1

Also the use of a homophobic slur shows a noted lack of maturity.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I am past denial and firmly entrenched in anger.

You and others are being idiots. You foremost amongst them with your tirade. Emotion is obviously clouding your judgement.

I really hope we aren't distracted by shiny objects like a hot shot top assistant (Tim Fuller) and pipe dreams.

Chappy, on 24 Mar 2013 - 12:32, said:snapback.png

I am suggesting that you identify someone in a mid-major conference who is a rising star as a coach and recruiter who is not ready to be the head coach yet and knows it. He would need to have some connections in the AAU circuit and real ability to identify good players and close on them. Such a guy may not exist, but I suspect that you could find one. Crews should be involved in identifying and hiring the guy so that they would be compatible and excited about working together. I suspect that if Crews does want the job, he won't stay around for more than 4-5 years, which is the perfect amount of time for an apprentice.

I will agree that the siutation is difficult. The returning senior class is really good, and I believe that the team next year has a chance to match or exceed the performance of this year's team. It doesn't seem like there is much star power behind the returning senior class, particularly with the loss of the highly regarded freshman whose name escapes me. They need some firepower. Bernie's Saturday column suggested that some good recruits were about to commit. If that is the case, it seems like Crews makes a lot of sense. He clearly has the devotion and respect of the senior class to be. Obviously, if the money people have a star-calber guy lined up who wants the job they should pull the trigger, but I am wondering where the Majerus type guy is this time around.

I see a lot of people mentioning Marshall from Wichita State, but I seriously doubt that he comes here, even if big $$$ are offered. He has been a hot coaching prospect the last 2 or 3 years, and as I recall, Wichita St. has bucked up and paid him, and much like Brad Stevens at Butler, Marshall is really happy where he is and is getting paid really well.

If this young hot asst coach you are talking about comes and the Crews regime fails then he is out on his ear - no cost benefit for him to come on a deal like that. Please post the link from Bernie M about all these good recruits are about to commit - I have read Bernie's columns and do not remember him saying anything of the such.

You may be right. This hypothetical guy would have to be someone who likes and believes in Crews. Who knows if Crews even wants the job. If he does, I think it would be hard to tell him no.

Look at Bernie's column from yesterday morning. Here is the link:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-slu-getting-a-bad-break/article_cc534973-7070-544f-915c-28633072442e.html

Here is the relevant portion:

Let's not finesse this.

The stakes are huge for SLU.

At least publicly, interim coach Jim Crews’ future is uncertain. If Crews wants to keep the job, what would it mean for him to get SLU to the Sweet 16?

SLU is also angling for membership in the new Big East; a deep tournament run would strengthen the program’s credibility and appeal.

Money is on the line, too. SLU stands to collect a larger share of revenue by making it to the next round.

Crews and staff are recruiting and have gained momentum with coveted prospects including two at the JUCO level, and high-school players in the St. Louis area. Reaching the Sweet 16 would likely make SLU more enticing for recruits.

If the Billikens can’t beat Oregon, their season would go down as a disappointment. That’s harsh but true.

“It’s a big deal,” SLU director of athletics Chris May said. “Last year, we were just thrilled to be here. And we got a little energy from the win over Memphis. But everybody knows this is a big deal. To take the next step in the building process, you’ve got to get to the second week of the tournament.

“Get to the second week, and it’s all there and anything can happen. There’s no question. Jim won’t talk about it, the kids won’t talk about it. But everybody knows.”

Clock,

While I agree with much of what you say let's not over inflate Butler in a "down" year. They had two very good seniors in Smith and Clarke. This was not a group of Freshman. Moreover why was this a down year, last year was a down year. Why didn't Stevens recruit better ? If it were SLU you can bet people would be saying how horrible his recruiting years were after two NCAA championship game appearances.....

If our goal is to have another great season next year, then i think we need to hire JC. If our goal is to build the program further and take things to the next level, then we need to look for an even better Coach than JC.

What JC did this year was remarkable. I honestly don't think many Coaches would have pulled it off. It could have been a complete disaster. He overcame all the adversity, he had the team playing stellar defense, and I think they looked even looser on offense than the previous year. We got smoked by Oregon, but it was an off game and that happens. Hats off to JC for the A-10 Title and A-10 Tourney Title.

Now it comes down to risk assessment. Is the future better and program continuing in the right direction from here on out better off with or without JC? Personally, I think as great as JC was this year, we can find somebody even better to take things to the next level. Arguments can be made both ways, but in the end I think can do better.

If Crews doesn't want the job or we decide to go another direction I hope we make Ben Howland a strong offer. Apparently things aren't great for him at UCLA and despite being a tournament team again he might be let go. Howland is the one who built Pitt before Dixon took over.

I would link to his wikipedia page but I'm on my phone. I think if we could get him he would be a home run replacement.

Therein lies the difference between UCLA (or any blue-blood) and SLU. We're happy with a tournament team. They fire coaches for "making the tournament" if they aren't in the Final Four. The expectations are markedly different. We had a good year...but blue-blood fan bases don't consider anything short of the Final Four worthy.

You and others are being idiots. You foremost amongst them with your tirade. Emotion is obviously clouding your judgement.

I really hope we aren't distracted by shiny objects like a hot shot top assistant (Tim Fuller) and pipe dreams.

