Grantland article on Crews & the Billikens

ShaneR

Hey guys, we published a piece today on Jim Crews and Saint Louis that I thought you all might enjoy. I've been a big fan of the team all year (here's my evidence, from back in October), and I was real happy when I got to speak to Coach Crews and write this story. Sorry for the self-site-promotion, but you've all got one of the best sports stories of the year, and I thought you might like to check out our take on it.

Jim Crews and the Rise of the Saint Louis Billikens

Appreciate the chance to post this.

-Shane

Wonderful article! There is one comment under this article, "Team with strong interior players. That's who is going to beat SLU.". I kind of agreed though. Any thoughts?

I hate to bring this up now, but WR had a hell of a game last night (20 points, 15 rebounds and five blocks). If he were still with us and had his stuff straight we'd be insanely good. I still love this team and am glad to see Willie doing well.

I hate to bring this up now, but WR had a hell of a game last night (20 points, 15 rebounds and five blocks). If he were still with us and had his stuff straight we'd be insanely good. I still love this team and am glad to see Willie doing well.

If we're playing the what-if game, I think WR still would have bounced early after we upset MSU in last year's dance. The Louisville match-up in the S16 would have been a *****.

If we're playing the what-if game, I think WR still would have bounced early after we upset MSU in last year's dance. The Louisville match-up in the S16 would have been a *****.

WR

1) couldn't cut academically it for even half a semester

2) would have gone pro after his RS Jr year if he had in fact been a star on a Sweet 16 team

3) more likely he would have impeded the progress of other players and we'd have been done in by his FT shooting

I wish Willie all the best in the d-league and it would be great if he got even a cup of coffee in the NBA, but we were better off without him.

WR

1) couldn't cut academically it for even half a semester

2) would have gone pro after his RS Jr year if he had in fact been a star on a Sweet 16 team

3) more likely he would have impeded the progress of other players and we'd have been done in by his FT shooting

I wish Willie all the best in the d-league and it would be great if he got even a cup of coffee in the NBA, but we were better off without him.

It's ancient history, but I disagree. I never sensed that Willie was a problem on the court. He had a heck of a sophomore season and made a real impact with his rebounding and shotblocking. Yes the free throws sucked, but he had decent touch around the basket and was usually good for a dunk or two every game. He never had the benefit of playing alongside Loe, McCall, Evans and Jett. If Jett, Evans and Willie were on the floor at the same time, we'd get every rebound. I'd love to find another player like Willie, without the off the court knucklehead factor.

Wonderful article! There is one comment under this article, "Team with strong interior players. That's who is going to beat SLU.". I kind of agreed though. Any thoughts?

Yeah, it seems like a team who can control the boards and hope for a bad shooting night from SLU might have a shot. Very, very interested to see what Brad Stevens has in store if we get Butler-SLU tomorrow. Saint Louis is definitely the better team, but any Brad Stevens squad won't be easy to beat three times in one year. His game plan will probably reveal a lot about what teams will try to do against SLU in the tourney. Really wish I was up in Brooklyn for today and tomorrow's games...

Hey guys, we published a piece today on Jim Crews and Saint Louis that I thought you all might enjoy. I've been a big fan of the team all year (here's my evidence, from back in October), and I was real happy when I got to speak to Coach Crews and write this story. Sorry for the self-site-promotion, but you've all got one of the best sports stories of the year, and I thought you might like to check out our take on it.

Jim Crews and the Rise of the Saint Louis Billikens

Appreciate the chance to post this.

-Shane

Thanks for sharing.

Good bigs are what scares me in an opponent. We've made plenty of bigs look like All-Americans this season.

Like who? Besides Jeff Withey, who actually is an All-American. Ronald Roberts is the only guy who had an outstanding game against us who isn't an All American.

Like who? Besides Jeff Withey, who actually is an All-American. Ronald Roberts is the only guy who had an outstanding game against us who isn't an All American.

In reverse order:

-XU: Taylor had 19 and 19, with 6 blocks.

-GW: Larsen (freshman) had 14 points and Armwood had 10 rebounds and 5 blocks.

-SJU: Roberts had 25 and 7.

-VCU: Reddic had 19 and 12.

-UNCC: Clayton (freshman) had 14 and 8.

-DU: Jones had 19 and 11.

-TU: Lee had 20 and 10.

-UMass: Lalanne had 18 and 13.

-KU: Withey had 25 and 5, with 7 blocks.

-SCU: Trasolini had 9 and 10.

Not all bigs have been dominant against us, but quite a few have had their signature game of the season against us. I didn't list ones where guys were close to their average, but there are a lot of 11-and-8 kind of games in there. We just don't guard the post that well, nor do we outmuscle anyone on the boards. The good news is that more often than not our strengths compensate for that shortcoming. But I worry about seeing someone in the Tournament with a really strong big man.

In reverse order:

-XU: Taylor had 19 and 19, with 6 blocks.

-GW: Larsen (freshman) had 14 points and Armwood had 10 rebounds and 5 blocks.

-SJU: Roberts had 25 and 7.

-VCU: Reddic had 19 and 12.

-UNCC: Clayton (freshman) had 14 and 8.

-DU: Jones had 19 and 11.

-TU: Lee had 20 and 10.

-UMass: Lalanne had 18 and 13.

-KU: Withey had 25 and 5, with 7 blocks.

-SCU: Trasolini had 9 and 10.

Not all bigs have been dominant against us, but quite a few have had their signature game of the season against us. I didn't list ones where guys were close to their average, but there are a lot of 11-and-8 kind of games in there. We just don't guard the post that well, nor do we outmuscle anyone on the boards. The good news is that more often than not our strengths compensate for that shortcoming. But I worry about seeing someone in the Tournament with a really strong big man.

Completely agree, we defend the 3 very well and should be able to handle most teams that rely on that for a considerable amount of their offense