New Rankings thread

NextYearBill

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay Bilas ranks the 68 best teams. Insider article. Has us at 24. Come on Jay.

24. Saint Louis Billikens (Previous ranking: 41) 139.gif

The Billikens have won nine games in a row, including attention-grabbers against VCU and Butler. In fact, Saint Louis beaten Butler twice, and done so in convincing fashion. Jim Crews has not changed the system much from Rick Majerus, and his team takes care of the ball with tremendous strength and resolve, stays in front of you and does not allow second shots. The Billikens also get the shot they want, not the shot you want them to take. This will be a tough team to play in the postseason

Aside from a blowout win against Duquesne, Butler hasn't looked much like itself for two weeks now. The Bulldogs lost to Charlotte, barely squeaked by Fordham and then lost to Saint Louis. Now it's time for what was meant to be the showcase game in the Atlantic 10 -- at VCU on Saturday -- but the Billikens have taken much of the shine off that game by beating both.

"does not allow second shots." It sure seems like we do. This is exactly where I thought we should be. And we also beat what they are now calling the class of the Mountain West and won where the #2 team in the nation could not. Just win baby.

Aside from a blowout win against Duquesne, Butler hasn't looked much like itself for two weeks now. The Bulldogs lost to Charlotte, barely squeaked by Fordham and then lost to Saint Louis. Now it's time for what was meant to be the showcase game in the Atlantic 10 -- at VCU on Saturday -- but the Billikens have taken much of the shine off that game by beating both.

Just like that marquee game between Kentucky and Missouri on Saturday. That's why College GameDay Basketball Version should not schedule out months in advance, but do what Fowler, Herbie and Corso do and that's pick it a week in advance. We welcome Digger and Jalen Rose and Co. with outstretched arms to stop by the 'Fetz. I'll bring the highlighters.

"does not allow second shots." It sure seems like we do. This is exactly where I thought we should be. And we also beat what they are now calling the class of the Mountain West and won where the #2 team in the nation could not. Just win baby.

Last time I looked we were leading the A10 in defensive rebounding percentage. So we are not allowing a lot of second chances.

18 is a nice starting point. Win out and we could end the regular season in the top 10.
18 is a nice starting point. Win out and we could end the regular season in the top 10.

I think it would take a little more than a few mediocre wins to jump to the Top 10. Semi-finals of the a10 tourney at least to jump into the top 10.

SLU is 42nd in the nation in defensive rebounding percentage at 72.7. SLU is a bad offensive rebounding team, but they also make their opponents bad offensive rebounding teams. While there might be moments one remembers that might make it seem like SLU allows a lot of second chance opportunities (such as the VCU possession where they got something like 5 offensive rebounds), the overall numbers show that SLU does a good job of limiting opponents' offensive rebounds.

Edit: Looks like there were a few of us who were thinking the same thing at the same time. Did not mean to pile on, Taj.

I think the coaches got it right in having Memphis ahead of us. They haven't lost since 12/15 and their 3 losses are to VCU, Louisville, and Minnesota. Haven't had to play anybody too tough since then, but still, they're quietly having a strong year.