+1

I admit that emotion is clouding my judgement, but nothing I have said is idiotic. It is not idiotic to suggest that our team was ill-prepared for last night's game and that Crews showed last night that he doesn't deserve to be head coach. It is not idiotic to blame the AD for costing us our shot at the conference. Some of you are still holding out for the league going to 12 teams, but the fact is, we got out maneuvered by a school that is roughly 50 media-markets smaller and 400 miles farther away from us. Crews and May need to go, and Biondi does too if he doesn't take care of it soon.

I admit that emotion is clouding my judgement, but nothing I have said is idiotic. It is not idiotic to suggest that our team was ill-prepared for last night's game and that Crews showed last night that he doesn't deserve to be head coach. It is not idiotic to blame the AD for costing us our shot at the conference. Some of you are still holding out for the league going to 12 teams, but the fact is, we got out maneuvered by a school that is roughly 50 media-markets smaller and 400 miles farther away from us. Crews and May need to go, and Biondi does too if he doesn't take care of it soon.

Yes it is because unless you are in the NBE meetings or working in the SLU AD then you are in the dark regarding what is going to happen just like the rest of us. Yet you haven't let that lack of knowledge restrain you from making bold, ignorant statements. That's called idiotic. I guess Coach Majerus should've been fired after the record breaking loss to GWU it just proved he didn't have the team ready and couldn't coach.

Yes it is because unless you are in the NBE meetings or working in the SLU AD then you are in the dark regarding what is going to happen just like the rest of us. Yet you haven't let that lack of knowledge restrain you from making bold, ignorant statements. That's called idiotic. I guess Coach Majerus should've been fired after the record breaking loss to GWU it just proved he didn't have the team ready and couldn't coach.

1. Even if we still get it, there is no way we should have let Creighton jump us. I have already stated the reasons why.

2. Comparing this game to the GW game is idiotic

I don't understand why people keep running to the "Majerus" 20-point game. Wasn't that only his second season here? He was still basically working with a team that was only half-his, and his system was not yet fully in place. We were still climbing out of the hole that Brad Soderberg dug this program into. The same type of hole, I might add, that we will find ourselves in again if Jim Crews is not immediately replaced with a more capable recruiter.

Why do so many on this Board put their head in the sand with respect to the level of support, financial and otherwise, for our basketball program?

I state the following as a reality check - not to be negative. For those who are still intoxicated with all the Blue Kool-aid you have been downing all year, and for those who believe it is too soon to discuss these topics, and for those who only want to read positive and overly optimistic thoughts, then I am warning you: STOP READING!!

1. JC did a great job this year under extreme circumstances and probably was the best person for the job. Congratulations Jim. I was wrong about you earlier in the year.

2. This was the best Billiken season I have ever witnessed and I go back to the hiring of Grawer.

3. I am thankful for Fr. Biondi in finally getting us the new arena and for Dr. C and others in hiring RM

4. I am thankful for RM for getting us to heights we are at -- higher than I thought before RM.

5. I am thankful for BC, KM, CE and all the others who chose to come here to SLU, who gave SLU all they had and for this year's Bills who chose to stay and give JC all they had.

With all that said, we won only one (1) game in the NCAA Tourney and this was "our year." We are without our HOF coach, KM and CE and we only have our super Juniors for one (1) more year. We beat Butler three (3) times and certainly should be proud of that accomplishment but this was Butler's "down" year, they are reloading, they have a really special coach, they are going to the new BE next year and even in their down year, they went as far as we did -- and lost to a tough Marquette team by only 2 points on a game which could have gone either way. Butler played great yesterday -- better than their talent would suggest. They were one shot away from another Sweet Sixteen in their down year -- not a 20 point blowout loser -- and they still have two (2) Championship Final appearances on their resume.

As to Xavier, they lost all their major contributors last year to graduation and transfers, this was to be a total rebuilding year and yet they still were a factor in the A10, they beat us again this year despite our Junior/Senior laden team and they came close to make the NCAA Tourney. They are now reloading, they also are going to the new Big East and they have a string of NCAA Tourney appearances, including Sweet Sixteen and Elite 8 appearances on their resume.

Not only are we not on the level of Butler or Xavier but as per the financial figures on the prior thread, we have a budget of $3.1 million (and this is with Dr. C and Novelly) while Marquette, Georgetown and Villanova have well-known coaches, sustained success and budgets hovering $10 million while Villanova has a budget of $7 million. The Marquette we knew at the end of Conference USA is long gone. In the midst of this, we are hoping a guy like Jim Crews will keep the sustained growth, accomplishments and upward trend (which RM put in place) all because Crews somehow knows RM's system and can keep this going? Really?? Other than hope and prior accomplishments by RM, what gives everyone the optimism that Crews can and will coach different than his track record suggests? Other than the home runs we hit by the big splash hirings of veteran coaches of Spoon and RM, there is nothing to suggest that SLU will maintain the success its has enjoyed these past two (2) years by returning to its fiscally conservative ways, its small-minded approach to hiring coaches and the belief that recruits and success will come without a truly special coach. We are at a crossroad and need to hit another home run!!

+1

I don't understand why people keep running to the "Majerus" 20-point game. Wasn't that only his second season here? He was still basically working with a team that was only half-his, and his system was not yet fully in place. We were still climbing out of the hole that Brad Soderberg dug this program into. The same type of hole, I might add, that we will find ourselves in again if Jim Crews is not immediately replaced with a more capable recruiter.

The 20 point game was Majerus' first year.

This.